Costco Kirkland Signature 5.0

thanks, Cat,

i have talked to thee different Costco fitters. Each said that the Costco KS5 is “very similar” to the Resound verso 9.

i believe that.

And i understand that fitters outside of Costco prefer to emphasize differences, and to say truthfully that the KS5 has a FIVE in its name.
Last years Kirkland Signature was the KS4.

and the prvious model was the KS3.

Tough to try to compete with Costco, imo

caveat emptor

elijah

If you are interested in the KS562 Specifications and Benefits they are posted on this thread: Anyone else TOO far from a Costco for it to be a viable choice?

I’m trying out the Costco KS5. It has all the features of the Resound Verso 962.

I have been to several audiologists for hearing aids and two ENT doctors.

1. Cost - (Costco) KS5 (includes remote) $1899 for pair
    (Wholesale audiologist) Resound Versa 962, $6800, but would give them to me for $6000

2. Audiogram - ENT wanted to charge me $150 for a copy (and test). Said the audiogram you get at a hearing aid place is not the same as the tests they do. (but you get the same info).

3. Audiologists - I have been to several in town. Several are no longer in business. They will not give you the audiogram unless you purchase a HA from them. Some push the low end aids (still at high costs $2k-3k pair), and some push the higher end ($6k-8k). If you purchase a HA somewhere else and want to have it adjusted they charge $50-$100 per visit.

4. Costco - 3yr warrantee vs 1-2 yrs if you buy from an audiologist. I know Costco will take care of you with no hassle.

5. Costco - We have several in town (3). No hassle return policy (90 days). You’re correct sometimes they don’t have the latest, but the audiologist aren’t always selling the top of the line either.
    You’re results will vary from Costco to Costco. My Costco just fired the audi and got a new one.

I’ve made friends with some of the audiologist in town, I would rather buy from them, but I can’t afford 3x the cost since my insurance won’t cover HAs. I usually program my own, since I have a better understanding of the software than many of them.
You may have to wait a week for an appointment at Costco.

I’m still trying the KS5 and I have issues with them “popping”, when I listen to music. The volume of the music doesn’t seem to matter (low, high) nor does the volume of the HAs. This only occurs with some songs.
Also I play guitar and get some feedback with some notes.

All this occurs regardless of program (Normal, Restaurant, Music, Automobile).

As a fellow Houstonian on her 3rd set of hearing aids my choice of Costco has mostly to do with service and cost.

My first 2 sets of hearing aids came to me via well regarded Audiologists. Since I hadn’t discovered this forum, I went into the purchase of my first aids blind and relied on the recommendation of the Audiologist. Yes, at that time I was vain and wanted them hidden so I opted for CIC aids because the Audiologist idn’t spend any time explaining my options. The cost was close to $5000. We moved to Spring and I found a new Audiologist in the Woodlands for the 2nd set of aids. I believe they were Oticon Duals, mid range and almost $6000 with the bells and whistles.

Aids number three came from Costco, where I had a better hearing test than with the Woodlands Audiologist and at least as good as the Memorial Audiologist. What set the Costco dispenser high above the others was the hour she spent explaining the options and THEN when we were almost at the order point, I explained I wanted purple hearing aids. She didn’t even blink even though we were almost back to square one. I ordered red … but also have panels in blue, green, orange, eagles, whales, elephants, dragons and a host of other more boring colors. I paid $2800 and whenever there has been a problem, it was quickly resolved.

Technology is rapidly changing, Bluetooth connectivity is still evolving and having to keep a $6000 set of hearing aids for 5 or 6 years (or more) because of cost, puts you behind the curve tech wise. For $3000 or less, I can upgrade my aids at the 3 year mark and keep up to date with the current (or even almost current) technology.

I’m looking forward to my next Costco hearing aids later this year and can’t wait to hear from the folks who’ve been fitted with the new Kirkland 5.

I want to echo what Cleocat wrote. Is that possible? Echo writing? With a hearing loss I hear lots of strange things; or think I do. All in fun! Seriously though, cleo spoke, err wrote my experience and sentiments exactly. That, plus the national network of Costco locations.

Well, not exactly true, at least not like you mean (except of course the last one).

Costco sells the current top model of Resound, Siemens/Rexton, and Bernafon. Costco does get those top models a few months after their release, but for most of the time, like now, there is not a higher model sold anywhere for those brands.

Some models are locked to Costco, like the Resound, but I think the Siemens/Rexton and Bernafon models are not. I’m not sure so maybe someone can verify. But, even if a model is “locked”, that means you only have 600 locations where you can walk in and they are contractually bound to give you free adjustments (buy at Costco and you get free adjustments for life). Buy at a local shop and you are completely on your own when traveling or for any other reason you can’t go to that one shop.

