Costco in Southampton UK - Hearing Aid Centre

Has anyone used & what is the service like, please. I believe their hearing aids are much cheaper than Specsavers or Boots?

I presume in the UK? If so, and they follow the same standards as in North America, they do Real Ear Measurement testing, and adjust to target based on that. The Kirkland Signature 8.0 hearing aids are the premium level and are equivalent to the Rexton Emerald 80 8C, and the Signia 7Nx. At $1600 US they are a good value. Not sure about UK pricing…

I use the one in London. I have Phonal Brio. I am very impressed.

Many thanks Sierra. I’m in the cold & wet U.K. They’re for my 96 year old mother who currently has phonak over the ear aids on the NHS but still has a lot of trouble hearing.
My uncle who is currently visiting from Canada put me onto Costco who he swears by for his hearing aids.

You mean Phonak I think? Do they have a volume control so you can cut out background noise in restaurants/pubs etc;?

Making the hearing aid work in a noisy restaurant or pub is one of the most difficult hearing aid situations. With my Costco KS8 HA’s I use the Noise/Party special program. It uses automatic noise reduction and tries to distinguish between speech at your own table, vs general background noise. However, I find in most situations I also have to turn down the volume a touch as well. It also helps to have your back to the main source of noise such as other tables.

Yes I mean Phonak. It all depends on what model of Phonaks she has, depends whether they have a volume control.

I’ve got a volume control on mine but I never touch it as the aids adjust to what situation I’m in.

What Phonaks does she have? If they are the Nathos Auto, they are very very good aids and just need to have a few adjustments.

Like Zebras says, nathos are good aids. If she has the auto then they are Venture platform, if Nathos prior to the auto then they are the platform prior to the Brio.
I would revisit the clinic before spending money.
The auto would cost more than £2000 in Phonak equivalent.

Thanks Sierra, most informative information. She only has a volume control No Noise control so something to look out for definitely.

Hi Zebra Thanks for your feedback. I’m not sure which model but quite big & the moulds although just done tend to produce a certain amount of feedback even when in the ear correctly.

Thanks, Michael. They’re free NHS ones so No problem. We have a follow - up appointment next month but if we’re still not happy a trip to Costco audiologist at Southampton is on the cards now. After tests, I will be looking for new ones on trial so we can see if they suit before buying.

Feedback is normally controllable, depending on the model. I just wanted you to realise that the Costco aids like the NHS are just as dependent on the fitting. Zebras has had good experience in London. A key feature of good fitting is REM - look it up on here. This is a must for correct adjustment to the aids.

Thanks for your comments Michael. I’ve just Google REM & got the famous Rock Band first! But got the definition second time round. I’m confident that was done & readings taken for both ears. They made new moulds for both ears after putting foam like plasticine in them. Part of the problem is my mother getting the moulds to fit under her ear flaps. I’m still not convinced the moulds are 100% accurate though. I’ll bring all of this up at the next hospital appointment though.

Where, Costco address, in London that has hearing aid center?

Watford. I don’t go there anymore as I’ve got new hearing aids.