Compare Philips 9040 to Jabra Enhance Pro 10 Mini

Fair comment, but still you’d expect them to have the confidence for any of the brands they sell,but we see this a bit of course ,where one clinic only wants to sell one or two particular brands to their customers.

I’d lean towards the Philips. It seems they have a track record.

to me both are similar, they are not real AL, just programmed devices that are able to recognize some basic sounds and adapt to it. … If I were you, I would like to try whether I understand speech better with HA 1 or HA 2? would try both in noise. But quickly, I would prefer Philips because I think that the Demant group has better differentiated the technology, the same group develops Philips and Oticon hearing aids, this does not mean that it is the same technology, but that Demant is 2 steps ahead. … You didn’t say anything about bluetooth, is it important because android works terribly, that’s what I hear from some, if they use MFI/Asha, it’s better to have an iphone and not an android.

So too does Resound.

6 Likes

When did you ask about the KS10? The KS10 had a lot of problems; eventually, Costco and Phonak (KS10’s source) parted ways, and Costco topped selling them. If you asked during the transition period between recognizing problems and stopping the sale (of the KS10s), you might have gotten the response you got. Honesty would have been much better, though.

IMO, there was no comparison between the Jabra Pro 10 and the Philips 9030 - the Jabra was much better in every way I tested it. IMO, the 9040 provides clearer and more natural sound than the Jabra Pro 10. I expect to stick with the Jabras because I use their Multi-mic accessory, and Philips/Oticon doesn’t have an accessory that does what I use the Multi-mic for. If not for that, I’d go Philips 9040 over the current Jabra.

But chasing the technology provides only temporary wins. A year from now, all the prescription HAs on the market will probably be better than they are now, and I wouldn’t bet a dime on which I’d prefer.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. My primary need is for voice recognition and I hope not to need accessories, so the Philips may be better. But Costco techs recommend I try the Jabra and the Philips. They have extremely generous policies. How can I go wrong there?

1 Like

Can you explain what the Jabra Multi-mic can do above and beyond the Philips AudioClip (the Philips’ version of the Oticon ConnectClip)? I believe there’s a Remote Mic functionality in the Philips AudioClip for picking up the voice of the person who wears it, or voices around a table if set in the middle of the table. It doesn’t have a mini-jack connection like the Jabra Multi-mic, though. But I know that Oticon has a similar version of the ConnectClip called the EduMic, which does have a mini-jack included in it. I don’t know if Philips offers an EduMic equivalent or not, though.

Whoa … I use the Multi-mic at live meetings where the mike is pretty much non-directional if placed horizontally. What I read in the user manual for the audio clip was that it can be a remote mic for one person. I could have misread it, though. Can you quote anything that says it can be used as a non-directional mic to pick up multiple voices? I don’t ask to prove any point - I’d like to see it with my own eyes, and it’s hard to stay awake when reading manufacturers’ words about their HAs.

I can live without the mini-jack as long as BT works, although I’m Luddite enough to trust wires more than wireless.

What programmer hardware and software did you buy? Does it let you select the4 option and can you set the gain up or down after you program to match your audiogram?

1 Like

You could check out the DIY forum, lot’s of information over there.

2 Likes

I think I misspoke, @philbob57 , when I said that the ConnectClip can be set in the middle of the table to pick up voices around the table. I think it’s only directional like you said, and the speaking person would have to wear it close to their mouth in order for it to be able to pick up on their voice, like clipping it on their shirt or wear the included lanyard. I think the same for the EduMic. So for sure the Jabra Multi-mic has a big edge over these 2 if it can pick up sound in an omni-directional fashion. Sorry for the bad information.

Hi,
You would need to buy a Noahlink Wireless device that connects to any Windows computer. I got mine on ebay for about $120 if remember correctly. Then you can get the “SmartFit” software here. There is an active thread in this forum right now, just look for Resound or Jabra software thread. When you download and update the SmartFit software on your computer, you then use the Noahlink to communicate that software with your aids. You can then make the exact same adjustments any professional audiologist would make. There are some good online courses on SmartFit and beginner hearing aid programming at Audiologyonline.com Once you register you dont pay for any courses unless you want certifications or class credit. So you get the same courses an audiologist would take and are using the same software and hardware.
Once your aids are connected to SmartFit, the software will “find” your aids and you can save all current settings on your aids, then tinker around with adjustments and if you ruin things, you can always go back to your original saved program or save any adjustments you make and compare them or use them at a later date.

6 Likes

No problem, Volusiano. It was definitely worth the double-checking.

BTW, for others who like the Multi-mic concept, it looks like Starkey has a similar accessory. Phonak has the Roger series, too, but that’s way higher cost than the Multi-mic.

1 Like

What does there’s a big Lebowski on a lot of the claims being made mean?

1 Like

??? The Philips is a fairly new branded aid, while the Jabra is ReSound (by GN) which has been around for ages, making a top product in Denmark.

Phillips are made and supplied by Demant A/S (who are also based in Denmark, they make Oticon, sonic, Bernafon etc) all Phillips do is print their name on the case.

Yes, I know that. As for ‘all they do’, . . . ? What I’ve read sounds like it’s a fairly new product, altho the company has been around for a long time.
Also, a Kirkland aid can use Partner Mic for distance connections, as my friend does.

There’s nothing that’s special about Phillip Rebranded HAs, Philips…a new product development? I missed that, your source for this information would be helpful, thanks

It seems they have been selling Philips “HearLink” since at least 2019. But I didn’t see them at Costco until this year. My information was v. incomplete (and still is!)