Cochlear sound processor firmware update

Hello everyone, name is Juan and I’m new here. I went in to see my audiologist because I had learned about direct audio streaming without the need for a phone clip, on compatible Android phones. But you need to update the processor firmware to Custom Sound 5.2. So I went in to get mine upgraded. But in my Nucleus Smart app, in the Settings> About section, my firmware says 4.2.4.4. So I am confused, as my audiologist said it updated when he connected it to the computer and device they use. I am curious as to what your firmware all says in the app. Is anyone willing to share? Anyone else use an Android phone? Thank you. Screenshot_20200607-151926|250x500

Custom sound 5.2 is the audiologist’s firmware. The Cochlear app says I am running 4.2.4.6. Since my activation was after Android comparability was out there I assume it would work if my phone was newer.

Thank you for the response, that makes sense. I was probably stressing for nothing lol. Cool, I’m learning alot here. Wish I would have found this forum sooner!

Ok, I got a CP1000 8 days ago to replace my CP810 and its firmware version is 4.2.4.4. It looks like my medical team does not install the updates as soon as they become available. What a pity that we cannot get firmware updates via the application …

1 Like

I agree I wish that were a possibility. At least for the tech minded.

@klown07 I had my firmware updated yesterday. 2/6.
My firmware is 4.2.4.5 a later version from what you have. But I’m not Android I’m iOS.

It will be interesting to see what the firmware is in your 2nd device when your activated. Good luck.

1 Like

I will definitely look that info up and share with the details.

1 Like

My CP1000 just got a firmware update today, the new version is 4.3.2.4.

Thanks,
I am scheduled for activation February 26. I can ask about my first implant N7 while there.

How did you know about the firmware update?

Just took a look at the phone app, found the firmware information.
Mine is at 4.3.3.0

@Raudrive I always wondered what happened to firmware updates once you pass the 12 month assessment. I’m on 4.2.3.4, my next appointment isn’t until November 2021 sometime. By the time I get to my next appointment we could have had 3 firmware updates. I could still be on 4.2.3.4 and you could be on 3 updates further advanced than I am!!

Just curious how they manage all these updates of recipients who are on annual appointments?

1 Like

In France, most patients with CI have only one appointment each year after the first or the second year. And some even less frequently. So we are getting updates at this rate, and not always the latest update since someone here has already a newer firmware version the day I got my update last week. Maybe firmware updates using the cochlear application will be allowed in the future, but it is not the case yet …

These updates might be for particular implants too. Newer implants might allow newer processor updates? I have the CI612 implants.

Thankfully I haven’t read about firmware related issues from Cochlear and other CI manufacturers like so many other issues we read on this forum.

I’m likely expressing my ignorance, but aren’t most updates for solving specific issues? If so, if you’re having the issue, it would make sense to get the firmware update. If not, I think one is not going to notice any difference. I too share the temptation of wanting the most up to date, but doing so can sometimes result in problems. The advice I’ve seen in general for updates is to check what gets changed. If it might effect you, consider doing the update. If not, leave it be for awhile to make sure bugs get worked out. It is certainly not unheard of for a software or firmware update to end up creating notable problems.

@MDB so far all the firmware updates I’ve had, my Aud has had to hook me up the the computer. I haven’t been able to check what the updates are about either, to make any decisions. Once I’ve been connected to the computer it automatically just updates. It’s different to my phone updates… Well it has been so far anyhow.

I obviously can’t say for a Cochlear sound processor as I don’t have one, but with all updates I’ve seen, there is a list of what the update does. My basic thought is that unless one is having some specific issue, one needn’t worry about updates. I would think if Cochlear did an update that it thought was crucial that it would have a way to notify people.

1 Like