Costco, Not a provider for United Health Care Choice Plus

Hi Folks, I’ve been lurking on this forum off an on for a while. Lots of good posts and info here. I’ve been all fired up to go to Costco to hopefully get some new hearing aids but just talked to my insurance company and was told that my local Costco is not a provider.

My UHC Choice Plus will pay 80% up to $2500 on a hearing aid purchase every 3 years as long as you go with their list of providers. Was hoping to get maybe some Kirkland Signature 5.0’s or maybe some Phonak Brio’s but I’m sure if I go to my regular ENT, they will be way more pricey for something way less. The younger insurance tech I talked to wasn’t very helpful.

Have any of you ran into this? Is their a work around? I know Costco doesn’t file insurance claims for you. I’m going back to Costco again this coming weekend after I get the wax removed from my ears but I guess that may be on the outs as of now. I’m still using some older Siemens Artis that I’ve had for about 5 years and know I could be hearing better. Thanks:confused:

0250 Hz L-40 R-55
0500 Hz L-40 R-55
1000 Hz L-35 R-55
2000 Hz L-60 R-65
4000 Hz L-115 R-NR
8000 Hz L-NR R-NR

Does your insurance have an out-of-network option where you can pay up front, then fill out the forms and get reimbursed?

I pay 100% of full price when I buy a hearing aid. Be glad you have insurance. None of the health insurances in my adult life have ever covered hearing aids. Is that $2500 per aid, or for both?

I would call in to the list of providers and make sure they sell aids that you actually want and specifically ask them if if uhc covers that particular brand and MODEL. I would not be surprised if uhc has a list of covered brands and models that may not have the features you want.

My UHC policy reimbursed $1,000 on hearing aids once every 3 years. I bought at Costco, and UHC reimbursed. You may check with UHC to see if they would reimburse if you pay out of pocket. Their network limitation may only be a limitation on handling the claim and making the first payment.

1 Like

Thanks Guys, I’m going to Costco Friday for my hearing test and to see what they recommend I need. I plan to go ahead and get fitted for some new custom ear molds while all the wax is out.

I’ll see what the gal at Costco says about getting the insurance to reimburse she might know some about it. I think $2500 is the total coverage paid out “in network” after your deductible is met. From what I’ve read, uhc wants to sell the Hihealtinnovtions hearing aids. I’ll just have to see how it goes and make some more phone calls.

I’ve never had insurance to cover anything on hearing aids before either, so it would be a first for me as well. If they even covered a grand on some, that would be a help. I’ll yell back later on and post my hearing test scores.

0250 Hz L-40 R-55
0500 Hz L-40 R-55
1000 Hz L-35 R-55
2000 Hz L-60 R-65
4000 Hz L-115 R-NR
8000 Hz L-NR R-NR

Dammit - I’ve just been switched over to UHC this January, and was excited to see that they cover HAs, where my previous insurer did not. Caveat, though … United only pays for HAs after you’ve paid your annual deductible … in my case, 3,000. Other than being half deaf :wink: I’m perfectly healthy and doubt I’ll hit that kind of out-of-pocket expenditure.

I need to look into that Costco out-of-network situation…

Everyone working and paying for aids should be using FSA funds.

I was looking at United for hearing aid coverage but did not know I had to hit the deductible. So i guess that puts me back to square one.

Thank you for that bit of information.

Got my hearing tested at Costco this past Friday. Seems like it all went well. “Hope my test scores showed up on this post.” I went ahead and got some new custom ear mold impressions taken for $79.80. I plan to go back probably this weekend and hand over the lute to get the ball rolling, if I can scrape it up.

The fitter seemed to think the Kirkland Signature 5.0’s would be ok for me. I mentioned the Phonak Brio’s. She said that would even be a better choice. By the way, she did say the Kirkland Signature 6.0 should be out by the first of June if anyone was wandering.

Anyway, the Phonak Brio B-M13 is what I planning to get as of now. She called Phonak while I was their and ask if I could get the B-M13 with the slightly bigger tubes for the lucite molds that I’m going to get, and they said yes. The B-M13’s are a whopping $2598.99. My flexible spending card doesn’t have a pin number, so I’ll have to get reimbursed from them because Costco won’t let you use a card without a pin.

I think my UHC plan pays 60% out of network after my annual detuctible is met. Does annual deductible mean my normal $500 or will it mean the out of network $1000? The UHC website also says "benefits are available for a hearing aid that is purchased as a result of a written recommendation by a Physician. Will a Costco fitter do for this clause? The Costco fitter said they would supply all the information, codes, etc… for me to easily file my own insurance claim.

Any helpful advice or comments are welcomed. I guess being half deaf aint all it’s cracked up to be.:wink:

They take musical instruments now in trade? Good to know. :slight_smile:

Hello, I have sent 2 claims via mail to UHC for my Costco hearing aids and I have never ever head from them. Is there a number or something we need to call/do before mailing the claims? Thanks in advance.

This is an ancient thread now, but I did get some money back from United Health Care for my Costco KS4.0 and KS7.0 aids – $1000 each time, if I remember clearly.

My insurance pays 2500 every other year. But it’s up to the insurance company who they honor. The best you can do is call your insurance and asked them about Costco

I just switched over to UHC and I want use Costco as well. I
My plan:

Routine hearing exam

Your plan provides you with one routine hearing exam every year to help maintain and improve your overall hearing health.

You pay $0copay

Hearing aids

For hearing aids provided through UnitedHealthcare Hearing, up to two hearing aids every year.

You are responsible for all hearing aid costs not purchased from a UnitedHealthcare Hearing network provider.

UnitedHealthcare Hearing offers personal help scheduling routine hearing exam and finding custom-programmed hearing aids to meet your needs and budget. Access to top hearing aid brands including Beltone, Oticon, Phonka, ReSound, Signia, Starkey, Unitron, Widex, and more.

Up to$3,600 allowance