Can someone interpret this audiogram for me?

Hello All,

Just wondered if someone could help me understand this audiogram. I’m waiting to apply for a job where there is a minimum hearing requirement.
The standard you must be able to hear is 84dB at 0.5, 1 and 2 KHz and/or 140 dB at 3, 4 and 6 KHz .

Looking at my audiogram below does this requirement rule me out?

Much Appreciated

M

So you can hear everything below the line on your audiogram, you meet the requirements you’ve explained :blush:
For example on your right side you hear 55dB at 0.5 and 1kHz and 70dB at 2kHz - these are quieter than the required 84dB.
We don’t even test to 140dB - I’ve never come across such specific and loud threshold requirements for a job before

1 Like

Hello @Moore8 and thanks for this.

So basically, I’m wearing two Starkey Hearing Aids, but I’ve wanted to explore becoming a Police Officer in the UK against this standard set-out here -

1 Like

@mthomas_uk

My brother works with a deaf police officer.

I don’t think her hearing loss is too severe tho as shes wearing Phonak Nathos Auto Ms.

3 Likes

What you put as the standard and what I read were different. I find it confusing how the standard is written, but it does say the “total” loss so I’m thinking you need to add up the losses at the different frequencies and hence I don’t think you’d qualify. Best to check with somebody that really understands the standards though.

1 Like

Sure thing, buddy. I suppose the real question here is whether I’d be able to make out important sounds in an emergency, like sirens or overlapping conversations, even with hearing aids. If that’s doable, then I might have a shot. I’ll get in touch with Police recruitment directly and see what they say. Thanks for your input, everyone.

It depends on your HR policies.

If they accept you can wear a set of power low profile ITE in the course of your duties (like someone wears glasses), there’s no reason why you couldn’t hear practically as well as your colleagues.

However, if part of your other PPE/Comms doesn’t work with wearing Hearing Aids, it might cause you other issues.

In the U.K., your employer is expected to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to allow you to work around your level of ‘ability’.

1 Like