Compatible Android mobile telephones (cell phones to the Americans)

Above.

I’m in the process of tests to get a CI in the UK, however, due to losing my current phone this week (which I’m still paying off, and foolishly didn’t take out insurance on) I’ve got to go to O2 on Sunday and pay off my existing device plan/sort out a new contract on a new phone, however, rumour has it not everyone can use a mobile phone with a CI so is it worth paying £33 a month on a contract for something I might not be able to use?

Recommendations welcome.

We need to know what brand and model CI processor you plan to wear.
Then we can help you with phone compatibility.
Yes, losing your phone sucks.

1 Like

There are many affordable phones that you can buy outright upfront without needing to pay over time. O2 has sim only plans. Or just get the phone and sim and keep using your current plan.

You want to match the version of Bluetooth your CI has with the version supported by the phone for the best chance of success.

I think Bluetooth 5.3 is the current version, and in that version there is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).

Then there is the differences between iPhones and Android, MFI vs. ASHA respectively.

Here is an article that may prove interesting or boring.

https://source.android.com/docs/core/connect/bluetooth/asha

Unfortunately I don’t know yet.

Still in the process of testing and stuff.

Could be a while that.

Actually, it might be a Nucleus 7.

1 Like

The N7 is compatible with most iphones and android phones that are Android 10 and higher.

I use a Google Pixel 3 with N7 and K2 processors.

For sure.
When I moved to CI I had to move away from a Samsung S9 because it was not Android 10.
So I bought a used Google Pixel 3 for a great price that was compatible. That was a couple years ago. The Pixel 3 battery is starting to play out so in the market again for a phone.

Ideally wait until you know what processor you’re going to get. Once you know that, you can ask for a list of compatible phones. If you’re not going to know that for awhile, recent iPhones are the closest thing to a “sure thing.” If you want Android, I’d stick with Samsung or Google.

3 Likes

There’s mfi for Apple and ASHA for Android. But in all cases there’s still standard bluetooth. You don’t necessarily need mfi or ASHA.

Without knowing what exact devise you’re possibly getting or how long it will be before surgery if you qualify. This puts you in a tough spot.
I know Cochlear N7, N8 pair with most iOS, Google Pixel and Android.
Good luck with all the upcoming testing. Keep us all up to date on how the testing goes.

1 Like