Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

Not sure what the KS9 can do on phone calls and streaming, but the KS8 can attenuate the microphones when you are streaming or pick up a phone call. The default is 30% attenuation, but it can be adjusted. There is also an on-off switch (in the programming software) for adaptive volume. If the surrounding sound volume goes up and down the adaptive feature increases and decreases streaming volume to suit. As a last resort there is also the hardware buttons on the side of the iPhone to adjust volume.

I find the iPhone app useful for changing programs, but I have a total of 9 programs. With a small number of programs it is probably easier to just use the aid buttons. The other use I have of the app is a manual adjustment of the microphone focus in difficult listening situations. The app is probably where your battery indication is, but with a zinc-air battery, it is pretty much useless. The battery stays at a constant voltage and then drops like a stone within minutes once it starts to die. I just get a battery out to air up at the first battery warning tone. I never look at the battery status as it is pretty much meaningless.

Hearing aids increase the background noise levels that one does not hear with impaired hearing. That tends to mask tinnitus.

1 Like

We biased the stream a little bit to the right. Still fiddling with stuff.

Yes, the KS9s can do the same, though I don’t know what the default is. We tried silencing the mics completely but it didn’t seem to help much and I see some value in not being totally shut off from the world that way. Good suggestion though and it was worth a try.

I find muting after adjusting volume when streaming a real plus depending on environmental noise.

RDB

1 Like

When I mute the KS9’s I find they unmute when a notification comes in from my phone. Is there a way to keep them muted after the notification?

Mine mute with a long hold on the lower button, so when un-muted by a notification or any other adjustment, re-mute.

RDB

They automatically re-mute, or you have to do that?

Mute will stay on until any interruption, then you must re-mute, if you want.

RDB

1 Like

I’m no expert Rob… but I believe that Tinnitus is essentially a hallucination as the brain tries to compensate for the high frequency stimulation that it is not receiving due, I suppose, to the deterioration of the hair cells in the inner ear. My dominant reaction to the KS9s (my first HAs ever) was to note the “tinniness” of high frequency sound. These high frequencies actually stimulate the brain. I too have experienced the almost permanent absence of the Tinnitus I had been experiencing before using the KS9s. Now that we actually are receiving the higher frequencies, maybe we don’t need to hallucinate. And I also perceive the “energizing” effect of better hearing which is a huge benefit. - especially in terms of the studies re hearing loss and dementia… I find the Automatic program works well for me and I haven’t found a need to add anything manual.

1 Like

Tinnitus is a real phantom sound, after my first Meniere’s attack the sound seemed unbearable, and the quieter the environment the worse it seemed. After being able to return to work I happened to have a job in a mountainous secluded area, and can remember getting out of my truck and it sounding like a million crickets. A cure was explained to me as I was still seeing an ENT, it involved surgery to cut the auditory nerve, never to hear anything, I declined. That was 40 years ago, and as I got better and over the vertigo, I became used to the tinnitus, told myself it was the sound of being alive. So it became a positive, or at least an ignored feature of my life.

My first set of HA’s had a tinnitus block, and was great overall to hear so much better. After 7 years replaced them with KS3’s now 9 years more and the KS9’s provide me with the best hearing experience since before 1979. In quiet today it still rings whether my HA’s are on or not, on or off makes no difference, however in a sound environment where the HA’s are giving me sound I hardly notice even if wanting too. Music has been great!

My high frequency loss is pretty high, and the Costco fitter adjusted them so the higher frequencies that are difficult, a high pitched female voice for example, comes back as slightly lower frequency. This has improved word recognition, at first it seemed as if every body was lisping, but realized it was just a sound I hadn’t heard in a long time, and has pretty much disappeared.

RDB

4 Likes

That’s a great story, thanks for sharing.

Lots of us on this forum deal with tinnitus. It seems we just have to put it in its place to get along with it.

The KS9 aids are pretty nice. My wife is really enjoying hers, they are her first. My 2 hour trial around the Costco proved I will get a pair in time or the Phonak Marvel Aids when they start showing up used on the net.

The technology has definitely taken a step up.

This may have been answered, but can the KS9’s only be paired to one BT device at a time, and require repairing if changing?

Or can it pair to multiple devices but only connected to 1 at a time?

TIA

Yes to one device at a time.

1 Like

Yes, one at a time, so leaving it paired to the smart phone is best, and use a TV connector for any other audio. If you pair them to your TV and want to go back to the phone you may have to clear the TV before you can re-pair to the phone and Easy Line app. its not a convenient method.

RDB

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it but this is such a long discussion. After release of the new Marvel M90 version did anyone detail the differences to KS9s?

No, he actually offered more details than that further down but also made it clear that until release in mid-August he could not be more specific. I’m looking for those specifics if they have already been discussed, rather than trying to suss it out from scratch and guess at relevance.

ss510, I believe this is what you’re referring to—

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF47D549d2M

Wife of a new (formerly reluctant, now converted) hearing aid wearer. We got him, since I was unsure if he’d be compliant, a pair at Costco: Kirkland 9.0’s.

I know from reading here that there’s going to be an adjustment period, but one thing that’s really bugging him is that the volume seems to jump around on him a lot - will get really loud, he’ll adjust, then later will drop, etc. I’m a little confused about the relationship between the volume adjustment in the iphone app and on the device. The audiologist said something about remembering to swipe closed the app sometimes, for some reason, so we don’t know if it’s related to that.

Anyone else experience volume jumping up and down for no apparent reason, when using the Kirkland 9.0’s and the Easy Line app?

Easy Line is not responsible, but may well show changes. However just opening the phone will cut volume, so when done with the app it should be closed. Depending on the loss, the Music program may well be responsible for volume changes, watch for it, if that could be the reason, melodies on TV can cause this, and the Music program can be turned down so it doesn’t do that.

RDB

The KS9 aids have multiple programs making up the AutoSense program. Pending on the environment you are in the KS9 aids will change programs automatically based on programming preferences.

The volume up and down you speak of could be the aids changing programs within AutoSense. Try to verify your environment when these volume changes happen. Take notes about these things and if you want them changed you can ask your fitter to make the needed changes. Taking notes about everything and the environment you are in at the time is a huge help for your fitter to make the changes you are needing.

2 Likes