Costco- Jabra, Philips, Rexton

Which of the three HAs from Costco are the most automated to control?
My Father is aged and has motor control issues from stroke.
We currently have old KS 7s. We went into Costco for upgrade appt. They immediately put us on the Jabra. I’m afraid that they will be too complicated for my father to manage (downloaded iPhone App for Demo)

If this were for myself, I would certainly do the Jabras. The App looks great and feature rich. but my father can barely see it (lots of small gray on gray). and really doesn’t quite get what he’s looking at in terms of the controls. Also, he’s used to physical rocker switch capabilities / layout of his KS 7 (and that are on the Philips)
He streams from TV, and of course from iPhone and iPad. He currently uses the Rexton App to control his KS7.

We just want higher quality audio than his current KS 7s. And would like good feedback suppression.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

Can your dad use the buttons on the aids? Is he able to remember that he can get back to the default program by turning the aids off and back on?

You don’t need the Jabra app. It allows some adjustments that the buttons don’t, but all of Costco’s aids are controlled either through an app or by buttons.

@philbob57 Does the Jabra comes with a TV streamer?

Yes he can use the buttons. And he can use the “simple” touch screen controls on his iPhone. But the App interface for the Jabra is very detailed with many adjustable options. It’s a nice App; just not for a very Senior person (perhaps)

The less he has to open an App to adjust his settings for TV; for noisy environment, for whatever…, the better.

Almost all the major Hearing aids have an optional TV streamer available for use with their HAs. But they do not “come with” the HAs

My mother has Oticon Moore 3 and does not use her phone at all with them. She is able to put them in and forget them (she doesn’t see a need to stream, and she didn’t even have them connected to her phone until I went to visit, but still doesn’t use her phone with them). I know this was not one of your options, but I hear that the Phillips are similar technology to the Oticon. I guess it depends on what he wants to do - but with the Moores it is not really ‘necessary’ to do anything.

1 Like

The reason I use the Jabra app on my iphone is that it can mute volume and return to the previous setting. (I watch a lot of TV and mute during commercials to talk with my W, if she’s watching wit me.) IOW, the Apple app (settings - Accessibility - Hearing Devices) does an adequate job.

WRT the TV streamer, my experience is the same as bill3b’s. I’ll say this, though: given the way my hearing has developed, I won’t buy HAs without a working streamer, so the 2 come together for me. I didn’t buy the Jabras for $1600; I paid $1850-$1900 for the aids and the streamer. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Jabra, and the other brands for that matter, are Made For iPhone (MFi). So some adjustments, such as program change, can be done from the hearing devices screens built into iOS.

I currently have the KS10s and rarely use the app. He may be able to set the HAs to automatic and be fine.

Bob

2 Likes

FWIW I am 47 and have the Jabras from Costco.

I hardly use the app. I live in All-Around program

2 Likes

OK. Well…
We were really down to the wire for time; so I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Jabras after all.
Hopefully the Costco audi. can get these things really dialed in, and it should be a big improvement over the old KS 7.
As others have mentioned here; my Father certainly can use the Apple MFi controls inside the iPhone Accessibility Settings. We have a shortcut that he currently uses to get there with his KS 7. But I also think these new HAs will require a lot less fiddling with to get comfortable sound for him without having to delve to deeply into the App.

As to TV streamers; It may interest some to know (who don’t already) that the Streamer that the Jabras (ReSound, etc) use, allow for the use of up to 2 individual streamers. So we will be able to put one on the living room TV and one on the bedroom TV. The streamer for Philips, Rexton, others only allow one streamer.
Thanks for everyones input. I really appreciate it.
(such a great community here)

1 Like

Perhaps Jabras are different than the ReSound models sold by audiologists. I vaguely remember ReSound Quattros could be paired with up to the three streaming devices and then could be any combination of TV Streamer, Multi Mic, Remote Mic, e.g., three TV Streamers. Did your Costco fitter tell you that the Jabras can only pair with two streaming devices?

No they didn’t, Jim.
You may very well be right. I know GN hearing aids (Jabra, ReSound, Beltone) can pair with three devices. But I thought that I read somewhere that it is only Two streamers + a third other device like a Multi Mic or some other device. But I absolutely could be wrong about that. Seems to make sense that all three could be streamers (?)

Just wanted to mention the possibility in the event your dad might want a third streamer - but perhaps upon occasion he might want something else like a Remote Mic or a Multi Mic. You can pair these devices with your dad’s HAs yourself - you don’t need the fitter to do it. I think each time when adding a new device, if you have three streaming devices pairing already, the first paired device in the series of three gets kicked out (could be wrong about this), kinda first in, first out.

1 Like

Costco will soon be getting the Rexton vesion of the Signia IX.

2 Likes

You can buy the resound streamer 2 not the newest + on ebay for less then $50. I recently put one for $47 used new ones go for around $250. I have the Jabra enhance pro 20 aids

2 Likes

Yes. I have been watching the streamers on eBay.
I sold one there years ago after my father went from ReSound Linx2 to the KS 7.
As far as I know, most of the units being sold there are the latest version of the streamer (Streamer 2 SAS-3) which is still very old. But they are what they are.
Plan to pick up a couple. (too bad I didn’t just hold onto the one that I had from years ago)

EDIT: Boy. Gotta keep correcting myself!
Capthr is right. There is a newer Streamer specifically under the ReSound brand. ReSound TV-Streamer+

FYI to anybody; Yes, you can have up to any three GN devices paired with your HAs. That means 3 individual TV streamers if you wish.

From Manual:
It is possible to pair up to three streaming devices - e.g. two TV Streamers and one ReSound UniteTM Mini Microphone (optional accessory) - with a given pair of hearing instruments. Therefore channel 1, 2, or 3 must be selected when starting the pairing process.

I love the Jabras and mostly use the iPhone built-in Accessibility page for changes.

2 Likes

Just for the record: Enhance Pro software (Jabra) for the Enhanced Pro 20 is NOT ideal for Android devices (e.g. Galaxy S23). It randomly disconnects from the hearing aids and phone calls frequently create a high volume noise (like static). COSTCO with the aid of their ‘consultant’ unsuccessfully tried to ‘fix it’ but was unsuccessful. There consultant stated that the software still being adapted to Android devices.
Other than the problems above, the Enhanced Pro 20 is an ideal update for me. I have the battery model (since I travel where charging is frequently not convenient); however, if the hearing aid user has hand use difficulty, the battery model is not the good choice - The batteries are tight to insert and remove.
Charlie3

1 Like