Cheaps ways to keep your hearing aids working well, without breaking the bank

Taking good care of your hearing aid means they’ll last longer, work better and save you money.

In my practice however, it surprises me often how many (often long term) users aren’t taking a few simple and inexpensive steps to help their hearing aids last longer.

THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE. In fact it can cost you next to nothing.

Our bodies are made of moisture, we sweat, we often we live in humid environments and we often go from warm to cool settings that can result in condensation. All of this is bad for electronics and so its not a terrific surprise to me that hearing aids don’t last as long as people would hope they would.

Fortunately there are a couple simple steps to extend their life.

As a good part of regular care you should place your hearing aids in some sort of drying jar over night. If you got one with your hearing aid set then great, your all set. Now just make sure you use it and that the beads inside are still active, they usually have colour indicators of some sort.

If you didn’t and what I’m talking about sounds unfamiliar, don’t despair. There are reasonably inexpensive to buy but the even better news is you don’t even have to buy one if your interested in saving a few dollars. There are some advantages to commercial drying jars, or better yet more advanced dryers but lets skip that for now.

The principle behind these jars is fairly simple. The jar seals your hearing aids over night in an “air tight” environment and something in the container acts as a drying agent to remove any moisture, condensation etc from the hearing aids. This is most often done with desiccant beads that, as they fill up or saturate with moisture, will change colour.

The most common form of desiccant bead is silica gel. You know those little packets you find in a new pair of shoes, a new purse, a bottle of pills or electronics? I’m taking about little packets that usually say “do not eat” on them and either look like a little canister or an enlarged salt packet. These are desiccant beads (usually silica gel) and they’re enclosed in your packaging because they soak up moisture and thus protect things in shipping.

If you collect these and place them in a sealed container like a mason jar you’ve now made a hearing aid drying jar for almost nothing.

Dry uncooked rice is also a natural desiccant and will also work in a pinch. This is the reason you’ll often find a few grains in salt shakers, to help prevent the salt from clumping together with humidity.

Commercial jar might work a little better but these home made solutions should also do a good job. The only problem is the beads won’t last forever so as you find new packets change some of the old ones out as you won’t know when they’re getting saturated.

BONUS

Putting your hearing aids in a container like this at night is part of a good routine. It means they’re always in the same place, they’re safe from children, pets, accidents (eg spilled water or flood), getting knocked to the floor, getting lost and any other number of life’s unexpected happenings.

In fact, if your hearing aids are NOT in your ears, I recommend they stay either in your night time jar or a travel case as almost every case of lost or damaged hearing aids happens when they aren’t. Even with the best of intentions hearing aids in a tissue get thrown out, hearing aids in a shirt pocket fall out, hearing aids in a purse or pant pocket have a habit of getting caught with keys and wallets, hearing aids on a counter get knocked off. Hearing aids in the ear or a case are almost always safe.

This may have been review for many but I hope this was helpful at least for some

Thank you, I did find some useful reinforcement in this post.

You’re absolutely right about shirt pockets and kleenex–very risky. I was in a restaurant in December and the sound from my aids was bothering me, so I discreetly took them out and put them in the clean cloth napkin on my lap, intending to leave them there for only a moment until I could find a better place. Then the waiter came up or something, and I eventually got distracted in conversation. I came close to leaving them in the restaurant because of it, though I didn’t. It might be a good idea to take a travel pouch and put a keyring through the zipper tab and attach them to one’s keys. Having designated locations is one way to prevent loss. I’d add that it’s also important (and so I learned) to be careful about where you take them out, and also where you wear them (the beach, or for snow sports or shoveling can be risky, for example).

And my audiologist agrees with you: she says her patients who are good about drying their aids nightly generally have many fewer problems than those belonging to patients who don’t.

Thanks for the info. It’s probably cheaper and more effective to buy a product called “DampRid” and make your own drying jars. A 42 oz refill bag sells for about $7 and is used to remove moisture from closets. The product sucks moisture out of the air and should be thrown out if it becomes damp and replaced with fresh stuff. Here’s wishing you a dry, dry, aid. :slight_smile:

If you cut toilet paper tubes just right, they can be made like a large funnel that narrows down to where you would slip each ear into a tube facing forward with the end opened up.

Then, you wouldn’t have to wear your hearing aids in enviroments that are harsh (extremely dusty, wet, etc).:cool:

Thanks this is an informative post. I will get my 1st aids on Feb 14th. What can I expect to get with my $4960 aids as far as cleaning tools, travel case, night time storage case, drying devise, etc. I have no idea what to expect??

I have to relate this story about storing your aids. I got my first set of aids 11 years ago, they were in the ear type. About a week after getting them I went on a organized bike ride. I realized pretty quick I could not wear them as the wind noise was really bad. So…I put them in my jersey pocket. ( I ride a recumbent so my pockets are on the front). About an hour later the temp warmed up and I needed to remove my long sleeve undershirt. I stopped at a rest stop, removed my jersey, then removed my long sleeve top and put the jersey back on. About 2 miles down the road I thought about the aids and sure enough, they were not in the pocket. I backtracked and started looking. All I found were very small pieces, no bigger than the #10 battery. They had been run over, or stepped on, either way, totally destroyed. Lesson learned the hard way. :frowning:

I do have a nice electric dryer my aids go into every night. It also goes on any trips I take.

Note: Do not leave your aids in your pocket and wash your cloths and dry them. (Dont ask how I know. LOL) They do still work, kinda, main reason I am getting new Octigon Pro’s as I dont want to spend any more money getting the Resounds repaired.