Costco Hearing Aids

im sorry but i highly doubt when you go in there they know you by name without looking at the computer. can tell you what model you’re wearing and take care of you while making you feel like youre the only one that they care about. I have never been to any store like costco and gotten good service and a personal feel.

I think comparing a hearing aid to a pacemaker is some stretch !

This past year I went to ENT’s and Costco. Costco was very professional and if I had not had the surgery I would have purchased HAs from them. I most likely will later.

why? honestly, if you dont have either and you need one ur at a huge inconvenience. and i know it was a stretch it was supposed to be a little over the top. conveys a stronger message and gets your point across.

I have no idea what you expect from a hearing aid center. All I can do is tell you about my experience. Both of my Costco audiologists know my name. I have proven that by showing up without an appointment. Does my physician know my name? Probably not, without looking at the chart. Is that important to me? Not really. I don’t want a busy person going on memory (I don’t).

You seem to think there should be some huge difference in the people at the Costco hearing aid center and other audiologist offices. My experience is there is not. The only difference is the Costco people are not on commission so they might be a little more relaxed and friendly and willing to keep on going with something.

If someone knowing your name is worth paying 40%+ more for virtually the same product then more power to you. In these economic times I am out to save as much money as I can, especially if I am paying 100% out of pocket.

The economy isnt going to make a difference. If you have an income, and value your product experience and service, generally youre willing to spend more. blaming the economy for you not wanting to pay for a quality product is unnecessary. The prices of hearing aids havent changed, since the economy changed. They are the same price as before and you being upset about buying them doesnt change anything. People are going to pay for them bc they need them, it just depends on if you wanna pay way too much like 4000 an aid. or if you wanna get a product that is 1000 dollars an aid and actually get everything that you pay for. if you pay 3-6 hundred dollars you cant be getting a good product bc if it was a good product with the market the way it is it would cost more. all hearing aids are priced around the same amount, really cheap ones are just that really cheap. really expensive ones generally come with a few more things as a selling point. if you buy a car and spend 2 hundred dollars it may look great but theres something you r losing. and in my experience it is service and how long the product lasts.

Why the edge maxC? I said absolutely NOTHING about being upset about buying HA’s. Please do not put words into my mouth. And since when are Rexton, Bernafon and Resound not quality products?
I can understand you obviously not liking Costco. It generally is not a pleasant nor personal shopping experience. That being said, I do not make an appointment to go one on one shopping at Costco like I do with a Costco Audiologist. If I did I am sure the overall shopping experience would be much different. I shop at Costco simply because I can buy staples for less. Also if you bother to do a search on this forum it seems the overwhelming majority of posters who get their HA’s from Costco are very happy.
As I said before, if I can get the exact same product for 40% or so less, then I am going to do it. I am happy that the state of the economy means nothing to you. My wife is a teacher in a community college district and has undergone 2 cuts in salary in the last couple of years, and the Cost of Living keeps going higher while income shrinks. Not to mention I have a son starting college in the fall. If you do not think the state of the economy affects people’s purchasing decisions I do not know which planet you are living on. I am happy for you that you have so much money that you do not have to be concerned about frugality and prudence. Not everyone is in that boat.

maxC out of curiosity, where did you get YOUR HA’s? Did you go to the full service audiologist and pay list price? I see that you (and Normandy) are a fan of hearSource. Doesn’t that kind of negate your argument about having the audiologist know your name and the product you wear as soon as you walk in the door?
I have looked into and spoken with both HearSource and America Hears. I like their business model, and have not discounted them at this point. I am going to Costco to see what they have and possibly trial a pair of HA’s. I still may order from HearSource, I don’t know at this point.
I have also used a full service audiologist for the last 6 years for my current HA’s, which I purchased through Hearing Planet, and I have been happy with the audi. However, for the amount of times I have had to go back to the full service audiologist, (which is not very many), I have decided it is not worth the extra money if I can get the same product somewhere else for substantially less money.

Also your car analogy is moot. When GM was in full swing you could buy an Oldsmobile which was essentially the exact same car as a Cadilliac, with just a few less bells, whistles, and some different trim, for cheaper. Essentially the same car, produced in the same plant, by the same workers, using the same basic parts, for less money. Some people like all the bells and whistles and want the Cadillac, and to others, they are unnecessary and they are happy with the Oldsmobile.

