Cookie bite loss - resound nexia

New diagnosis but no surprise - trialing resound nexia but finding several issues:

• tinny sound and almost “burned out” mic staticky sound even when volume is not high.
  • too much amp of paper crinkling and impact noises
  • music/streaming sounds pretty bad even with music setting (sounds much better in regular headphones not even adjusted to my audiogram)
  • ppl on phone have hard time hearing me if I take calls with aids.

Are these problems adjustable or should I try different aids? 3 weeks into trial with 8+ hrs daily use (not easy but I’m determined), meet aud again next week. Using open domes - tulip domes hurt.

Is it ok to try Costco instead of private aud with my audiogram? These resounds are $$$$ and it sounds like Costco has great options for much less - I just worry I might be a tricky adjustment (?)

Thanks everyone! This forum is great! I have learned a lot reading prior posts.

Absolutely they are, you need to take notes and talk to your fitter at your next meeting explaining just what you have written here.

You definitely have the right attitude, keep at it, over time you’ll notice a difference, very few people get it right first time!

Again absolutely, Costco have the exact same premium models (Jabra) you’ll save thousands!!

No I don’t think so, a little bit of reverse slope on the higher frequencies, but definitely nothing out of the ordinary, any audiologist and most HAs will fit your loss.

1 Like

Thank you! Very helpful!

You can decrease gain at high frequency. 4-8k. That you can reduce tiny sounds.

So, are you getting much benefit from the hearing aids? If tulip dome hurt, push for custom tips.

Reverse slope can be tricky, yes. But check with your local costco–maybe their clinician is good.

Thank you! My Audi made some adjustments to the resound nexus that helped a bit. Definitely getting benefit from the aids.
Now trialing the new Oticons - I like them better so far. The sound is more natural to me, less tinny. But they do have a running noise like soft static that I notice if I’m in a quiet room.

This is so interesting to me because I’ve also got a cookie bite hearing loss. I am in the first week of trying Nexia’s and will try Oticon Intents next. I am a 30 year experienced hearing aid user.

I’m not loving the Nexias. Same thoughts as @Brynn_C in the first post. I started with closed domes and moved to tulips because they were more comfortable. I can program my own aids so I may try to decrease 4-8k to reduce tinny sounds.

The iPhone app also frequently freezes throughout the day. I have to force close it.

@Brynn_C - Are you trailing the Oticon Intents?

Yes! I like the resound app better. And the resound “outdoor” setting is great for my outdoor stuff. But the Intents just have a richer more natural sound to me. If I turn the high frequ down a notch or two, the running noise of the aids doesn’t bother me.
That’s so great you can adjust your own! Let me know what you decide.