Consumer Reports latest ratings (based on survey)

I’m not posting a link because one needs to be a subscriber to see the info, but CR has new hearing aid ratings. VA and Costco got highest ratings by far of places to buy hearing aids and Phillips, Jabra and Rexton (brands Costco sells) got the highest ratings. My big takeaway from the survey is that what one pays and perceived value are deeply connected to one’s overall evaluation of the hearing aid. Jabra (not including OTC) scores notably better than Resound and they’re essentially the same hearing aid.

8 Likes

Libraries often have an online subscription to CR. So one might try their local library.

I agree that price pays a big part on value. So it’s no wonder that they are both highly regarded.

3 Likes

I was going to mention the public library also. Plus, one can sometimes view the magazine at home via the library’s website.
I’m now doing that–it works.
Thank goodness for CR and the public library!

1 Like

I just signed on to my library’s website and looked at the latest report.

Boy! I’m glad I have Jabras from Costco and ReSounds or Beltones! The Jabras are rated so much higher!

With such big differences in ratings, I can’t understand why so many people say that ReSound makes Jabras and Beltones or that certain Jabra or Beltone models equate to certain ReSound models.

Either that or CR needs to refine its survey method.

Hmmm. GN ReSound’s accessories seem to work for all 3 brands. My user manual looks like a copy of ReSound’s. The fitting software looks the same. The ReSound app works exactly as expected with my Jabra HAs.
So my bet is that CR needs to update its damned survey methods. They need to investigate why rebadged items get such widely different ratings. The diffs may lie with the retailers - a lousy retail experience could color a user’s experience with the product. It may be connected to the price. But if they’re scientists, they should know their survey method doesn’t work for HAs.

In almost every case, when I know something about a product type, CR ratings are not helpful, but I DO rely on their ratings for products I know very little about.

Maybe CR should rebrand itself as ‘A Guide for the Ignorant’. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Which month is the magazine?
Thx

It is in January 2024. Error. Doesn’t seem to be published yet. Available online to subscribers.

Not sure of it is this one, as there is no article about HA?

What @MDB said…

Sorry, my mistake. I’m not sure it’s published yet. It’s available online to subscribers.

1 Like