Cheaper alternatives to Roger?

I am hopefully waiting for Apple to add the Mic Mode controls to the Live Listening feature because I can then trial the Voice Isolation setting. This is apparently very good at filtering out voices from a noisy background.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of the Roger On, which many people consider to be the best (and most expensiveā€¦) remote mic. For me itā€™s been a godsend. Although it cost me $1200, my Kaiser Permanente plan saved me $1000 on my new aid, and after 50 years of having a BiCros, I was able to do without a transmitter on my deaf ear, so the economics worked out well.

One alternative that Iā€™ve seen that people have liked are the Widex Sound Assist. It uses Bluetooth to conect to a telecoil, so I assume it can also be used with any non-Widex brand that has a t-coil. I donā€™t know the price, and I assume that thereā€™s a delay because of the Bluetooth transmission.

I also think the AudioTellligence Orsana, which is still in development, looks good. It uses a new, faster Bluetooth version and will hopefully solve the problem with Bluetooth delay. No word yet on when it will come out, or the price, but it should work with any aid that supports its newer Bluetooth version,

1 Like

I corresponded with AudioTelligence. The Orsana will not immediately be available to end users. They will be working with other manufacturers to make customized versions of the Orsana, which I assume will be available from HA manufacturers and other hearing-related businesses.

1 Like

Hopefully there will one gadget suitable for profound hearing loss. The gadget will selectively transmit the voice to our hearing aids in a noisy environments.

Hi, I currently am demoing a Specsavers (UK) Phonak Paradise equivalent ITE HAā€™s,

I bought a Bluetooth Transmitter as I would like to connect to a Airplanes media system whilst going on holiday, it uses Bluetooth 5.0 but it does not pair with the aids, does anybody have any ideas why not?

I did the same procedure that @dennytoo described.

I also saw a recommendation to disconnect the HAā€™s from any other connected Bluetooth device like iPhone first, but that didnā€™t work either.

Sooo, next question can anyone advise if the Phonak PartnerMic has a headphone jack socket on it?

This is getting really annoying as my last hearing aids Phonak Venture, although no direct Bluetooth connection, connected to a ComPilot 2 which then could connect to any Bluetooth device and also came with the headphone socket, so it feels almost like a step backā€¦ I had hoped the Lumity and Paradise would connect to Bluetooth receiver without the need for a Dongle.

Anyway I would really appreciate any advice.

Kind regards

Ian

Phonak partner mic does not have a headphone jack.

It has a charging jack that is USB C and it does not seem to accept any data through that port. I experimented a little but not extensively.

I attempted to help another hearing aid user with Bluetooth enabled Hearing aids (Widex) connect to a computer audio via a 1Mii transmitter, and was not successful. We swapped out every part of the system and regardless it worked with my hearing aids and not his.

I am not a bluetooth expert but I am learning that there are multiple types of bluetooth that are not necessarily cross compatible.

1 Like

@SlowNSteady Many thanks for the confirmation it is really appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Am I the only one that has had big problems with the PartnerMic?

Great concept, and when it worked, it was terrific. But Iā€™m on my third one, the warranty has expired, and itā€™s completely useless.

First one: battery life was terrible, about 30 minutes. Replaced under warranty.

Second one: better battery life to start, but degenerated quickly to about 30 minutes.

Third one: I donā€™t even know about battery life anymore, because this thing canā€™t be turned off manually. The only way to turn it off is to plug it in. Iā€™ve had this one for maybe two months.

I havenā€™t decided if I should do battle with Costco, since theyā€™ve already replaced it twice and itā€™s been over a year. I paid $350 Canadian for this, which might be cheap compared to a Roger, but itā€™s been almost unusable from day one. It canā€™t be just me!

Itā€™s exactly like the one in the picture.

Iā€™ve lost track of the exchange rate, but you can probably get a used Roger On on ebay for less than what you paid for the PartnerMic. Some members here often sell them, too.

You can try RƘDE Wireless Go II,Its sound delay is very low and the transmission distance is up to 200 meters

I think the receivers/licenses are around $600. A used Roger Pen is less than $100. I bought my Roger On In for $1600.

Ive used both Roger on and Roger Pen. Both work very well.

Edit: I still have my Roger Pen so could connect it as an extra table mic.

There is a Roger Pen IN, with two receivers, for $499 on ebay. Have no idea if it is legit.

Just got a MyLink and my HAs have coil in them. Do I need any other equipment to use the MyLink? How do I set that up? How does it work?

Not sure what you are asking, but my understanding is the mylink would connect to whatever the sound source is, but lets say it is a Roger On. The mylink would then transmit the incoming sound to the hearing aids. The hearing aids would have to have a tcoil program and you would change to the tcoil program when you are ready for sound.

If you have the MyLink you just need the Roger On. Your hearing aids will communicate with the Roger On using telecoil via the MyLink.

If you have the Roger On iN you will not need the MyLink as the Roger will directly communicate with your Phonaks. (Assuming they are Phonaks).

I have the coil in my hearing aids and now I have MyLink. Havenā€™t used it yet though. So, if I use the MyLink and turn on my coil in my hearing aid, will I hear directly OR do I still need another piece of equipment? I have the Select, do I need to also use it? In other words, to use the coil in my HAs with the MyLink, do I still need to use the Select? Sounds like I do need to use it, right?

Yes You will need the Roger Select and it will need to be switched on. You will need to switch to telecoil and turn your MyLink on.