Cookie bite hearing loss - which aid gives best speech clarity

Hi there
I’m new to this site. I realize there are posts on cookie bite hearing loss however I am looking for the most up to date experience from others.
I was diagnosed with a mild to moderate cookie bite hearing loss at the age of 31. Currently I’m now at a moderate to moderately severe loss. I had the widex passion for 5 years and the widex moment for 6. In the last couple of years I have been struggling so much with speech.
I trialed the widex sheer and it was a great experience but the rechargeable battery didn’t last long enough for me. I also trialed the widex 440’s but they were very similar to the “moment” so I didn’t see the reason to spend the money. Now I’m trialing the signia pure ax and I have found speech to be much clearer for me. The widex has a more natural sound to it but the signia definitely gives speech clarity.
Is there anyone with a cookie bite loss that can share their experience with an aid ? I know everyone is different but I would like some suggestions. With the cost of hearing aids these days it’s definitely worth looking into the best ones for me.
Thanks everyone.

If Costco is available that might be another option worth trying.

@cvkemp is a frequent poster of cookie bite issues.
He has the Oticon More1 HAs, and loves the performance he’s getting.
He’d be the 1st to inform you that your fitter is the key to a successful outcome, no matter the make or model.
You can search for his threads for more info.
Just use the search tool at the top right of this page.

3 Likes

I have a cookie bite loss and currently use a pair of Costco own brand hearing aids (KS10) made for them by Phonak. For me, Phonak aids have been very good especially if you can get their external mic device called Roger. The Phonak Lumity aids get good reviews but all of the main makers have good aids. It’s just a case of finding what’s ‘right’ for you.

While my hearing aids were in for service this year, my local Costco loaned me a pair of Jabra Enhance Pro 10s, which were also very very good. A different quality of sound to what I was used to, but really very good.

Fitting is crucial though. I’ve had some average fits done and some very very high quality ones and it makes such a difference.

2 Likes

I have been wear aids for almost 20 years, over the years and due to age I am losing my high frequencies.
I can tell you that the very most important part of fitting aids for someone with a cookie bite loss is the right audiologist. The main reason I wear Oticon aids is that I was stirred to them by my VA audiologist back in 2010 and I have fallen in love with the Oticon sound. But I have issues with understanding speech, and it has gotten a little better since I have been losing my high frequencies and I have gotten the VA Audiologist that I have now. But it has taken many adjustments and appointments over the years.
Patients and great communication with my audiologist.

2 Likes

Cookie-biter here. I tried Widex and Oticon, but found that the Phonak Lumity 90 improved my speech recognition the most so that’s what I bought. After just a few weeks I was able to turn off the captions on the TV and actually understand more of what people say. My audiologist recommended going with the highest technology level (90) for improved speech recognition, so I took his advice. I hope you’ll find HAs that help! Cookie-bite loss is tricky!

1 Like