Cochlear implant Disposable batteries life/ share your experience

Hi want to inquire about the life of disposable batteries while using cochlear implant. Kindly share your experience . I have been thinking about getting cochlear implant for my right ear. So want to compare pros and cons of rechargeable and disposable batteries. Your input will be appreciated.

Throw away batteries can’t be used with the Cochlear N7 Aqua Kit so you would need rechargeable batteries to use the kit.

Not 100% but I think that’s also the case with AB Naida M CI.

Have no idea with Med El.

Advanced Bionics processors - at least the Q90 and the latest M90 Marvel - have rechargeable batteries, but also offer as an accessory a battery case which holds two disposable 675P batteries. I am currently using the Q90, as a new implantee, as I wait for the M90 to finally get approval for distribution in Canada. I have the battery case, which looks just like a rechargeable battery. However, I have not had the need to use it yet, so I am also curious to know how long the zinc air batteries last, the cost, etc. I do know that they are not regular hearing aid batteries, and you can’t just pop into the pharmacy and grab a card of them - at least not in Canada. They are more powerful than a regular 675.

3 Likes

The Cochlear Nucleus 7 can be used with rechargeable or disposable batteries.
The Kanso 2 is rechargeable only.

I can not help you about how long the disposable batteries last with the Nucleus 7 because I have never used anything but the rechargeable batteries. Maybe @Deaf_piper or @pathurley could help with this question.

1 Like

@susanmarylynn I have a N7 but I use disposables when I go away. I have a compact rechargeable battery which lasts me around 14 hours.
The disposable 675P last me for 2 days. I’m 2.9 yrs post implant and don’t do very much nowadays in rehab/streaming.

2 Likes

When I got my kit from Cochlear I got both compact batteries and rechargeable in the bad. But you get a choice of either standard or compact batteries. I chose compact and get a full day out of mine. But I’m retired and don’t do a lot of hearing type work other than conversation, and the odd phone call.

Utilising a Nucleus 7 here. I use the standard rechargable battery as the main power source. These get recharged every two days and I have the processor on all day, listening and streaming.
I think the battery life decreases a little when my hair gets long and I’m finding they need to be recharged earlier on at the end of two days.

On occasion, I do use the disposable batteries. From memory these lasted about 3 days. At two disposable batteries a pop in the cassette, that’s a lot of batteries being used up if it were the sole power source.

1 Like

Thanks, @Deaf_piper . That’s good to know that a 675P can last a couple of days. There has been the occasional time that our power has been knocked out for lengthy periods due to inclement weather, and I wondered how long I could expect to get out of disposable batteries. When our world rights itself, I would like to resume travel before I am too old, and disposables would be useful should I find myself sitting overlong in an airport. Interestingly, I have discovered that I use far less power in my rechargeable batteries when I stream, than when I listen to music, podcasts etc. acoustically. My audiologist confirmed that this is true. However, being bimodal, I like the balance that my hearing aid provides and I also like to keep that ear stimulated. Having received my implant during Covid, I am living a very quiet life as well, and also getting about 14 hours from a medium rechargeable. It will be interesting to see how long they will last when I resume a more active social life outside the confines of my home! Cheers!

1 Like

Susan the only thing I was told when I used disposable batteries was not to put them in my dry box. And make sure I disconnect properly at night so they will last longer.

1 Like

Thanks, Sheryl! I will make sure to remember that! Good to know.