Central Auditory Processing Disorder - Technology? Hearing Aids?

Hi everybody,

I have looked through a couple forums but I can’t seem to find the information I am looking for. I am hoping someone will know something about this topic!

I recently found out I have Central Auditory Processing Disorder. My audiologist recommended an FM system for college classes and social settings - specifically the Phonak Roger Pen and Focus. But I can’t afford it.

However, there is a chance that I would be able to get hearing aids. My audiologist told me that they might be helpful, but they might not be. She also said that it is controversial as to whether someone with CAPD should use hearing aids. So, I am sorry if this has offended anybody! I am really just trying to figure out what would be best for me.

To anyone wondering - my audiogram showed that I do have hearing in the normal range. However, it has dropped about 10 dB on the low frequency side in the past 2 years. I am 18, so I feel like that’s kind of weird.

Does anyone have any knowledge or personal experience about either of these topics? Especially the first one! I truly am at a loss of what to do.

Thank you in advance!

Have you checked eBay? Phonak Roger Focus complete system with Inspiro clip on mic receiver hearing aid | eBay

I would be hesitant to purchase something in this variety off of eBay, though I will look into it. Thanks!

You might want to discuss it with the college you will be attending. The US has ADA mandated support for such environments and colleges are usually aware of the need and often can provide solutions. Other country may have a similar capability.

I bought my Roger System off eBay and I’ve been very happy with the quality. Saved me a lot of money.