Control of Background noise

Is there anything that can be done at parities, restaurants,etc about the background noise ? It gives me a headache and I cant wait to leave

2 Likes

Even the best hearing aids doesn’t help me in noisy environments were way too many people are all talking at once and seeing who can scream over top of everyone else. And for myself even muting my aids doesn’t help. I have hard enough time understanding a single person talking much less a whole herd all talking at once.

4 Likes

What brand and model of hearing aids? Newer ones do a good job with directional hearing, where they ignore things outside the “cone”. Mine are Phonak and they do pretty well. Signia has a really narrow cone and they do a good job filtering out machine hum and similar noise.

One problem with parties is that hearing aids recognize all of it as speech. So the directionality, only looking for speech straight ahead, helps.

KS 10’s that are about 3 years old

Is it still too loud if you turn your hearing aids off? If so the only thing that might help is a more occlusive fitting (like custom molds) If you can get the overall sound level low enough, then adding in a remote microphone (PartnerMic or Roger) can let you converse one on one with somebody. However, if you can’t get the overall sound level down low enough, nothing is going to help other than stepping outside to a quieter place.

1 Like

Those have all the good adjustments.

One consideration is if your domes or ear molds are vented. In my case I am using open (vented) domes, which are great in most situations, but even if I mute my hearing aids, a lot of noise will bleed thru. I am considering setting up one of my backup pair of aids with closed domes just for loud restaurants, which will allow the Phonak noise canceling function to do it’s magic.

1 Like

I have the new EnhancePro 20. The “hear in noise” is great with the closed domes. I’m only been using them for 1 week. Still trying to get use to the dome. I had the open ones before on my last pair. Also I had the Costco fitter change the program to be able to both auto and manually adjust how wide of focus I wanted.