Cordless Home phone

Hi there all. I am need help just got the phonak naida III aids.The problem lam having is with phones(home).Try 4 different kinds all l am getting is static sound the phones are 5.8 and 6.0 digital. I try moving the base around the house still same results. Is it the setting in the aids just to fix. What phone do you guys use and what brand. :confused:

So you tried four different kinds of phones? Or four different settings on your phone? What brand and model is your phone? Do you have access to Walmart in your area? I donā€™t think the Tcoil has any real settings other than activating it. How is your aids working so far, other than the Tcoil? I see you said you have the Naida III aids. Did you just get these aids from your audiologist? The reason I asked was the version three sounds like an older model, so maybe it needs a firmware update. I have Naida V aids.

I also have difficulty useing the cordless phones at home. I am more than willing to buy a new one, but am unsure of what to look for. Are certain brands better is there something specific I should look for in the specifications of a paticular phone (so many Hz or whatever). ANy advice would be appriciated.

the different Hz is just to help eliminate the static interference, as the older Hz phones (900 hz) have too many people using it as well as other devices using the same bandā€¦, so the higher Hz bands have a lesser chance of interference from other devices. I think life2hear pointed out a cordless phone with about 50 dB volume boost, so that can help for us power users out there :slight_smile:

hereā€™s a link for one company:

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=47_277&hcCsid=ca41099325bf1141c5ce808debf0a55e

I seem to be ok hearing out of GE phones, but I can believe all these phones are Hearing aid compatibleā€¦

Another well known U.S. company:

http://www.weitbrecht.com/category/cordless-amplified-telephones/

It would be good to identify where the static is coming from.

If there is static when the phone is used by someone else, then weā€™d need to eliminate sources of interference from the phone. Since you used at least one Dect 6.0 phone, though, Iā€™d assume the phone is OK. These are hard to interfere with.

I wear Phonak microSavia Arts, and have a Uniden DECT3080 phone. This phone is Dect 6.0, but I found it did not activate my Tcoil. I either had to use my remote control to force Tcoil, or put an accessory magnet on the phone so that when I put the phone to my ear the aids switched to Tcoil. (As an aside, now that feedback is correctly controlled, I donā€™t need Tcoil for these phones.)

But regardless of Tcoil, I didnā€™t get static or buzzing, I got whistling feedback.

So I thinking there is one thing that always gives me static or buzzing, and thatā€™s when I get close to a magnetic field. Doorbell speaker systems, some UPS power supplies for computers, some devices that eg. dim lights . . . these are examples of stuff that sets up a magnetic field, kicks in my Tcoil, and ā€œgives me a buzzā€ when I get close to them.

Could any of those be the culprit?

Jenny, what kind of difficulty?

If the problem is range (how far you can get from your base station), Iā€™d be loathe to make a suggestion because the phones perform differently in different environments, so recommendations often donā€™t pan out.

If the problem is interference, then the Dect 6.0 phones are probably going to produce the cleanest sound under most forms of interference (kitchen appliances, wireless networks, other remote/transmitting devices).

If the problem is volume, I actually changed from standard telephone lines to Vonage when I discovered it was really difficult to get a LOUD cordless phone. Vonage routes your calls over the internet, and you are able to increase the volume BEFORE it hits your telephone. Finally I had telephone calls loud and clear enough to hear them well on a cordless phone, in my case the Uniden 3080.

Forgot to askā€¦Do you have any major electricity transmission lines running through your front yard or back yard? These things transmit a lot of power in that they buzz through your aids when set at tcoil.

Yesterday, I had my hearing aid set to tcoil and all of a sudden I heard a loud buzzing noiseā€¦I was almost directly over a power line. Pretty noisyā€¦

The best fix to this is FMā€¦

I would say volume is the main problem. Even when I use the telephone program, I still have trouble making out what people are saying on teh phone. Iā€™d like to buy a home phone that is more hearing aid compatible, I just donā€™t know what Iā€™ looking for other than somethiong that doesnā€™t cost too much. THe phones Iā€™ve seen online all cost at least $100 (US) I really donā€™t want to spend that much.

I was never able to find a CORDLESS phone with enough volume to satisfy me. Even if I used a ā€œspeakerphoneā€ setting on the handset . . . and that setting introduced other problems.

However, there are CORDED phones that claim louder volumes. And there are amplifiers that can easily be attached to corded phones. If you are willing to give up on ā€œcordlessā€, you might find some stuff at a price you are willing to spend.

Why not get the volume on your T-coil turned up?

When battery run out iCom then useless. because DAI and 3.5mm/3pin doesnā€™t request battery to charges.

Do you know there is an update for the iCom so that you can charge while using?

As a tech guy that works on Boeing 717 and 737 flight systems, I can answer your question.

T-coil works on electromagnetic recievers. Corded phones by ADA law must meet electromagnetic standards not to interfear with the t-coil on hearing aids. Cordless phones did not fall under these laws. That is why most cordless phones cause interference with a t-coil. Itā€™s electromagnetic interference from the transmitter that is causing the static in the t-coil.

Cell phones do the same thing. In 2006, congress passed a law that a certain amount of phones sold had to be M3T3 or M4T4. That means they were designed so that electromagnetic interference would not be picked up by your T-Coil. I have a M4T4 cell phone that comes in crystal clear with my t-coil. No static. But it is CDMA (Verizon). GSM (AT&T, ALLtell, Cingular, Sprint) phones are difficult to design not to interfere with hearing aids. So they have a very limited line of T-Coil compatible phones. Most CDMA phones are compatible.

Unfourtunetly cordless phones have no regulation. So manufactures design cordless phones with out this in mind. There is legislation to change this and a few companies (Uniden mainly) have volunteered to manufacture cordless phones that donā€™t produce electromagnetic interference with T-Coils.

Hope this helps.