Can you check my REM result?

Hello. My audiologist did REM for me. I’m pleased with new aid configuration. But one thing confusing me hard.

Gain feels like too much for me. REM test shows 40db gain on 2khz for 65db input. Does it mean output is 105db for my ear? Because no one can handle this output. Besides 80db+ risky for human, you know. Can any audiologist help? Or a experienced person.

I stopped using aids cause I felt risky. Here is my audiogram and REM result.

I understand that you are concerned.

My Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s have switches that allow me to volume or reduce volume. The way they were setup my practitioner he ensured that the volume was sufficient.

He did something unique. No audiologist had done it before. He provided me with 2 Phonak reports…Target Pro Report and Target User Report. I can finally see what my hearing aids are capable of, and how they are actually setup.

I wear my hearing aids 15 to 17 hours a day. From past experience I become so tired mid day trying and straining to hear.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I use Oticon More’s right now and same switches allowed for me to reduce volume. I’m so glad things are going well for you.

Actually, I am also satisfied with the program. I can finally hear well after it.

My concern is high gain will harm my hearing. Says it’s 105db.

Someone else will have to answer.
I’ll look for a video I’ve seen on audiograms. I’m happy you’re concerned. I have some learning to do to answer your question. I don’t interpret my audiogram as you have done. I dont mean to be judgmental; I’m trying to help.

Dave

1 Like

Here’s a wonderful explanation about audiograms and how to read them.

Dr. Theodore H. Venema

He is passionate about audiology and has taught for years.

I found his work when I was trying to figure out why my hearing aids didn’t work the way they were setup.

DaveL

2 Likes

Ted Venema is awesome. But, unfortunately it’s not what I am looking for. I’m mostly trying to understand the Real Ear Measurement results. It shows the 40db gain for 65db input, what it means 105db output in total.

Accordingly, aid gives 65db sounds to my ear as 105db sounds. And 105db would deafen me even more. So, it’s just very risky.

This is what I’m trying to figure out.

1 Like

Yes, both aids are over prescribed at about 250% of the actual gain needed.

Rule of thumb for your loss is the 1/3 gain rule (unless there’s more conductive element). So if your loss is 45dB, the gain applied should be around 15dB. 65dB should yield an 80dB output.

For a 60dB loss, approximately 20dB, therefore 65 dB in gives 85dB output.

105 dB is probably around your uncomfortable level and totally overprescribed.

Also the Right hand test page looks really dodgy.

5 Likes

Thanks Um_bongo

your posts always teach me something new.

@valor
My hearing damage was done when I was working in the Power House at 3M in Canada. When they finally measured sound levels it was 110 dB. There was no hearing protection then. I have a workman’s comp settlement because of that. I’d rather have protected my hearing back then. Later they told me I should wear hearing protection anytime I was in the Factory.

DaveL

2 Likes

@Um_bongo
You’ve been very helpful. Fortunately, I did not use it for a long time at high gain.

When I asked my audiologist if the output gain is harmful, he said it’s not harmful for the left ear.

I wonder if gain is lower than what is seen in REM because the hearing aid is custom-molded. Therefore, maybe he said it was harmless because of it.

But, I won’t use it like that anyway. Thank you.

@DaveL
I am sorry to hear that. 110 dB, wow, it’s incredibly high. I wish you could protect it. But we must look ahead in every way, you know. I hope you don’t have major problems when communicating.

Mine hearing loss happened cause I had menengitis when I was three-month-old baby. So, I have never heard like a normal person in my whole life. Hearing aids are helpful but can also be harmful, as you see in my example. I wanted to investigate. Thank you for helping.

1 Like

I’m pleased to meet you here. I’m sorry you had meningitis. I try to help; but don’t have skill reading audiograms myself.

My late Great Aunt was deaf from birth. She raised my Father; his Mother passed from Spanish Flu back in 1918 in prime of her life, in BC Canada

I’m feeling really frustrated because of issues hearing with my hearing aids. I’m finally making progress!

This forum is amazing. I’m very lucky it’s here.

Sad…when I first worked at 3M they had no hearing protection. Sadder still…much later they supplied hearing protection that was featured in a huge lawsuit by Veterans who now are Hard of Hearing. It’s very similar to what they provided in the last few years I worked at 3M. I wonder if it was the same? I relied upon it for hearing protection up until August 1988. Total…I worked there for 15 years.

DaveL

Rule of thumb for your loss is the 1/3 gain rule (unless there’s more conductive element).

Um_bongo,
Is there a rule for when the coductive loss being almost identical to the air loss?
Thank you

1 Like

Yes, you use the 1/2 gain rule for conductive losses.

So say your loss is 50 dB; of which 20dB is conductive and the remainder is Sensorineural - the conductive portion of the gain would be 10dB and the SN part would be 10dB. So 20dB gain overall.

This is just a basic rule of thumb, individual manufacturers and property gain rules will deviate from this basic calculation, but it won’t be miles away.

2 Likes