I haven’t had mine for 5 years but my understanding is that Costco has free followup visits for life. My documents do not show an expiration date. You may be talking about how long some manufacturers will accept hearing aids for repair. If some manufacturers refuse to fix their hearing aids after 5 years, that is certainly not an issue with Costco.

To answer your question, the reason someone would want to go to Costco in the first place is, 1) they give an excellent exam with up to date equipment, 2) they take time to show you your options, without sales pressure, 3) they have a reasonable selection of top end aids, 4) their prices are better (way better), 5) they include loss and damage (2 year), warranty (3 year), and unlimited followup adjustments, and 6) a hassle-free 90 day return. Plus they have an excellent roasted chicken for $4.99, and I buy my contact lenses in the optical center.

1 Like

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on which would be better for music, KS5 or the Bernafon? The price at Costco encourages us to update to newer technology on a much more frequent basis.

My Au,D has not been able to get the Premium Music program to work on my Bernafon Acriva 9’s after six weeks of trial. When I switch to this program it is almost like I turned the mute on. We exchanged the aids but it did not fix the problem. Music sounds good in the Muilti-Enviorment program. The Bernafon support has been of no help to my Costco Au,D. She is hoping to get answers at the conference she attending this week.

My Au,D built me a music program by coping the Muilti-Environment program and then turning several features like wind noise off and tweeking several other pramaters. I must say that the result is very good for listening to music on my suround sound system. The KS 5.0’s that I will be trialing in two weeks will have to be very very good to beat it.

That’s brilliant! - I’m going to open up a branch with a food franchise in it. ‘Unlucky Fried Kitten’ anybody?

I think all you need to do is look at Costco’s policies regarding hearing aids and compare them to most audiologist practices policies and you will see why people go the Costco for their hearing aids. Contrary to what you have said, Costco does have current aids in the Rexton, Resound and Bernafon lines and they offer them at a substantial reduction in price over there audiologist counterparts. They also offer a 90 day no hassle trail with most audiologist only offering a 30 day trial or 45 day trial if mandated by state law and at Costco if you want to return the aids they will give you ALL your money back, at an audiologist you will only get back what you paid minus a percentage for the time they spent on you or what they are allowed to keep as mandated by state law.

As for locked hearing aids: I was told some were and some weren’t but with 600 stores you have a good chance of finding a Costco that can service or adjust your HA’s at no further cost to you. I would guess you would have difficulty finding many audiologist who would adjust your unlocked Costco HA’s anyway and if they would they would probably charge you a couple hundred bucks to adjust your Costco HA’s or those even bought from another audiologist.

I have also been told by audiologist knocking Costco that they can’t clean your ears and they don’t offer as comprehensive ear exam as an audiologist does or would. That’s probably true at Costco if your being seen by a HIS, but if they are an audiologist working at Costco I would bet they could legally clean your ears if Costco allows it. My own experience with Costco is that they gave me a more thorough exam than I ever received by an audiologist and the only time I had a lot of wax in my ears at the audiologist I was sent to the hospital they were affiliated with to have my ears flushed out. Another thing the patient screening questionnaire was basically the same at both Costco and my audiologist and they are both legally obligated to refer any patient with one of the RED FLAGS to a doctor or ENT office to be checked out.

Regarding there service and repair program: they offer a very good loss and damage warranty and will adjust your aids for as long as you own them. I’m not sure about Costco not servicing HA’s after 5 years being a company policy or the fact that most manufacturers won’t service an aid that is 5 years or older, in either case, I asked this question at my local Costco and they said if the manufacturer couldn’t service the HA they would recommend a private repair center that they have used in the past. However, lot of audiologist won’t service your aids after 5 years either and only want to sell you new HA’s after 5 years, because that’s how they make their living. Also, if you take your HA’s into your audiologist for servicing out of warranty aids they are going to put them in a box and mail them to a repair facility that you could do yourself and for this service they are going to charge you several hundred dollars. Another thing about Costco, because your a MEMBER and you have a problem with the HA after the 90 days or even several years they would do everything they can (even give you a refund) to keep you happy, I don’t know many or any audiologist offices that will do that.

The one thing that Costco hearing aid centers have going for them is they are part of a big corporation taking up a small part of a large warehouse, so they don’t have to worry about employees, healthcare,rent, heating, electricity, etc. these are all covered by Costco and so if they have a problem with a few customers it’s not going to cause a huge financial hardship like it would with a small audiologist office. So with the buying power that comes with 600 plus store and the fact that their overhead is much lower than and audiologist can offer, they can offer what most audiologist can’t regarding price, long trial periods, warranty and service.

