Changing wax trap on Phonak p90

Does anyone have problems changing the wax trap on a Phonak p90 ? Every time I try to change my wax trap I have problems getting the old one out. The little plastic tip that points toward you is always leaning over and touching against the side and I can’t get the disc to push in and remove it. Last time it happened I took it to the tech at the VA and she couldn’t get it out either. She just replaced the receiver. Does any one else have problems or have any good advice on removing wax traps. My last set was an Audeo B and those were simple to change.

2 Likes

I used a tiny embroidery needle before I went to activevents. My wife has better up close eyesight, so she did better than I did. But a fine needle can get it out. I used a magnifying glass to check to see if it was straight before I jammed it down in the disc. The filters for activevents aren’t better. I’ve had to use a knife point severs times to get them out.

WH

1 Like

Yes, I found it challenging as well. My problem was solved when I changed to moulds which use the old style of wax guards.

1 Like

Yes, these moulds are called slimtips, see here:
(Problem with Phonak P90R in noisy environments - #21 by sterei)

1 Like

Mine do use cerustop, but there are a variety of earmold types available and mine are not slimtips.

If I have problems, I use a pair of fine-tipped electronic technican’s tweezers.

2 Likes

I use a sewing needle if I’m at home.
If I’m at work (as I needed to last week) I use my Swiss Army Knife. It’s not as good. It’s possible. I use a fine tip until the wax guard is protruding a little bit, then use the tweezers.

I’ve gone without the wax guards for a couple of weeks, then had my receivers replaced by my audiologist. I was awarded HA’s due to exposure to loud noise at work, and it covers maintenance.

This is a terrible design!

DaveL

edit: my take is that these are the Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s I have the rechargeable version of these. P90R’s.

1 Like

Assuming these are bte aids and you don’t really say, those little things are actually sound resonators and not wax guards. Again, assuming these are bte aids you can replace the hook along with the wax trap simply by unscrewing the hook and replacing the entire hook.

They are the Audeo Paradise P90-13 and are BTE. I don’t know what you are calling the hook that will unscrew. Nothing like that on my Aids.

Thanks for all the comments and help. I have tried using a fine needle before and fine tip dissection tweezers to no avail.

Ok no ear hook on the audeo paradise.

Phonak Paradise P90 and Marvel M90, etc. are RIC (receiver in canal) aids, not BTE (behind the ear) aids. There is a lot of understandable confusion about those terms, since both types sit behind one’s ear! I’ve never had BTE aids, but apparently they have a kind of hook which unscrews from the case or body. I know from the pictures I’ve seen that the piece which projects out from the case is of larger diameter; assumedly that’s what hass5744 is writing about.

1 Like

Yes, the BTE have the receiver (speaker, in common language) in the body of the hearing aid, not the ear, and a tube conducts the sound to the ear, usually to a mold. Some aids use a slim tube that looks almost like a wire. Some use a thicker tube. The location of the receiver in the body allows it to be bigger for more power output than the restrictions that would go with the receiver in the ear.

WH

1 Like

Thanks for all your suggestions and tips. I used a needle to get the little tip centered and got the trap changed just fine. I don’t know what I was thinking when said my AIDS were BTE, I know they are RIC. Years ago I had kind (Phonak) that had the hollow tube that went from the aid to the ear mold. I still remember having to run the little monofilament cleaner down the tube to push the wax out of it. At least I just have to change the wax trap on one aid, the other side is the CROS aid.

Thanks for your post here. I’ve had a terrible time with my wax guards for the 1 1/2 years I’ve had my Paradise P90’s. This morning I had to replace one twice, because i didn’t get it in right.

There must be a better way. (I’m using the little plastic thing that helps keep my receiver in my ear. It makes it harder to change wax guards.)

DaveL

I have figured out that the little tip sticking up has to be centered or it just doesn’t work. Good luck with yours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing that Phonak didn’t realize while field testing (if they even do that) that the CeruShield disks are an awful design. Happily, with Lumity they went back to the CeruStop wax guard on a stick design which my first Audeo M aids and also my Resounds use.

1 Like

I was in my audiologist’s office next to him. I complained. He called Phonak’s office which is only 5 miles away.
Person there said they had no complaints. They were on speaker phone. After the talk my audiologist complained. I have a stockpile to these darn things. When I change 2, i have to take one out and put another in.
I can barely see them. I’m old. Dexterity? Nope. Eyesight? Nope.

I’m getting by…I told my audiologist that when I replaced the Paradise P90’s I have if this wax guard is the only choice, I want a different make of hearing aid.

Thanks for telling us the Lumity uses different waxguards. I had those for about 10 years in old Phonaks and they were good.

DaveL

Dave, I don’t for a minute believe that Phonak actually has “had no complaints.” Before getting the Lumity hearing aids I had at least two conversations on different occasions at Phoenix VA Audiology, one with a technician and the other with my audiologist, in which both agreed that the CeruShield disk wax guard remover/dispenser which was necessary with my M90 Marvel aids is an awful design.

1 Like

That was a genuine phone call at my request; I listened in. I said the same thing to my audiologist. He’s passionate about his work, and I appreciate it. He was very polite, but we agreed. I’m grateful I have these hearing aids. They work far better than my last ones, provided by another audiologist. They were replaced 2 years after I purchased them.

I think that whoever designed these wax guards was very young, had good eyesight and great dexterity. I’m not in any of those categories

Thanks for your response.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Actually, my Lumity were provided with earmolds, for which the CeruStop wax guards are used. I don’t know what kind of wax guards come with Lumity dome type receivers.

1 Like