Compare Philips 9040 to Jabra Enhance Pro 10 Mini

Phillips are made and supplied by Demant A/S (who are also based in Denmark, they make Oticon, sonic, Bernafon etc) all Phillips do is print their name on the case.

Yes, I know that. As for ‘all they do’, . . . ? What I’ve read sounds like it’s a fairly new product, altho the company has been around for a long time.
Also, a Kirkland aid can use Partner Mic for distance connections, as my friend does.

There’s nothing that’s special about Phillip Rebranded HAs, Philips…a new product development? I missed that, your source for this information would be helpful, thanks

It seems they have been selling Philips “HearLink” since at least 2019. But I didn’t see them at Costco until this year. My information was v. incomplete (and still is!)

On other forum discussions on this site there is a lot of information about Philips. My original post on this thread was because I could find very little about the Jabra, which was also being recommended by Costco. I purchased the Philips because of the many good reviews I found. In California, I paid $1659. The Jabra would have cost $1759. Within a month Costco reduced the Philips price by $110, which they refunded to me. The price of the Jabra has not changed. The Philips is an excellent HA sold at Costco for less than an OTC HA, and I’m getting excellent in person service. I feel very lucky.

4 Likes

I use my remote mic (equal to the Audio Clip) with the TV, or my laptop, as well as around the neck of a friend. A very handy device! At around $200 this covers a lot of situations.

Are you using the Remote Mic feature of the Audio Clip for the TV, meaning that you play the TV speakers and have the remote mic on the Audio Clip pick up that sound to stream to you? If so, check to see if your TV has Bluetooth support or not. If it does, you can just connect the Audio Clip directly via TV to have the sound streamed directly to your Philips instead of having to use the TV speaker medium over to the Remote Mic to pick up the audio.

Same with the laptop as well. If you laptop has BT support, no need to use the Audio Clip’s remote mic to pick up sounds from the laptop’s speaker.

I do this is well but I use the multi mic instead, which is a very handy device, mostly when I’m out at friends place’s plus I like the fact it has a headphone jack for a laptop (or anything really with a headphone jack output)

Yes I, too, use the ReSound/Jabra Multi-Mic. I love it. :white_check_mark:

We’re you able to get Costco to show you how close the REM came to correcting the hearing loss

I don’t know the meaning of REM, but the Costco provider was very impressed at how well my Philips corrected my hearing loss according to the device she used. I did not try the Jabra. Now, with the release of the new Rextons, maybe I would consider them, but I would ask the Costco person, whose judgement I trust, what she thinks.

Real Ear Measurement (REM) is the verification that the sound at the eardrum from the HAs in ear corrects the hearing loss. The AUD’s say they cannot repeat the Hearing Test with the HAs programmed and in the ears to prove the Hearing Aids correct the Hearing Loss.
This is like telling a race car owner that the race engine cannot be run on a dyamo to verify the horsepower is what the engine builder says the engine will produce during a race.

1 Like

If a REM type device can’t be used to measure how well HAs work, can we only use our subjective sense to judge? If that is the case, I think my HAs help. Or is my judgement influenced by the REM results?

Of course. At the end of the day, what you think is what really matters.

REM is only a verification step to help you get to your ultimate satisfaction with the device faster. Let’s say if the HAs are off by a bit, and you didn’t do REM, then you’ll find that you’re not happy with the result and you’ll have to continually visit your HCP for many adjustments until you’re happy with it. But with REM, it may get you there faster if adjustments are made to match the target gain curve right up front. You may need to spend less time at your HCP’s office to make less adjustment before you’re happy.

That’s why many folks are willing to forgo REM and DIY because they can experiment very quickly with many different things to arrive at the best result they can get. Some with access to an HCP but are still DIY afterward will do both. They get the REM adjustment done and use it as a starting point to try out various adjustments as necessary to zero in on their most desired results. Eventually, a DIY’er with no REM (who knows what they’re doing) can probably get to their desired result just the same as a DIY’er who starts out with REM adjusted data, it may just take them a little longer, that’s all. But because it’s DIY, it’ll still take them far less time to experiment toward the best result compared to countless office visit to get an HCP to get there simply because the DIY process is far more efficient.

2 Likes

No. But doesn’t rem just verify that the aids match the programming, not your loss?

I would hope HA programming is based on a personal hearing test, and if REM matches the test, it would indicate whether HAs are effective. Also, DIY HA adjustments, if patients are skilled enough to do them, could be helpful as the last tweak needed. But, I don’t think I will ever take the time to learn how to do them because adjustments based on Costco’s hearing test and their REM device are subjectively very satisfactory for me.

Of course the HA programming (it’s called a prescription) is based on your personal hearing test (the audiogram), and the simulated prescribed gain curve is designed to match with the target as much as possible. But the REM gain curve is the result of the actual real measurement, and if the real measured result doesn’t match the target, then the hearing aids is tweaked so that the real measured result can match to the target as closely as possible.

This is all new to me and I can’t really say I understand all that others need. But I hope that what you describe is required at Costco. I think my Costco audi determined that my REM indicated such a good real measurement match to my hearing needs that no further adjustments were needed. I’m very satisfied that my HAs have improved my hearing. Not as well as when I was young, but I’m not missing conversations anymore.

Yes, it’s entirely possible that the REM process shows that the measured gain curves match the target gain curves well enough that no REM adjustment is needed. This is the ideal scenario and is good news that the hearing aids are performing up to par with what’s expected of them right up front.