Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

In my KS-9s, I am getting ALL the sounds my iPhone XR makes via Bluetooth (keyboard clicks, text alerts, system sounds, etc). I don’t remember that happening when I tested the Marvel 90s. Anyone else?

Uburobob: Check the user portal. I use Android. But I suspect you need to turn off whatever system sounds you don’t want to hear, in your phone settings.

2 Likes

In addition to what Jackster said, many have reported the same thing with the Marvels.

My Samsung s8/Trax42 combo switches to bluetooth when a video starts or I take a picture, regardless of whether I have the phone muted or not. [grumble] Hoping the KS9 hearing aid doesn’t do this, but realistically my issue is probably a phone problem, not a hearing aid problem.

2 Likes

That is exactly what the KS-9s do…every sound the phone makes comes through the aids.

Excuse me if these have been discussed, but there seemed to be some confusion about at least the TV connector.

If the Costco HA’s are identical to the Marvels, there are two important things I know about the Marvels:

1. They can only pair with one BT device at a time. Make that your phone, IMO. When you do that, it links for both handsfree and stereo music streaming. In my Android phone, I can disable one or the other if I wanted to, but every sound from the phone would still come through.

2. The Phonak “TV Connector” does NOT operate with Bluetooth. It uses Phonak’s “AirStream” protocol. Separate from Roger AFAIK. It can definitely be linked at the same time as your phone. When the phone makes a sound, it’ll mute the TV sound, but then it’ll come back a couple of seconds later. Comfortably manageable, in my experience. And it’s WAY more convenient than un-pairing the phone and re-pairing with a Bluetooth TV transmitter.

2 Likes

For those complaining of call quality for the other caller: The feedback measure matters. If it hasn’t been run, have your provider run it. Ask them to set whichever ear has the better feedback measure as the master BT ear. If the feedback measure is junky (i.e. you’re in open domes when you need closed, or any domes when you need custom tips) the call quality for ther person on the other end is going to be junky.

5 Likes

The only criticism I get for the audio the caller hears is that it sounds like I am on speaker phone, which is legitimate, considering the distance of the mics from my mouth.

1 Like

Hi,

Thinking of upgrading to KS 9.0. Few questions for those of you that already got fitted at Costco:

Fitting process

• What is the custom mold process like, and how long does it take?
  • Is the trial in-store only or is there an option for an extended trial?
  • Do they provide small things like filters and domes free of charge, or do you have to pay for them?
  • I tune my own hearing aids at home with my own hardware. Can I do the same with these?

Hearing aid

• How’s the feedback management - do you still experience some in certain situations?
  • How well are you able to hear someone talking to you in a noisy environment - do you feel it’s an improvement over your previous HA?
  • Is there any CROS compatibility for this particular model?

The mold process is like everywhere else I’ve had it done. Mix the 2 colors of “putty”, syringe it into the canal, wait to harden, then they send it in. It delays delivery of your new aids a few days (get mine Monday).
Trial is in-store, but you can return them any time for any reason for 6 months after purchase.
I’ve never been charged for filters/etc, but that might vary.

2 Likes

Thanks! Please share thoughts about your custom mold when you get it.

Almost all of the problems I’ve had with my current Signia HAs stem from their lab’s incompetence when it comes to making custom molds, even with specific instructions and labelled photos - out of 15-20 custom mold remakes, only one has been satisfactory. I’m curious if the lab Costco sends their impressions to is any good.

In Canada Costco gets their impressions done by the manufacturer. The are converted to 3D digital in Ontario, and the actual molds made in Holland. That is for Rexton/Signia/Sivantos. Not sure for the US. But, for RIC they are pretty much forced to go back to the manufacturer as the molds have to fit the specific receiver.

I am on my third set (and best set so far) from Costco for my KS8’s. The KS9’s of course will have to come from Phonak.

It’s been a few years, but when I had molds made for my Rexton Trax 42’s at Costco (U.S.), the audi told me I could have them done by the manufacturer or Westone. I told her to have it done by the maker she thought would do best, and so my silicone molds are by Westone. I was satisfied with what I got first try. My audi is very deliberate, which is undoubtedly a good thing for mold-making. Maybe I was lucky.

My callers report excellent sound quality from the KS 9 mics. My phone is an Android, Pixel 3. I am really pleased with the quality of the calls, even in wind.

1 Like

Neville,

I’m really interested in this because BT HF is one of the reasons I sprang for these. Are you saying that there’s feedback that distorts the incoming sound (which ends up being sent to the caller on the other end)?

And what is “feedback measure”? Not sure what I’d be asking for.

My right ear is the master BT device and it does tend to whistle in the presence of the ventilation at my office (even though whistle stop is turned up), but I don’t detect actual feedback except when I cup my hand over it.

I can see if my audi can switch it to the left ear, which has much weaker amplification, but I think she said on the actual Marvels it has to be the right because that’s the one that pairs.

I’m sorry to be dense here; what do you mean by “in-store only” for the
KS9 trial? Literally taken does that mean I can try out the aids for 6 months
but only wear them in the Costco store? I must be getting old…

I think the “in store trial” means the only way you can trial the aids without paying for them–probably 30 minutes at best. After you purchase them, in the US you have up to 180 days to return them with full refund. Many don’t consider this a “trial” because you have to put up money.

1 Like

I will answer here.
The store trial is with demo aids in the store only. If you like the aids you can pay for them in full and will have a 6 month money back guarantee in the USA and 3 months in Canada. For any reason you can return those aids for the 6 months or 3 months.

2 Likes

The loss in your right ear is not all that bad, and should not be a major feedback problem. Not sure how changing the BT to the other ear would help? However, what you might want to consider is a different fitting in the right ear. Are you using an open fitting? If so, you may want to try a semi closed or closed. The best way to prevent feedback is to not let it start.

In store trial was not an option offered to me. My guess is the Audi might let you try a demo pair (if they have them) for a brief in store trial. In my case, I accepted the Audi’s recommendation to purchase the KS9 ($1,500 plus additional for a “drying case”). I now have 6 months to return them, if I so decide, provided normal wear and tear, no questions asked. Seems like a very fair deal to me.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, a very fair deal…6 months is long enough for
your brain to adjust to new aids ( or not adjust as the case may be);
does Costco throw in any service and/or batteries with this
purchase?