Costco Phonak Brio 3 (Product Information)

So If you need a device, it won’t be Phonak B Direct.
I have trialed the Resound Forte 8 and decided they weren’t right for me. I called Costco today saying I was bringing them back and was told about the Kirkland 8. With so many from Costco now having direct to Phone capabilities, it will be surprising if the Phonak requires an intermediary device. I didn’t think that was important until I was in New York recently and had a friend in crisis back home calling me often. I could hear them on a busy street corner. Also, driving and having the GPS directions going directly to my aids was very helpful.
I’m hoping the Phonak will have “Direct” but I doubt it.

Phonak Audéo V90.pdf <-VS-> Phonak Audéo B90.pdf

Phonak Brio 2 Phonak Brio 3
AutoSense OS:
Calm Situation Yes Yes
Speech in Noise Yes Yes
Comfort in Noise Yes Yes
Music Yes Yes
Speech in Loud Noise Yes Yes
Speech in Car Yes Yes
Comfort in Echo Yes Yes
Additional programs:
Max. additional programs 5 5
Speech in Wind Yes Yes
Comfort in Echo Yes Yes
Speech in Loud Noise Yes Yes
Speech in 360° Yes Yes
Speech in Noise Yes Yes
Calm Situation Yes Yes
Comfort in Noise Yes Yes
Music Yes Yes
Acoustic phone Yes Yes
Custom program Yes Yes
Streaming programs:
Max. streaming programs 4 4
Bluetooth audio + mic Yes Yes
Bluetooth phone / DECT + mic Yes Yes
RemoteMic / Roger Yes Yes
Audio jack Yes Yes
Features:
UltraZoom Yes Yes
SNR-Boost Yes Yes
FlexControl Yes Yes
FlexVolume Yes Yes
DuoPhone Yes Yes
SoundRecover Yes SoundRecover 2
User Preference Tuning Yes Yes
Real Ear Sound Yes Yes
Finetuning Channels 20 20
WhistleBlock Yes Yes
NoiseBlock Yes Yes
WindBlock Yes Yes
EchoBlock Yes Yes
SoundRelax Yes Yes
QuickSync Yes Yes
AOV Yes Yes
auto Acclimatization Yes Yes
2 Likes

PVC just did the same kind of report for the KS8. It showed renamed features. This one doesn’t. So, is this a worse product than the “enhanced” KS8?

No way to really tell from this. It looks like the KS8 is more improved.

Yet, the Beyond has an improved processor and that allows more code to work in real time. So, it is a better/improved product but the specs above don’t tell that story.

So how do you tell? Stick it in your ear. :blush:

Brio 3 has Sound Recover 2 which the Brio 2 does not (except in ultra power version) Sound Recover 2 uses dynamic frequency lowering whereas Brio 2 is static.

Thanks I saw that but then lost it during the mechanics of producing the table with copy/paste. I fixed it.

2 Likes

This stuff is tough to decipher. I don’t see much difference between the old Phonak Audéo V models and the new Phonak Audéo B models. Except, they added a rechargable model, WhoopDeeDo! Oh, and a SoundRecover2 tweak.

But wait, there is the new Phonak Audéo B-Direct and that is new. It has the new SWORD chip and offers direct connectivity to cellphones (iPhone and Android). Though I believe the new SWORD chip resides in just this one model, the Audéo B-Direct.

What this looks like to me (except for the rechargeable model and SoundRecover tweak) is that the other Phonak Audéo models (B90, B70, B50, B30) just got a name change from Audéo V to Audéo B. I don’t see any other changes. Thus the Phonak Brio 3 hasn’t changed from the Phonak Brio 2, except for the SoundRecover2 tweak.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you are right, not until Audeo B Direct is there a new chip (SWORD).

"The Audeo Belong Receiver In Canal hearing device range is the first Phonak hearing device range with a rechargeable option. This in itself is quite an amazing innovation and a new direction for them. However there is much more that is new in this range than just that, the Belong comes with an upgraded operating system, the latest version of Phonak’s SoundRecover2 and new microphones and programme buttons.
The range uses the existing Venture chipset…"
from—hearingaidknow dot com

I’m not sure when they say “upgraded operating system” what that means when they also say the Audeo B “uses the existing Venture chipset”

I wonder how important SoundRevover2 will be for me. It might be valuable since I have so much loss in the higher frequency range.

