Cardiac Meds Causing Tinnitus-Any Suggestions

I had an MI 19 years ago and was on cardiac meds for a long time without knowing that they were contributing to my tinnitus and hearing loss.

I had another heart attack 2 months ago and have been put back on several cardiac meds. I have noticed that my tinnitus is getting significantly worse to the point of interfering with my ability to hear even though I now wear HAs.

My cardiologist, understandably I think, puts more importance on preventing another heart attack. But I am getting concerned about the ototoxicity of these drugs and I am struggling to find an appropriate balance between my fear of further hearing loss and protecting my cardiac situation.

I have only had my HAs for just over a year. As we all know, they are very expensive and the entire process of finding an AuD and aids and fittings was long and frustrating. I am worried I will have to do it all again or that I will have further permanent hearing loss from the drugs I am told I have to take.

Does anyone here have advice or info on substitute drugs that may not have the ototoxic effects of the ones I am listing below? Or advice on how to best minimize the effects of these drugs?

Metoprolol (Lopressor) I think this is the most ototoxic but others on my list are also reported to be ototoxic.
Aspirin
Plavix
Lipitor
Ranexa
Lisinipril
Pepcid

Are the effects permanent? cumulative? Is there anything I can do to lessen the Tinnitus?

I wear Epoq XWs. Are there any settings in the HAs that might help with the tinnitus?

Any Info would be of help.

[Partial QUOTE=Squeezer53;28193]
Does anyone here have advice or info on substitute drugs that may not have the ototoxic effects of the ones I am listing below? Or advice on how to best minimize the effects of these drugs?

Metoprolol (Lopressor) I think this is the most ototoxic but others on my list are also reported to be ototoxic.
Aspirin
Plavix
Lipitor
Ranexa
Lisinipril
Pepcid

Are the effects permanent? cumulative? Is there anything I can do to lessen the Tinnitus?

I wear Epoq XWs. Are there any settings in the HAs that might help with the tinnitus?

Any Info would be of help.

Metoprolol (Lopressor)
– hundreds of alternative Blood Pressure Meds

Aspirin – probably the biggest contributor to tinnitus.

Plavix – article suggests bad side effects

Lipitor – besides the fact there is no Clinical proof that Statin drugs provide any relief in prevention of Heart disease or Heart Attack

Ranexa

Lisinopril – there are a hundreds of Blood pressure control drugs this is an ACE inhibitor probably to prevent renal damage from all of the other toxic drugs you have been given.

I am not a health care professional, but I would seek a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion regarding all of these meds and their combined affect on your body.

Your cardiologist is apparently is covering every angle, but seems to be more concerned with Pharmaceutical companies profits than your overall health.

Find another Cardiologist, exercise daily (even if it’s 5 miuntes walking inside your home) cut fats, add bran and whole grains.

Lots more raw vegetables, far less meat… etc.

Good Luck

This is a tough situation. Have you talked to your primary care doctor about your issues? Many times this mix of doctors don’t know what each other is doing. Your PCP should be able to help you with this if he /she will take the time. You could do some research on the net and maybe have a few choices for your PCP to look at when you talk.

Good Luck

How are you doing? Getting any relief?

No Relief, but thanks for asking.

I’ll probably call the ENT after new years if it continues to be this bad. With another MD involved it may give greater weight to my concerns when presented to the cardiologist. I’d still like to know if the effects of these ototoxic drugs are cumulative and/or permanent. I’d be less concerned if the side effects were transitory.

Another 8+ months have passed for you. Any news? I ask because I am taking a similar set of drugs (Metoprolol, Aspirin, Plavix, Simvastatin) and my tinnitus flared 3 months after I started them.

Julian

These include cardiac medications such as metoprolol. (Lopressor) and propranolol (Inderal). Many psychopharmacologic agents cause tinnitus.

take care
Jeni