Ok, as a HIS at Costco I am going to try to clear any confusion to the best of my knowledge. Costco started dispensing the KS.5 ( made by Resound) a few weeks ago. The KS.5 is a few steps above the Resound FORZA, it is based on the Verso 9 model with more updates and features. For $1899.99 you will get 2 premium hearing aids ( its not going to be the top of line , but its not at the bottom either, not even close), it has advanced features that the Forza didn’t have like Binaural Directionality, Music program, till-coil, and they communicate with each other , plus they have Blue tooth cabability so you can stream TV, Music and even phone calls theough your hearing aids. They can also be tailored to your specific needs and wants to the T. Now, with any hearing aid you chose you have to keep in mind that you still have hearing loss and no hearing aid (no matter how many bells and whistles in it) would restore your normal hearing, it will only work with what you have and help you communicate better. As a dispenser I can safely say that not all HAS have the same knowledge or enthusiasm to help people get the best out of any hearing aid, with that said , and from what I’ve read here I can give one advice, make sure that you talk to someone who knows what they are doing because if you do (with a HA like KS.5) you will be pleased and content.

Thanks for the info costcoinsider. Do your clients have a preference for music? Bernafon or KS5? Is one product more advanced than the other? I have an appointment at the end of the month and am interested in as much additional information as possible.

yes. the VERSO 9

Hello all and thanks for all the posts. I have learned a lot. In the last 3 weeks I have visited 3 local audiologists plus Costco today.

Let me tell you about my experience at Costco. The Costco I went to is in New Rochelle, NY which is about 25 minutes from my home, so an easy commute. I was greeted courteously and promptly for my appt at 4:30pm. I think I was the last appt of the day. I dealt exclusively with the Hearing Aid Manager. I thought she was very competent and knowledgeable about the products they sell so that instilled some confidence in me. She asked me what type of hearing aid I want and she explained the pros and cons of the device. I wanted one that is completely in the canal with as little showing as possible. She gave me a hearing test. This is the second test I have taken, seems more automated than others especially the word recognition. But it was more detailed and longer than the initial hearing test. She gave me a copy when I left Costco. I decided to go for it. I ordered the Bernafon Acriva9 IIC model. Costco gives a 90 day trial, full money back, so you can’t beat that and save a boat load of money over local audiologists even with National Discount deals. So I will have them in about 2 weeks, they will call me when they come in.

If any one has any questions please post.

Returned my Charismo 2c’s today, going to try these Signature 5s next.

I don’t know your numbers yet, so you may need a CIC and ear mold, but if you want as little showing as possible, you may want to consider one of the RIC (receiver in canal) models instead.

Look at the ear demos Costco has in the little plastic window. The one without a hearing aid in it is the RIC. Look closer: now you can see it, hidden behind the fold of the ear with a little tube going into the ear. RIC is really quite hidden, even more so than the CICs in my opinion.

–Beth

Hi Beth, I tried on the RIC’s and did not like the tube going from behind my ear into the canal, thats why I went with the others, just personal taste.

I am new in here. I made hearing test at Costco on Monday and expect to get KS526 within 2 weeks. One thing I am very interested in is how the HA dispenser person could make difference to fit. At the end of test, he run an Resound’s automatic program based on the test result. Then all parameters of HA have been set. He let me try the demo on KS526. It was not bad. He then did a modification and let me try again and I found the later one got worse. I think the SW program is more intellgent in turning to the loss in different frequencies. However, someone said the dispenser make big difference. Can someone give example that how HS dispenser make difference after the model chosen? My another question is can good HA improve hearing discrimination? I have been told not.

Questions COMPARING Kirkland 4.0 and 5.0
I have had my first hearing aids for about a month, primarily to fill in some missing High levels, and have been adjusting very well to them. I have the Kirkland 4.0 and see that I can now get the Kirkland 5.0 since I can return/exchange them within 90 days. Does anybody know how these compare? One thing I would like is the visual LCD on the new remote. Are the HA themselves any better with the new version? I just noticed that the 4.0 is made by Seimans/Rexton, while the 5.0 is made by ReSound. Can someone comment on how their HA products compare? Any other info to help? Much appreciated.

I was fitted with a pair of trial K5s this afternoon, and since I was the last appointment of the day I was invited to wear them home and return them in the morning (an advantage of being a long-time customer). So far I like them very much. I hear a lot more background noise, and my fitter kept offering to reduce that noise, but I actually like it. I’m hearing things I haven’t heard for years. And still, in the noisy environment of the Costco store, I was able to have multiple conversations and understand every word that was said (At least I think so. That woman did say I was a hunk… didn’t she?).

I’ll fool around with the telephone setting tonight, and play some more with the speech in noise and listening to TV. My fitter insists that the bluetooth accessories (from any company) don’t really work well and are a waste of money. So, before I go back to the store tomorrow…

Would anyone here who is using the Verso phone clip and/or TV accessory please let me know your experience?

Thanks,
Jeff