Closed domes and still have feedback

Does anyone know of anything I could put in my ear after my hearing aid to stop feedback? I currently wear closed domes, and have tried tulip domes, but they are very uncomfortable. It’s just one ear that gives feedback. Very annoying

I’d suggest a custom mold. I’m guessing you have an odd shaped ear canal that the dome can’t seal. Alternatively, I think there are some foam inserts that could replace the dome.

2 Likes

Agree with MDB. I used double (power) domes and was still having feedback issues that I couldn’t manage. Changed to custom (silicone) domes and problems went away. Made a big difference for me even though I had thought the power domes would fully seal the ear and not let sound leak out to create the feedback.

Chris

1 Like

What brand and model of hearing aid are you using? Which ear is giving you feedback and what does it sound like? The reason I ask is that in the normal 3-4 kHz feedback prone range your hearing loss is not real bad.

Have phonak B90s BTE.

What are the foam inserts? Yeah, I think Custom ones are the way forward.

Phonak has great feedback control but sometimes the pro doesn’t use it, and lowers gain instead.

Also, the domes may not be the right size and may not be sealing.

Custom molds are comfortable and fit completely in the ear canal.

The only way I know to reduce the feedback is the whistleblock and even when this is on the highest setting, it doesn’t stop it. Happens when I walk past walks or even turn my head whilst sitting at my pc. Are there other ways to stop the whistling with phonak target?

Are you doing the programming?
Like Don, Phonak has excellent feedback control. I have never had issues with feedback using Phonak aids.
Looking at your audiogram my guess is you need closed domes or custom molds with very little venting.

1 Like

These:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TrueFitOr–westone-true-fit-foam-eartips-orange-size-5-pair?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3332696835&rkg_id=0&product_id=TrueFitOr&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20SKU%20-%20Live%20Sound%20%26%20Lighting&adgroup=Live%20Sound%20Monitoring%20-%20Westone%20-%20truefitor&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=337614396935&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw6vvoBRBtEiwAZq-T1c5Emot-0YqKHll6_uAj2FXtWSKKFAFuf9eGr9Xw8JirAVHvwWTAoxoCPoMQAvD_BwE

Some have tried them and been very happy. No guarantees, but it’s pretty cheap to try them.

Is that the feedback slider setting on every program? That should take care if it. Are you pushing the domes in all the way? They should go in your ear canal until the wire or tube is against your head. If they are the Bolero I would also check to make sure the tube is pushed together with no leaks.

IMO, something is odd here. For HAs calibrated to the loss indicated in your audiogram, I don’t think you should have much feedback even with small-vent domes. Are you able to ask an Aud or fitter about your feedback problem?

1 Like

So do you use those instead of the domes?

I have no experience with them. I’ve seen some on the forum speak highly of them but I didn’t find any comments with a quick search. Yes, the idea would be to use instead of domes. It’s quite possible they wouldn’t work with your particular receivers. And I’m just guessing about the cause of your feedback. As others have commented, your loss shouldn’t be that tough to provide feedback free gain for.

I had feedback, just one ear. Tried many domes and finally went to a smaller closed dome. It just slides in easily and securely- no more problem. Perhaps not usual but an easy fix if it works for you.

It looks to me from this Phonak Acoustic Coupling Guide, that there are six options for the BTE models. The Power Dome may be worth a try in the problem ear first.

Open Dome
Closed Dome
Power Dome
SlimTip Hard
SlimTip Soft
Traditional Earmold

It may be best to discuss trying a different type with your fitter.

1 Like

And it’s my left ear. It’s a high pitch feedback

What methods, other than whistle block to you use to stop feedback on phonak target? And yes, I’m doing the programming, but even when I use the settings set up by audiologist, still get feedback. It’s mostly when I turn my head whilst at the pc

It seems the more low frequency gain I give myself, the more feedback

Strange, because your left ear seems a little better, and in the 3-4 kHz feedback range the loss is really not that bad. Also strange that more low frequency gain would cause a problem. I’m thinking it must be a poor fit of the acoustic coupling. If it was the type of coupling you should have it in both ears.