Cochlear Y Battery Charger lights flashing yellow

Any of you technical people have any insight into this issue please?
I’m 20 months post surgery, and my Y charger lights are flashing yellow on me instead of solid green when charged.
Is it possible to fix this or does it mean I have to buy a new Y charger??
Anyone else have any issues with your Y charger?

From what I have read that means your battery is going bad.
The attachment might help you.
https://support.cochlear.com/us/en/r/nucleus-7/articles/the-indicator-light-on-my-battery-charger-is-flashing-orange

@Raudrive thank you, I have a small HA brush here. So I cleaned all the batteries and Y charger connection points. And it’s working just fine again, so until next time I survive the cost of a new Y charger of $200 AU.

I’ve only ever used a single side of this charger at any given time. I would have thought I would get longer out of the charging unit, than I have before issues arose. I have 4 batteries and rotate them weekly.

But I suppose it’s all about money to Cochlear not durability of accessories.

1 Like

Good to hear all is charging now.
It sounds like it was just dirty contacts, not the batteries or the charger.
I haven’t had any problems with mine at this point but these are only 3 months in use.

1 Like

I have now identified the fault, I put a brand new battery on the charger, it’s flashing solid green. The battery I have been talking about has just died in my CI, yet again. So this battery is going in the bin…

I keep two in the Y at all times. Every morning I pull one out and use it. Not sure what the correct rotation is, but I was told to use all 4 batteries in a loop.
So…My rotation is the following: every night when I go to sleep I pull out the used battery and put it on the nightstand. I have a fresh charged one setting on the lamp on the nightstand (this puts two on the nightstand one dead/used and one fully charged on the lamp/nightstand).
The next morning, I put the fresh one from the lamp/nightstand in the unit and snap to my head. I then pull one of the charged ones out of the Y adapter and place it on the lamp/nightstand and finally put the used one into the Y adapter.
What a pain…

1 Like

What percentage battery do you typically have left at the end of each day?
I have the standard big batteries. They usually have at least half the battery left each day.

I have about 40 percent left in the battery after the day. I tried re-using one for a second day and it ran out after about 4 hours.

1 Like

I did too, battery failed about mid day.
I have two big rechargeable batteries and two implants/N7 processors. Charging both batteries each night. Deaf_piper has the compact rechargeable batteries, might look into getting a pair of those.

2 Likes

I have revived one of my seemingly dead rechargeable N7 batteries (twice) by cleaning the contacts. The very tiny battery electrodes which match up with the corresponding contacts on the device are spring loaded, and can get stuck in the ‘pushed down’ position. After carefully wiping them down with a Q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol, I managed to lift those little electrodes back into the contact position with the point of a pin.

After 26 months of steady use, they don’t hold a charge as long as they used to, but will still charge up.

2 Likes

Thanks,
Really helpful information.

Welcome to the forum downtown hotel. I’m 3 yrs post N7 & Resound Enzo. This has happened a lot to me this last year as well. I inadvertently found on the processor where it connects. You will find a little moveable clip. Make sure that’s always on the left when looking at processor where it connects. If it moves to the right your rechargeable battery won’t connect to your processor. I got caught and was lost without my processor until we figured it out. Thanks for your info I’ve not found those pins. So must go looking for them next time. I just clean mine with an alcoholic wipe and a child’s soft tooth brush.

I’m not sure the compact batteries are worth the effort. I have two standard and one compact. The weight saving is only about 2g & the battery life is about half. I use the compact battery with an Snugfit to keep the processor from falling off my ear when running, and I also wear a cap to hold the magnet in place (otherwise it bounces off). The only reason I use the compact battery for running is because I have it. Otherwise, I don’t think I’d have bothered buying it. My initial kit came with a standard and a compact battery, and I found the compact battery useless for day to day use, so bought another standard battery to rotate them around.

1 Like

I only have compact batteries. I get 12-13 hours out of a new one and I’m getting 7- 8 hours out of a 3 year old one. I don’t do a lot of streaming these days , but I do listen to the radio an awful lot. But I still get good hours out of my old compact batteries.

1 Like

Does this mean you have to carry a spare battery or two around with you? (That’s why I don’t use the compact battery on a day to day basis.)

1 Like

I’m retired so I don’t need to carry batteries around with me. I’m still able to understand most speech without my processor on. Depending on how early my day starts, I don’t put my processor on until I’m ready to leave the house. The only time I change my battery is if we are going out to a restaurant for dinner. Because of the noise in the restaurant I use live listen on my phone to hear clearly, so I don’t want to run out of battery then.