Dond13 I hope you have had good luck with your shopping for new HA. I am two weeks into a set of Costo Resound Future HA. I had tried a pair of Alera 7 from a local ENT but returned them. I liked the HA but not sure of the Audi. I next went to a very well respected HA provider and tried a set of Phonak s 1X,I liked them and the Audi was very good. I only tried them one week and I know that is not long enough but the were very good HA. I had made a appiontment with Costco and really was not expecting much from them but kept the appointment and was very surprised. The hearing test was very professional and no different than the last one and with very simular results. They suggested the Bernafon but did not like them as much as the Resound.
I know that I have good HA and that the Provider at Costco is more than able to get my aids working for me.
I have a 90 return with no restocking fee
I have a three year warranty. Plus one year for using AMX card
I have a two year damage or lost plus one year for using AMX card.
By using my AMX I will get a two % rebate at the end of the year.
I would not try to slam other HA providers or brands as each is a personal choice and I know a difficult one to make. If this does not work out I will go back to my local well respected HA provider and by HA from them. The price differince is about $ 3000.00. I sure hope it works out with Costco.
Good luck with your shopping.

I just purchased my second set of HA. My original set (Resound) was from a typical audiologist shop with good service, multiple offices and I was satisfied. Very recently I needed to upgrade and in the process of doing some online investigation about the newest series of Resound HA I came across mention of COSTCO as a seller. Based on what my old audiologist told me I was prepared to spend about $5500-$6000 for everything that I wanted. I went to COSTCO and bought the same Resound devices and saved between $2500 and $3000. Spent just under $3000.

Service was good, the audiologist was fine and the follow up has been fine.

I will take issue with one comment made in this thread. I don’t believe that all the technology out there is equal. There are some great products (Resound being one of them if not the best of them. Then there are some good products and then there are marginal products. Obviously your particular situation will have a large role in determining which device works best for you. I’ve listened with and tried a bunch of them and IMHO the Resound line is the best investment for me.

So Max you paid around $1k ea.for your HA’s from HearSource. What would have happened if you did not like the HearSource HA? It would have cost you 10% to return them - that’s an extra $200 if you wear 2 HA’s. Not sure I am willing to take that risk with HearSource for what is arguably a middle line HA, when Costco offers top brands at nearly the same prices.

Plus another $200 at Hear Source for directional microphones. The Costco Kirkland Signatures (actually Rexton Cobalt 16) include directional microphones and the aids talk to each other. Also includes a dryer/charger and rechargeable batteries (I do miss that) for $1999 a pair. If I could have had an open fit in those without the feeback I would still be in those. Great sound and great performance in speech-in-noise situations.

I have open fit HA’s from hearsource and they work great. little to no feed back and to be honest Maxc was right about the service. 2000 dollars for a set of great HA’s. Just because it doesnt have a big name doesnt mean it doesnt work right. The amish make furniture better than any of the name brand furniture makers but u dont see anyone talking bad about them. I have yet to find and honestly unsatisfied hearsource customer. If there is something wrong they fix it. I recommended them to most of my friends…the ones i like :slight_smile: … but most of the problem with going to costco for me is if i buy a HA from there am i going to get it fixed or worked on for such a low price…am i goin to be able to program it myself at home, and when i go there is anyone goin to tell me the truth or are they going to upsale me on something that i dont need. I made one trip there and found out that all my fears were valid. When i called the 800 number to complain it was an automated system that no one will ever get repromanded or talked to for the way i was treated. there was no personality. i told hearsource i had an issue with feedback and was havin trouble using their software, they walked me through it and also told me how to send in the one that one and within 5 days it was back to me and working like new. u wont get that service speed or care from a big store like costco. and you sayin that its great that max c had the money…he doesnt…bc i know i dont and thats y i go through hearsource, everything is affordable.

As far as price, Costco offers Rexton’s at the same price as HearSource -actually cheaper than HS if you want the directional mic. Also the Rexton’s are rechargeable, HS not.
Costco for me is literally 5 min from my house, and as a current HA wearer, i am informed as to what I want and need, so upselling is moot (at least in my situation).
I know folks with Costco HA’s and they are by and large, extremely satisfied with both product and service.
I also know a lot of folks on this forum are happy with HS, and I haven’t ruled them out, but frankly, I think their trial period (not even a full 30 days when you read the fine print) and “refund” policy (which would cost me min. $250 if I don’t like their product) stinks. The only thing HS has going for them IMO is self programming. That is what is turning me off from HS -that, and the fact that they look like 20 year old technology.

