Costco Disclaimer/Waiver

Costco seems to get good reviews on this web site so I visited them today. I was not comfortable with several things, starting with the paperwork you need to fill out before the exam.

“The purchaser has been advised at the outset of their relationship with the Hearing Aid Dispenser that any examination or representation made by a licensed hearing aid dispenser in connection with the practice of fitting and selling of this hearing aid, or hearing aids, is not an examination, diagnosis, or perscription by a person licensed to practice medicine in this state, and therefore must not be regarded as medical opinion. Costco believes that it is in the best interest of the purchaser to see a physician prior to being fit with a hearing aid and has available a PHYSICIAN’S REFERRAL FORM and MEDICAL CLEARANCE FORM to be completed by the customer’s physician.”

and

“I have been advised that the Food and Drug Administration has determined that my best interest would be served if I had a medical evaluation by a licensed physician (preferabley by a physician who specializes in diseases of the ear) before purchasing a hearing aid.”

The audiologist seemed surprised that I wouldn’t sign this. Should I see my physician first? or and ENT?

It’s a standard disclosure required by federal law, enacted in 1978, I think. The only time I haven’t signed one is when I buy from the audiologist who’s associated and co-located with my ENT.

Unless you’re having sinus issues that may be affecting your hearing, or have drainage tubes, signs of infection, etc., I’d just sign it and move on.

Fading Fast: I think you are un-necessarily concerned. This is the standard waiver required by law. Costco is a highly reputable source of hearing aids, though their licensed Dispensers vary in competency from just barely acceptable to excellent based on my personal experience.

That being said, everyone who experiences hearing problems should first consult a medical doctor ENT to determine the underlying cause. Only then should you seek the services of a non-medical person such as an Audiologist or licensed Dispenser.

Just common sense. Ed

Right on as usual Ed! An ENT may offer you options you were not aware of, and the hearing loss could be an indication that something else is happening (probably bad!).

So as a followup to these comments, I purchased a hearing aid from Costco about 2 years ago and they are working fine. I’m happy with the results and am not experiencing any problems except for occasionall discomfort with having the tubes in my ears. The question is, should I be going back to the ENT MD that originally evaluated my hearing and if so how often should I do that given that I am not noticeably having any problems with my hearing. I did go back to Costco after 1 year to have an annual checkup of the hearing aids and my hearing and am overdue for my second annual checkup.

I would say go to an MD whenever your about to get new aids.

In the UK we are obliged to refer any ‘suspect’ client to a doctor.

I have a long check-list of warning signs etc. I refer maybe 20% of new clients to a doctor, so that reduces their workload.

This is important as medical care is totally free in the UK so the doctors are busy enough!

Thanks, everyone.