Costco Kirkland Signature 5.0

It’s possible to have multiple copies of the Binaural Directionality program, but each copy is still of the BD type. The other program types (Restaurant, Party, Music, etc.) don’t have BD capability.

Thank you for your input!

Thanks to everyone that replied. Have an appointment on Friday. I will ask to have the BD program installed. Does anyone that has BD installed know what the most popular setting are so I can get off to a good start? I thought that maybe a good feature would be Natural Directionality II or is something else more effective?

Thanks, DJK

Binaural Directionality is GN ReSound’s latest evolution of the Natural Directionality concept, but with the ability of the aids to communicate with each other works entirely differently. There’s no mor focus ear and monitor ear like there was with Natural Directionality.

Just have program 1 set for Binaural Directionality, with the gain adjusted following a REM test.

Thanks jay_man, are you saying that there are no parameters to set other than gain?

I’m saying that for my fitting the fitter put Binaural Directionality in as program 1 using the fitting software settings, then adjusted it with results of the REM test, and I’m a happy camper. There are certainly other tweaks, but I recommend starting there.

Has anyone had any issue with the feedback control, I find that even with the tv set if a crowd is to loud it will start to shut down at work I will find all sorts of odd “artifacts” I guess is the word I would use for instance a far of monitor would sound right next to me or an odd sound and it suppressing the phones ringing?

mrmark35,
What aids are you using?

Today I was fitted with Ks 5 and I am impressed switching from bernafon to Ks, but it seems that speech is louder on my bernafons, I ks I can not hear speech as well but understanding is a bit better than on Verite. My question is what should I ask the audio to change to receive the speech better.
My new hearing test did not change .
How do you open the battery compartment. She showed me how to do it, pressing on the table and without the nail but I managed once and that it.
Any help would be appreciated:))
She set the general, phone, party and music program

I’ve been in my KS 5s for about a month and my major issue from day one has been understanding television (sans headphones or a streamer). The small HDTV in my office/computer room was horrible with the aids, and the big TV (with sound system) was poor. A Sony (MDR-DS7500) wireless surround sound headphone system ended up being an excellent fix, but I don’t want to use headphones 100% of the time.

Major improvement just came about after I noticed the perceived volume levels were mis-matched between left and right ears - and communicated this to my HIS. They seems to be about 60+% Left volume Vs 40% Rt volume - and artificial sound (TV speakers) was distorted - like there was too much gain or over modulated.

The HIS replaced the right mic (possibly for a different reason) and tweaked the mids up on the right aid and down on the left. He also did some alignment on the left aid (it was leaned over a bit and not pointing directly forward).

I’m now able to understand television pretty well, even from across a longish room - at least those with better quality sound to begin with.

A really major plus with the 5.0s was at the movies (read gigantic sound system). Saw the new Captain America last weekend and was blown away by how good everything sounded through the 5.0s; and speech understanding was better than it’s been in 15-20 years. And this was before the latest HIS tweaks. (Best Marvel movie ever, btw.)

I am on day 5 , and I am impressed, I need a lot of adjusting but the sound are much better than the bernafons. I need the high and low tones down that’s for sure. The papers I sort are very noisy, and the printers or copiers are killing me. I hope someone will tell me how should I formulate my question, English being my second language is tricky in this particular situation.
Speech still not as clear as should be, and everything even the speech is too loud. I put the volume one notch down and is much better.
I need some help guys, I have the follow up on April 15 :slight_smile:

I am going to demo the KS5.0 from Costco tomorrow, based on the good info in this forum.

Re the initial setup, I am thinking of setting maximum directivity forward because my speech recognition scores are so poor.
As I understand it, this would be: Directionality = “Fixed” and Directional Mix = “High”. Are there any comments on this choice?

I also have a hearing hole at about 1.7KHz that I think may also be aggravating speech recognition. Can the Aventa3 software do anything to boost volume in this narrow region without boosting volume at 2KHz? If not, should I be looking at a different HA?

Directional microphones are only helpful in very specific situations. Basically the speaker has to be in front of you and the noise has to be behind you. Unless you’re in this condition regularly, changing the settings probably isn’t a good idea. It will turn off the adaptive features of the hearing aid. The software has a gain handle at 1.5K but adjusting it will also affect the 1K and 2K bands to a degree.

I was assuming that fixed directionality would be applied in restaurant and party modes, where the usual background din makes hearing impossible for me. If I am concentrating on what what another person is saying, I need both ears focused on him and want to suppress as much sound as possible from everywhere else. I do not want HAs that decide to interrupt this process.

AFAIK the maximum benefit of directional mics was about 5dB. Has this improved any?

I am also very concerned about becoming dependent on an Audi. I have always adjusted my own. Costco’s ability to provide timely support with increased sales volume could be a problem…

The KS5 demo went well. The KS5s are clearly able to provide plenty of power at frequencies where my old aids are struggling at the limits of their tuning range. I was also very impressed with their noise rejection program that was able to properly discriminate between speech sounds and the Costco shopping din. Noise seemed to be reduced 10 - 15 dB without disturbing voice conversation. +10!

I asked the Audie to set up a separate program to check out directionality (fixed). She was able to do this wirelessly while I was wearing the aids. Airlink is impressive. Costco is a poor place to judge the efficacy of directionality but then, so is a restaurant… - both have noise coming in from all directions. This test was only slightly more effective than my old aids. The jury is still out.

The Audie recommends the optional wireless microphone for use in restaurants. She had none available to demo. Is this microphone directional? If not, it would likely feed restaurant noise directly into the KS5s. Can someone please comment on how well this mic works?

I’m going to trial these KS5s. The Audie pre-scheduled four visits for adjustments.

I only tried the demo Resound Mini Mic at home for a few days, so this is just my $.02. They seem to primarily pick up and stream what is really close (to them) - like roughly point blank to 24 inches for TV speakers; while still allowing the HAs to work. My guess is the most useful application would be for someone with profound hearing loss - when clipped directly to a speakers clothing; or at least reasonably close (within a few feet) of a few people.

Party of 4 or 5 at the restaurant might be reasonable, but for a large group I’m not sure. I guess it depends on your needs. FWIW, I don’t find the KS5’s Noise/Restaurant program to be very useful (and probably their weakest feature). But I’m retired and my lunch meetings are way casual these days - so it’s not a huge issue (for me).

I found for TV speaker enhancement, they became annoying after about an hour or so (but were useful)- plus I found some better solutions.

Thanks for the info. How big is the mini? Smaller might be better if we’re thinking of carrying it around. However, I get the feeling that these microphones are going to end up unused in a drawer…

BTW, where are the third party streamer and microphone products for competition? The Unite products are priced way higher than they should be. E.g., Apple TV costs $100 and offers far higher streaming thruput than the Unite streamer for $300…

Smallish - smaller than a conventional (not-smart) cell phone. I don’t have the exact size, but maybe about 1.5" by 3"(ish). No problem for a woman’s purse, but possibly a bit much loose in a man’s dress slacks. No problem in cargos with an extra pocket…

At our local Costco (Bakersfield Ca.) it is a 6 week wait for a hearing test. We have two Costco’s, but only one handles HA’s…

Canada , London , ON wonderland street, Audiologist is a pro. I just had second adjustment and She did a splendid job. She is awesome, finally I do understand speech, tv or radio (on the adaptive) the rest of programs ; party, phone, tv are excellent to. Huge upgrade from Bernafons. The sound is natural, just beautiful.

— Updated —