Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

@Torbill, how do you make this switch? I had no idea one could control whether the phone uses 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz. Is this a setting in the phone or in your router? I have been plagued with WiFi dropout issues ever since iOS 13, and am wondering if your solution might be my solution…

I can only speak to my router, but I presume that all 5G-capable routers work similarly(?):

My router, in the default/factory settings, sends out both a 2.4 and 5G signal. You can see it on the phone in the Wifi settings. When I look at my WiFi connection page in “Settings” on the iphone/ipad I see NETGEAR56 and NETGEAR56-5G. I simply select the 5G signal. If you aren’t seeing something like this, maybe you don’t have a 5G capable router?

There are many things, such as home security systems, that used to be near/on the 2.4 GB frequency, and could potentially interfere. I don’t know how it is, now. But 5G is pretty clean, albeit more distance limited.

I’m not sure why this would be a new problem in IOS 13, though.

1 Like

You might also try changing the channel on your 2.4GHz band. I seem to remember 2.4 will have better range than 5GHz. But that may be an old wives tale.

Ok, I get it now. My router uses SmartSteering which is supposed to be the magic solution to using both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands efficiently. The router decides dynamically which one to use. So when I go to connect I only see one option. Your router has obviously been set up to separate the two bands and let you manually choose which one to connect to. Next I think I have to figure out how to un SmartSteer the bands without messing things up too badly.

I think that is true. One source I looked at said about 90 feet for 5 GHz, and much more for 2.4. Here is a table I found in an article from my internet provider.

In principle a higher frequency signal is more directional. So, maybe the trouble is that you are mostly on a 5G signal and are cutting out in fringe situations. And not 2.4G interference. Best to see if you can get better control of what the WiFi network is putting out.

Does that mean you need not pair your iPhone with Ooma phone as 2 BT devices?

My Ooma Hub is hard wired with an Ethernet cable to my home router. We have no Ooma phones, just a Panasonic wireless system where the Home base for it is just plugged into the Ooma Hub with a regular phone cable jack.

My iPhone is normally just paired to my KS8 hearing aids. When I open the Ooma app on my iPhone, the audio is routed to my hearing aids like any other audio on the iPhone. There is no pairing to Ooma phones or the Ooma Hub.

There is a good test case for you. Wireless telephones are notorious for interfering with 2.4G home networks. Pull the phone base power and any battery backup and see if your problem goes away.

Can’t you just hold either button on the hearing aid to move to the next program.

Yes! This worked @Sierra pointed this out in a previous post. Thank you. I think I did not hold on to the button long enough previously.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

This remote might work with KS9s. You would probably need to buy it from a dealer, so it probably isn’t inexpensive as it’s appearance and function may suggest.

https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/accessories/phonak-remotecontrol.html

1 Like

As I had mentioned earlier, a long push on the high side will disconnect the TV connector and put you back in the automatic program. Nothing wrong with a remote either, but would check with your hearing aid dispenser for suitability, and price through Costco.

RDB

I have my Noahlink on order, and my follow up from the initial fitting later this week, so if I can get myself connected up to Target, and the fitting changes make me more inclined to think I’ll stick with the KS9s (still on the fence right now), then I’m thinking of buying one of these remote controls just to see if I can link it with the KS9s through Target - If I succeed, I’ll be sure to post about it! Bob

Out of 10, what would you guys rate the KS9? I think the biggest problem for me would not understanding speech easily especially in loud environment such as cars and malls. Would you guys say that these hearing aids have an improvement with that? is there a way to make payments on KS9?

The KS9 would rate a 10 based on price, and perhaps an 8-9 on performance. The KS9 automatic program has the programs that will improve speech understanding in loud environments. Speech in noise, and speech in loud noise work quite well, and I have them as manuals. Costco accepts credit cards.

RDB

I recently got my KS9 HA and am having a problem with using the bluetooth with my Pixel 3 phone. (Android)
1-I can answer the incoming call by touching the button on the HA and start talking, during the call (all of a sudden) the person doesn’t hear me.
2-When making a call from the phone, the calls aren’t going through. I have to turn off the wireless bluetooth connection and make the call and use my phone up to my ear.
So my question is, what am I possibly doing wrong. Is there a setting that Costco has to change or am expecting to much?

You have a pretty significant high slope loss. You may be better with a high power BTE aid than the KS9. It is a good price though, and may be worth a try.

Any Recommendation of high power BTE Aids?