Maybe SoundRecover2 (because it’s adaptive) will make you hate it less, and therefore leave it activated as opposed to turning it off :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also the Audeo B has Telecoil in the 312 battery size. I’m not sure about the Kirkland 8.
Maybe not important to most people but I would consider that a plus.

the only this I dislike is that there is something newer…don’t jump all over me for saying that.

Although KS7 has telecoil, KS8 does not appear to.

There be some truth to that! Frequency lowering is often not tolerated. Sound Recover 2 is supposed to be better tolerated. Also, frequency lowering often takes a fair amount of tinkering to get right and I think what often happens is that it’s turned on, patient complains and fitter turns it off. See, it didn’t work. I’ve been playing with frequency lowering on my KS7s for close to a year now and still not sure I’ve got my settings optimized. Biggest difference I notice is that I hear more bird songs and I can hear our dog’s tags “tinkle” (No, I still can’t hear him “tinkle!”) when he approaches from behind.

You have similar loss to mine, so I pay attention to your findings.
I have a very large dog and I can hear him tinkle…get a bigger dog.
But my young grandkids have started talking in fake VERY low voices so that I can hear them.
They think it’s quite funny (Me too).

1 Like

I hate it when the manufacturers come out with a seemingly new platform which is anything but a new platform. Considerable effort is required to discover when/if/how they are doing this.

Oticon did something similar with the Alta/Nera/Ria, Alta1/Nera1/Ria1, Alta2/Nera2/Ria2 (1’s are the VA models with a tinnitus feature). Sure there a few changes here and there but it is basically the same technology.

This instance is clearly a case in point. Some Firmware/software changes (SoundRecover2) minor cosmetic changes (microphones and programme buttons you say) and Voila, a new Audéo B platform. This chaps my hide.

I have significant high frequency (treble/voice/consonants) hearing loss. Lower frequencies are basically OK.

Last year I tried the Kirkland Signature 7 hearing aids. I returned them to Costco because the sound was way too tinny and unnatural. About a month ago I purchased the Phonak Brio 2 hearing aids from Costco. The sound quality is much better than the Kirkland S7 but the Brio 2 has some weird quirks.

One thing is that I frequently can hear the noise of the hearing aid itself adjusting its position behind my ears or against my glasses. The Kirkland S7 didn’t do that. It sounds like the plastic case is loose if that’s possible.

Another weird thing is that it seems like the algorithms in the hearing aids will cause the hearing aids to make frequent and noticeable changes to the functioning microphone levels causing me to have to frequently readjust my focus and concentration to account for the volume changes in my ears. Hopefully that explanation makes some sense.

I was thinking of returning the Brio 2 hearing aids to try the Brio 3 hearing aids. Any thoughts?

I was also thinking of returning the Brio 2 hearing aids and trying the GT Resound hearing aids. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I have an Android phone.

Thank you for your assistance.

I’m not sure if this is the right term, program hunting comes to mind. Mine automatically switch programs when they determine things like noise. For example the blower fan in the vehicle, fans/equipment at work. Are there things like that in the background that might be causing yours to change?

I have not seen the Brio 3 SP -13 battery - or UP - 675 battery - introduced to Costco yet. It has recently been introduced to Phonak as the Naida B-SP or B-UP.h Normally there is a period of time between Phonak introducing to their dealers and releasing to Costco. I currently wear the Brio 2 -675 which uses the V platform. The Brio 3 uses the newer B platform and the Brio 3 units just introduced to Costco do not include the Costco future model of the Phonak Naida 90 B SP or UP. Could be several months.

So I have had these for about 3 to 4 weeks now. I can say that yes my hearing is much better and with regards to the Sound Recover 2, I can really tell the difference with it on in a restaurant setting. It really cuts “out” a lot of the background noise so that I can hear people that I am sitting with at the table.

1 Like

What are the differences in features beside more power between the recently released Costco Brio 3 b bte with the 13 battery and Brio 3 b btw with the 675 battery.

I’m not sure there are any. The 675 is larger of course and is an UltraPower aid designed for profound losses.