The Costco store is large but the hearing center is small, with one or two people working there and if you go on a regular basis for adjustments and trials you get to know the people pretty well. There couldn’t possibly be any upsale because they are on salary, not commission. If they recommend something it’s because in their professional opinion it is the best thing for you. I don’t understand the attitude of people who want to demonize Costco for selling premium hearing aids at a cheaper price. They are not doing anything underhanded. They have a few brands and great service but if you don’t want those, go somewhere else.

Get to know Costco in general. It is an ethical company. They research premium items they want to put their Kirkland Signature name on and I try to buy KS brand items whenever I can, including currently a Kirkland Signature battery in my car (top rated). They also have low employee turnover so many times the same person will check us out month after month.

They have a policy that if you are not satisfied with something, bring it back, whenever. The only exception I know of is electronics, which is 90 days. I have a friend who did something I don’t really agree with but, they had a TV they bought at Costco a few years ago, a Mitsubishi that turned out to have some problem and Mitsubishi just told them the warranty was out and nothing they could do. They called Costco and Costco said they had a 90 day return on electronics but, they bought the TV before they started the 90 day exception for electronics, so Costco said bring it in and we will give you a prorated refund. They ended up getting several hundred dollars back, enough to buy a new TV almost the same size.

In my case I bought a Rexton Insite for my right ear and had a Destiny in the left. They weren’t really working together so I decided to return it. The problem is, the audiologist had left and since it was a small shop, no one was at the hearing aid center. I checked several times and called several times and finally they hired a new audiologist. It was over a month past my 90 day trial and they took the Insite back with no question at all. I don’t think they would do that all the time but with having the shop closed for a few weeks, they made it right.

to each their own i guess. but i will be sticking with my preference. and if anyone wants a small town feel they’ll join me n my selection :slight_smile:

I had my first Costco appointment the day before yesterday (Monday) and the guy was very nice, and seemed to have good knowledge about the products. The experience was very low key with absolutely no upselling. He looked at my audiogram (I brought a recent one with me so I did not need to have one done at Costco), and discussed what he thought would be the best for my hearing loss. He answered all my questions, again with no pressure to get me to spend more money. I even inquired about a more expensive option and he told me it was not necessary. I ordered the ReSound Futures (Alera) and should have them in a week to ten days for trial, which is 90 days with a 100% money back guarantee. Can’t beat that.

The only problem (if you want to call it that) was that the earliest appointment I could get at my closest Costco (which is 5 min from my house) was for the end of August. I called the next closest one and had an appointment within the week. The fitter explained that the store closest to me was one of the larger stores and had been one of the very first to offer Hearing Aids, and they also covered a much larger geographical area than the one I eventually went to. I found it took me the same amount of time to get to the Costco where I actually ordered the HA’s than it used to to go to my audi where I got my first HA’s. So for me that is a wash, and so obviously the wait for an appointment depends upon which Costco you go to.
Overall Costco Hearing Center experience so far: excellent.
Next we will see how good the fitter is at programming.

I called the Costco near me to see if they had a Futures demo. The fitter (probably the same one I dealt with before) was brusque and rude. He asked me, in a less than congenial way, why I was interested in the ReSounds and told me in no uncertain terms that no one would have demos in the area. So…I went the the Costco 45 minutes from me where they did indeed have a Future demo. The fitter was available long enough to set them up for me. She turned down something so I didn’t hear all the background noise from the lights. I wore them for less than an hour, but have an appointment on the 22nd for a fitting. She did tell me that she had only sold a few of the Futures. (I’m surprised. It’s a huge Costco) I asked her if there was any other aid she’d recommend and she suggested the Bernafons if I didn’t like the ReSounds.

I liked the fitter a lot and actually felt totally comfortable in the Futures. The sound seemed so much less tinny than my Oticon Deltas. It didn’t feel as if I’d have much of a learning curve.

Something I have found with Costco in the Grand Rapids area is the hearing center in both stores are new. The east side opened 3 months ago and the west store opened last week. The Audi’s are new to Costco but seem to know a lot about fitting. I know they are expanding their
centers to alot of there older stores.
I have had a membership for several years and the business membership is a great way to go. I made up a business name as I don’t really have one [yes I lied and they new it]. I think the rebates are better with the business AMX account.
I have the Resound Futures and so far I like them alot. I have a lot of getting use to and some more adjustments but I am making progress with them.

Talked to the Costco fitter today about the Futures and how they compare with the Alera’s. He told me that the Futures had 17 programmable bands with 4 programable memories, which would seem to place them between the Alera 7’s and 9’s.