Can NHS Phonak M70 SP hearing aids be fitted with thin tubes or do they have to have molds

I’m about to receive SP aids,molds have been taken,but after reading some articles on the forum ref inclusion,I’m unsure if molds are for me.can thin tubes be fitted or does it have be hooks and molds.
I am new to the forum and new to this very technical world of aids.

Not sure what “SP” aids are.

My NHS Phonak Bolero Marvel M70 aid (fitted last week) is fitted with a thin tube and a power dome (my hearing has improved slightly so I don’t need a mould).

It works pretty well (I can hear what my kids are saying), lightweight, comfortable and easy to use. The audio quality and robustness of Bluetooth connection is solid to both my watch and my phone (you can pair two devices, but only one connected at a time, unlike my Spheres, 8 devices, 2 at a time).

The only issue I have is that it is battery (312) powered rather than rechargeable.

I’m very grateful to have it, I wasn’t expecting to get NHS aids for 6-18 months, hence buying some from Wholesale Hearing (who have been great).

1 Like

Yes , you could fit thin tubes “SlimTube 4.0” + domes to Naida Marvel SP (M70 SP)

See page 6 on the spec-sheet

It is depending on your hearing loss

1 Like

@Anthony_T

Hi Anthony

I have Sky Naida Marvel M70 SP aids, and yes, there is a fitting for thin tubes in Target including with domes, Slimtips and C.shells. Here they are:

I have full mo(u)lds as well, but I prefer these, as I get zero occlusion and they’re less bulky.

I used to have a pair of Naida Paradise P30 UPs. Although thin tubes would fit the aids, there was no fitting in Target, and when I tried them, they just sounded weird.

Hope this helps
Peter

Thank you for your helpful replies.Peter excuse my ignorance but what would you call the Earpiece fitted to your hearing aid in the picture if I wanted to look them up.
Thanks again Tony

Hi Alex,as my loss in high frequency is large I’m being fitted with M70 SP,which I believe stands for super power.
Tony

1 Like

They are slim tips.

They are Custom slimtips :slight_smile:

Just a quick note for anyone saying that this ‘can’ happen:

If you get a puncture you ‘can’ run your car on the space-saver tyre that the manufacturer has helpfully installed under your boot/trunk floor. You ‘can’ run at up to 50mph for a distance of 30 miles……….

With milder losses, small canals and some configurations of tubing it’s feasible to use slim tubes, provided you do REM to check and the aid actually is set-up for the correct acoustics at inception; however the Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park) quote applies - ‘Just because they could, doesn’t mean they should’.

There’s a raft of reasons why this can lead to non-optimal fittings. If it’s all you’ve got/can afford, then maybe……

2 Likes

Is there any reassurance from the acoustic data sheet showing both normal and thin tubes?

@Um_bongo @michael1
Here’s the Target fitting ranges for both. The thin tubes are restricted to around severe. Anything worse will need full moulds.

If my loss was much more, the thin tubes wouldn’t be sufficient I guess?

Peter

1 Like

That graph assumes a residual canal volume of a certain size. If yours is much bigger or if there’s too much venting, it won’t put out that level of gain. Other considerations like tubing resonance and feedback control aside.

2 Likes