Compare ReSound ENZO Q to Phonak Naída Marvel

I have the first model Enzo, an iPhone XR, and the Resound Airlink 1 programming interface, and TV streamer. The Enzos are OK but because I have a profound loss I am pushing them hard at the top end. I have learned their front end overloads (experience - I was at a music venue and the aids overloaded, even when I turned the gain down to 1). But the music was not loud enough to drown out conversation - but people had to lean in to talk to each other. The Enzos only have 8 EQ points and only two at the low end - 250 and 500, with quite a bit of overlap. Further, their compression release is slow. I am a musician, so I need aids that will work well in live music situations and also work well in conversation in venues both on and off the stage. And no, switching channels does not work.

My audi likes the Phonak, and it looks good on paper - definitely more EQ point in the mid range and top end versions. I see that the Naida is full bluetooth, so I assume it will work well with the iPhone. I like the positions of the EQ points, too, especially with more points in the sub 500 range. Definitely NOT the rechargeable version - the battery life is too short.

In general I do not use sound processing, except for the minimal anti feedback. Unfortunately, aids spec sheet tout the sound processing, and don’t talk much about real world fidelity- as in, yes I see the chip will do all sorts of good things but what is the fidelity and response from the actual receiver the aid uses?

I don’t know anything about the Enzo Q to compare it to the Naida, especially the EQ points, compression parameters, etc. Of course I can’t get that information out of Resound. I assume it uses the same Aventa 3 software as my current Enzos, just updated for a new model - same EQ points, etc. I have that software, BTW.

I read that the Airlink 2 will work with phonak aids, but would the Airlink 1 also work? Likewise the Resound TV streamer?

I know this is a lot of questions so any information would be great.

Thanks

Agreed.
This is what one of our pros described about power aids.
We need to hear more from members trialing the Oticon, Resound and Phonak power aids aids before being critical. I suspect the Phonak SP aids will hold their own with the others, time will tell.

Well speaking from experience many power aids will overload/distort if you’re attending a concert or loud music venue. Especially if you’re close to stage or concert speakers. I would never judge the overall performance of any hearing aid in a “very loud setting” though you mentioned your music venue was not loud enough to drown out conversation. I’m not a musician but with your hearing loss - I’m not sure there is any aid that will offer you reasonable results if your playing music with other musicians. Don’t expect the Naida Marvel to work wonders in loud settings either. The number one complaint from HA users is poor aid performance in background noise. More so if you have a severe to profound hearing loss.

The Phonak has more 'channels/bands

The Enzo is an amplification beast.

Look, You are already VERY deaf if you are using Enzo. These Power Aids ARE going to clamp down and release slow. Otherwise - they would simply point blank destroy the remainder of your hearing. They have to bring up softer sounds loud enough to be intelligible to you while keeping the louder sounds from damaging the remainder of your hearing. The more impaired…the narrower the difference will be between quiet and loud.

Both have the same db of amplification. The statement about compression release time is incorrect. The compression algorithm used in hearing aids is really clunky as compared to analog and digital audio production compressors. It takes a quality comp to be able to release quickly with a smooth taper so as to be un noticable. I know this subject as a former audio engineer who spent a lot of time with bass and percussion instruments. percussion like a wood block must have a super quick reaction and release time to sound transparent. Compressors Must be transparent - you should not hear them at all, attack or release… For bass with frequencies down to as little as 32 hertz, the release has to be quick and smooth so the bass tone doesn’t get squashed down to mush and the clarity of the attack and overtones are preserved. And the same things apply to a piano, too. All slow release does is drop the volume, and create pumping. It is a dinosaur left over from the days gone by. Even Mead Killion recognized this back in the 70"s.

1 Like

You’ll need SmartFit 1.6 for Enzo Q

Not on a Phonak, but for programming Enzo Q just get a Noahlink (or AirLink 2) pretty cheap to buy now.

No unfortunately streamer 1 won’t work on Enzo Q, you’ll need to update that as well.

Only when you update the firmware will it work ( pretty easy to do tho)

1 Like

Much thanks! My audi let slip that Airlink 2 will work with both Brands - it’s a relabeled NOAH link which for sale on ebay and Amazon. But IDK if it has to be coded to the Phonaks or not.

The streamer has to be for the Marvel line - the old streamer doesn’t work. But the new one supposedly does not have an input volume control. Since I used my Resound Streamer for live performance this won’t work if the on stage line level sound system has a hot signal.

PS - Also learned that the aids have a lot more low end that what the spec sheet says. A plus for me. I’d rather have to dial the bass back that turn it up.

With profound loss, soft speech will be never audible. Period.

Wrong - I have had a profound loss since 2014 and I hear well in quiet places. It’s the loud places that are teh trouble. And I have been self programming since about 2002. If you have a profound loss and you can’t hear soft speech then get your aids adjusted correctly

2 Likes

Just to clarify, when you say NOAHLink, I’m assuming you mean NOAHLink Wireless. Although not common anymore, there is an older device called NOAHLink that will not work.

1 Like

you’re right - thanks

I agree with azureblue. A quiet environment makes speech easier to understand in all levels especially compared to a loud environmental. It doesn’t necessarily guarantee that you will understand someone who is whispering. That depends on your speech comprehension levels and there are very few adjustments you can make to an aid that will correct a serious speech comprehension problem. Making the aid louder won’t correct it.