Changing the wax guard on Resound Omnia 5

Resound recommends changing the wax guard every month on the Omnia 5. Is it possible to examine the wax guard with a magnifying glass to see if it really needs changing?

This is really such a subjective opinion, one month or two, every week or so for some people, the recommendation is so that newbies don’t go running back to the clinic saying their HAs are “broken” just do it when you think it needs it, once it starts to fill up with wax you’ll notice a difference in sound quality anyway.

I have the resound omnia and quattro. i only change it when it becomes muffled

I worry about the world’s waste stream. I hope–if your HA uses batteries–that you are recycling them along with any other household batteries. I’m sorry that “wax guards” add another tiny plastic thing to the waste pile–something that will so easily end up in the ocean. :frowning: Please make sure that yours go into the appropriate trash.

1 Like

My trial Oticon Real aids, powered by 312 batteries, are getting more than 4 days out of a set, so I anticipate changing batteries every 4th morning. Let’s assume that every hearing aid user in the US uses batteries at that rate. Compare the total weight of the batteries they discard annually, to the part of the US annual municipal solid waste stream that isn’t recycled or composted. I came up with hearing aid battery waste being 1.5 thousandths of a percent. Not percent, not tenths of percent, not hundredths of percent, but thousandths of percent. As a fraction, 1/66000 of the waste stream excluding recycling and composting.

Edit: I figured 1 in 10 adults using hearing aids, based on some answers from Bing Chat. I suspect the number is smaller, so the fraction is less than 1/66000. The point is, it’s small.

I agree with @tenkan, but if you want to then you certainly can look at the wax filters on Omnia receivers with a magnifying glass or the magnifier app in your phone.

I do this occasionally and look to see whether I am getting a good reflection from the metal in the filter. But if in doubt then change it, especially if you are thinking that one or the other ear isn’t hearing as well as usual.

I wonder if a Receiver behind the ear would be a better choice. No wax guard to replace. Less fuss.Less things to worry about.

I don’t think so. BTE is really only indicated for profound losses and RIC is, in my opinion, a better approach for lesser levels of loss, not least because you don’t need to change the tubes every few months and the devices are usually smaller.

no, It is only a matter of preference. I have the resound omnia RIC and i also have Oticon BTE for super durable tank backup If you really want long term, get BTE because RIC wires breaks really easily.

This is total nonsense. I have used Resound RIC aids (I have had all of LINX, LINX 2, LINX 3D, LINX Quattro, One and Omnia) for 15 years and I never had a broken receiver wire. In fact I never needed to replace a receiver. I really can’t believe you say that seriously. You are joking right?

No i’m not joking, I am talking about my experience using UP receivers in encased mold… they are pretty bad… The UP recievers don’t get reinforced as good as the lower power variants

I replaced one or two receivers a year when I was wearing Quattros. Medium receivers with power domes, and the wire frayed near the receiver. Stress from insertion and removal, I guess. @david.hendon, what’s the secret to your receivers’ longevity?

1 Like

My old ReSound BTE HAs got 2 weeks out of a set of two #13-batteries!! I live alone and often didn’t use them when solitary, and I would open the battery compartment at night.

My reciever wire right now is becoming loose right now, i will have to send it soon but it is much better than with my quattro line which kept breaking 2 weeks. I carry 2 UP earmold in case if wire failure where one acts like a backup…

Just always being gentle with them. And although I am using domes currently, I had moulds for many years.

I’ve never broken a wire either in over ten years, but I use domes and not molds.

I can see where molds would be an issue, while domes wouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes