Comparison of Phonak TV Connector: OLD vs NEW model

In my case I made the TV unit turn on and off with the TV, no dinging when it is turned off. Simple solution.

Your ā€˜do not disturbā€™ tip just made my day. Also have many notifications coming in and the interrupts the notification sounds cause with my hearing the streaming program are disruptive Many thanksā€¦

1 Like

How new is the model youā€™ve tested for us? I got my TV Connector in August. 7% better hearing and more volume control range sounds worth it. The information/instructions I got with mine were minimal, disappointing. My housemate just got the new Phonaks and was told he could use my TV Connector. No way to figure out how that gets set up or how it will work with both of us using the same device. Your post was most helpfulā€¦perfect timing for me to find today. Thank you.

All your housemate needs to do is pair his Phonaks to your TV Connector. (You can pair as many as 8 HAā€™s to a TV Connector.) You set a central volume (about midway) on the TV Connector and then control individual volume with your own HAā€™s. Itā€™s really simple and easy.

I have one of the new connectors with volume. Iā€™ve found that I like to have the volume set high and then lower the volume to taste on my hearing aid or using the app. If I do the opposite, I can hear static mixed in with the audio.

Did you connect with the audio jack or did you connect with the fiber optic connection? I have a recent OLED TV with a fiber optic audio connector. My audio is crystal clear.

One of the issues I intend to address with my fitter on Friday is have her set my hearing aids to get rid of the constant ā€œdingingā€ on the TV Connector connected to my laptop. I seem to recall that there are 3 settings, the current one that drives me nuts, plus one that turns off all dings, and an intermediate one whose behavior I am unclear on.
Any clarification and suggestion as to which setting I should request would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Fiber. I find there is a bit of noise if I amplify a low volume signal. If I turn up the volume on the connector and lower the volume on my HAs, then there is no detectable noise.

One other nitpick about the connector. Since I enabled fiber optic output, my TV no longer accepts commands from HDMI devices. So, my Chromecast canā€™t turn my TV on anymore. Minor deal, but itā€™s a shortcoming that I think is common to many televisions.

OK. The noise could be endemic to your particular TV audio circuit. Iā€™m not experiencing that. If the noise is coming from your TV Connector, I would consider exchanging it. You might try the TV Connector on another TV or a computer to test.

Iā€™m feeding both my TV Connector and my Sound Bar from the same fiber optic port using a Y connection. I also have a Chromecast Ultra connected to an HDMI port. My Chromecast works as it should.

Hi Nate - This is the screen you need to use get rid of the dinging. I have it set at Manual, which means that it never makes a sound. You have to connect to the program manually with the app, or button presses on the aids - it just becomes an additional program. Really annoying that it becomes the ā€œlastā€ program, and not the ā€œfirstā€ if you are using the button presses, and have to cycle through the manual programs first - 4 long presses fells like forever! On the app its instantaneous of course. I prefer manual as most of the time iā€™m in range, I donā€™t want to connect, and also now I never have to touch the TV connector at all (itā€™s hidden behind the TV & powered by USB from the TV). Good luck ! Bob

Thanks, Bob!
I appreciate it.

Iā€™ve done these settings in Target. Are you still getting the dinging whenever a sound source stops? I am. So Iā€™m still getting half of the dinging that drove me up a wall. For example, if Iā€™m going through my YouTube following videos, I get a ding every time one stops and another starts. If you were able to stop ALL dinging, how did you do it?

I havenā€™t used my TV connector with a laptop, though will give that a go at the weekend to see if I get any dings. The dings I have managed to eliminate are the ones where the aids first detect the signal from the Connector and prompt you to join (manual - with beep). I assume you are only getting dings when actually connected to the Connector (ie not when you are in range, but are not connected)? If so, it must be the sending & stopping of the youtube/laptop audio signal that is creating a dingā€¦interesting, and I can understand, very annoying! Iā€™ll see if I get the same issue.

Iā€™ve only connected to my TV so far. The only time I get chimes are when the connector turns on, when I get out of transmission range & when I get back within range.

Gary,

Iā€™m a fairly tech savvy person and am wondering how I can change some settings in my Audeo M90s. Frankly, my sense is that there are a number of customizations that Iā€™d like to make but do not want to bother my audiologist. For example, Iā€™d rather not take her time 1) learning what customizations are available, and 2) experimenting with the options to determine my preferences. Iā€™m very happy with my audiologist but sheā€™s 1.5 hours away at the closest VA hospital (and Iā€™d rather not bother any hospital during this pandemic)

While I absolutely love these M90s and their Bluetooth capability (without having to wear something around my neck like a bolo tie). Iā€™m disappointed with Phonakā€™s decision to keep so many of the more ā€œuser experienceā€ options accessible only with the audiologistā€™s special software and hardware.

I donā€™t care to tinker with what would be my ā€œprescriptionā€ for how my aids amplify sound. However, I would like control over how it behaves with the TV Connector and possibly other options that I just donā€™t know exist. Can you or someone else please give me a primer on how to get at those options?

Warm regards,
Kevin

@carlisle.kevin You would need the Phonak Target software and a Noahlink Wireless. The Noahlink Wireless costs around $180 roughly.

EDIT - Hearing Aid Self-Fitting and Adjusting [DIY] - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community

As Zebras said, you need Phonak Target software and a Noahlink Wireless. After I acquired these, I spent time looking through the Target software at each and every option. This is the way I learned how to use it.

2 Likes

Me too. That is i have spent a lot of time looking at all the options and only made tiny adjustments in minor areas. I do not have confidence yet to make any big profile changes. Fortunately I have an understanding Audi who has assured me that he can fix whatever i screw up. If you are at all tech savey it is pretty easy to at least get started. And these days i sadly have lots of free time

Thank you Gary. Iā€™ll try find one of those Noahlinks and download the software.

Kevin

Thank you Zebras. Iā€™ll try to track those things down.

Kevin