Can’t get a good fit for my right ear

Hello!

I have oticon mini rite and generally love them but I can’t get a good fit in my right ear.

My canals are tiny and twisty. For reference even the pediatric “nipple” for the audio testing does not fit snugly in my ear for testing. (I also think this makes my reading slightly inaccurate but that’s another story)

1. 6mm open dome is good but something about the fit is causing the wire to vibrate strangely and giving me a reverb sound. I am on my third pair of aids and new wire, so I have narrowed it down to the fit. When I hear the reverb sound and press on the wire it clears up.
  2. Custom molds were a no go. Receiver too big to fit in in canal mold and domes give a closer fit in my ear.
  3. Molds with double vents (BTE style) still give a huge plugged up feeling. I have very good low freq hearing and am a singer so being able to let in good low freq sound is important to me.

Is there anything else I could possibly try? Thanks!

Have you tried a concha lock with the 6mm open dome?
Maybe try some other manufacturers open domes? (Many are interchangeable)
Possibly try a bigger open dome and cut a section out of it.
This is all going to be trial and error.

Hello! Yes I have a “sports lock” which I love. I could not wear domes without them, for me they are great. Yes, I have slits cut in my open domes.

I have not tried other mfg domes that’s a great suggestion. Will ask my aud about this.

1 Like

What about a double “power” dome as pictured here. I buy mine at Amazon. That way, you can work the dome into the ear as far as comfy. When feedback is gone, it’s in the sweet spot.

Just for the record, I’ve never found ONE SINGLE THING to keep the speaker tips planted in my ear canal. Not even the LEASH. As the day progresses, and I articulate my mouth and face, whatever is in my ear WILL work its way out. So I just keep pushing the aids IN the canal all day long.

Thanks for the reply. i don’t have loss in the low frequencies so power domes can be quite occlusive for me. Have you tried both snd gotten a better fit with power domes?

The issue I think I am having is not so much that they are working their way out of my ears but that my canal is twisty so it is just hard to fit. I have heard somewhere of the possibility of a dome with a thin tube but not sure if that’s folklore!

YES! Resoundingly! There is no other tip (custom mold, silicone tip, any material made) that I can live with on my speaker tips. I really SHOULD be wearing a custom mold into which that speaker is inserted, so it fits super snug, but I’m allergic to all the materials they’re made from. (Haven’t tried titanium yet, but am tempted).

I’m VERY lucky to have these flexible, gooshy power domes, cuz on top of the allergies, my ear canals swell UP every single night, and then they shrink down after being up on my feet a couple hours. EVERY DAY. So I always had a tough time jamming the custom molds into my ears. They wouldn’t go IN. So I’d get feedback and PAIN.

I have not heard of that folklore tale regarding the dome with thin tube. I can’t even picture what it would look like? Perhaps there is a leprechaun member here to SHOW US! :raising_hand_man: :four_leaf_clover: