Connecting Resound Unite Streamer TV2

Any help connecting this to my sound bar would be appreciated. My sound bar is connected to my tv via an HDMI cable using the HDMI IN connection via the HDMI (TV ARC) connection on the sound bar. Without a sound bar you would obviously just connect to the tv with audio or optical cable. But, since my tv sound is coming from my sound bar I’m a little confused how to hook it up where it will work with my Resound Lynx HA. Thanks

I have a soundbar on my TV, and have the following setup. I use HDMI from a set top box (TiVo in my case) to the TV, optical out to the soundbar, and analog out to the streamer.

I disabled the onboard TV speakers, and use either the soundbar or the streamer. When I use one, I just don’t power on the other.

Thought about that but then my wife wouldn’t be able to watch because the sound would only be streaming and nothing would be coming from the sound bar. I need to be able to power on both at the same time in order to make it worthwhile for me since we watch tv together in the evening.

I’m sure there’s an easy explanation, I just can’t figure out what it is. I’m sure there are other families that watch tv together that have figured out how to get it to work for both.

Thanks for your reply.

In my setup I can have both the streamer and the soundbar on, but don’t need to since it’s only me. When I have had both on, the overall sound was a bit much. I guess it would be okay if I used the app to turn the mics off.

Why not connect to the television (not the soundbar) via optical?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter how you connect TO the TV in my scenario. What matters is having two audio outs from the TV of the correct variety to connect to both the sound bar and the streamer.

1 Like

In my case, I use an optical splitter. I am alone so the bar gets turned off. With it on, it will give processed sound from the bar and BT. If you use it in an environment where it needs to be on, you could have a program with your HA mic disabled that’d probably provide better results.

I’ve never seen a sound bar with audio out. They are normally considered the destination for sound, not a source. Some do have an HDMI connection for going to the TV, to pass the video along.

My receiver (Dish Network Hopper3) has toslink out that is active even when using HDMI out and that is where I connect my tv transmitter. I would suggest connecting upstream from the sound bar, even if you have to use a splitter and a converter.

Also, the TV should probably be the last thing connected. I come out of my dish receiver to the surround sound receiver. Also, the DVD player connects to the surround system. The only thing going to the TV is one HDMI for video, from the surround sound.

I’ve never seen a sound bar with audio out either. What is this discussion caused you to make that comment?

I’ve done scenarios where the TV was the last thing connected, but have discovered that for my use case having the TV as the first thing connected and using its various sound out connections makes for a much cleaner setup. It’s also much easier to use. I turn on the TV, and if I want to stream just put my aids in streaming mode. If I want to use the soundbar I just turn it on. If I want to do both, I do both things.

Since sound bars are so popular now I was hoping I could find someone here that had my same circumstances. Doesn’t appear to be the case but all input is greatly appreciated.

Below are copies of the two emails I received back from Resound today.

“Hi Larry,

The other option you would have is to get a powered audio splitter that would be able to go into the TV and split the audio signal to the soundbar and the TV Streamer. Something like this: Amazon.com: Tendak HDMI to HDMI and Optical TOSLINK SPDIF + Analog RCA L / R Stereo Audio Extractor Converter HDMI Audio Splitter Adapter(HDMI Input, HDMI + Digital / Analog Audio Output): Home Audio & Theater

Take care,”

“Hi Larry,

Thank you for contacting ReSound. Sound bars do not normally have audio out ports so the TV Streamer will most likely not be able to connect to that directly. In your situation we normally recommend if possible plugging the TV Streamer into your cable box or satellite box.

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Take care,”

Since I am a cordcutter I don’t have a cable box or satellite box.

Don- Glad you are back!

optical splitter should do the trick

Does your TV have a headphone output connection? If so you can connect the streamer to this, no need to connect to the soundbar. Sometimes connecting headphones switches off the speakers but for my TV (Panasonic) there is a setting in “Settings” that allows the speakers to remain on.

I am using the ReSound Streamer and a Sony SoundBar. I feed the Streamer via the 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of the TV - and feed the SoundBar with optical cable. I control the volume in my HA with Streamer and ReSound iPhone app. Visitors can control the SoundBar with SB remote. Typically the level of SoundBar for visitors is below my hearing level. //// With my set up I would prefer to route optical to the Streamer but it is not conveniently feasible at present.

PS - The headphone jack on the TV mutes the TV speakers but does not stop the audio from going to the SoundBar through the optical cable.

You can buy an optical splitter. I have that with my sound bar and BT device.

Thanks Ken, I was aware of that by when I set it up I was diverted to another project and didn’t get back to it. I prefer to stay digital to digital whenever it is feasible.

What sounded like the easiest solution indeed was. Left everything like it was and just hooked an optical up to the TV2 directly to the TV and it now works perfectly. Wife can control her volume and i can control mine via the resound app.

Thanks everyone for providing some great options. I appreciate all the help.