Can boosting speech comprehension turn down the volume on my aids?

Be sure to test it out before you NEED it. Some packs have a minimum power draw to stay active. They will shut off long before you are charged up. Someone here posted maybe a year and a half ago or so about some packs that have a mode to go way down in power draw without shutting off. Chuck maybe? @cvkemp ??

WH

1 Like

With the smart charger for my More1 aids I don’t have to worry about it anymore any power back will recharge it. But if you have a regular charger you will need a power pack that doesn’t shut off once the device is charged to a certain point. With my S23 that level is 85%.

2 Likes

Hi tenkan! Thanks for the info, do you have the software that enables you to see what features are available for Rexton?

Now I’m really wondering what on earth she “boosted” if there is no speech boost :thinking:

I’ve been in the Automatic start-up, so I don’t think that was the issue.

But the SoundPro 2.0 and fitting assistant - this rings a bell! In her office, she had me take the Rextons out, and then did some kind of “fitting” on the software. After that, I put them back in, and was at 50% volume capacity (if that).

How difficult would you say the software is to learn? I’m not too terrible technilogically, but I think I’ve been reluctant to invest the time :laughing:

Update!

I went to a new lady at a new Costco and she was absolutely fantastic! She programmed me back to the setting I had before this whole mess transpired. Once the volume roared back into my ears, I literally felt tears in my eyes. It was so terrible to be at 50% volume when I’m so used to hearing the world around me, all the little noises like fans, AC, road noise, etc. All those sounds had been severely dampened. This past week, when I put my aids on in the morning, I could barely tell and sometimes had to check just to be sure they were ON. Now, when I put them in, the world roars to life around me!

However, I am back at square #1, still struggling with speech comprehension. Particularly with my two step-sons, ages 10 and 12. Most of the time, I barely catch what they are saying sigh

As much as I love hearing the loud, noisy world around me, it makes me think that I DO need to dampen it a bit in order to focus on and hear voices better. Any expert thoughts on this issue?

2 Likes

Hi there, hey great you were able to get one problem sorted, but this post tells me it was the noise reduction features kicking in a bit aggressively, remember it takes time to get used to HAs and maybe this is another issue for you, but yes DIY is not hard, I think it’s easy enough for most, I’ll send you the software and you can have a play around and see for your self what’s possible, the software does a lot of things automatically for you, including having a built in “fitting assistant”

Oh, that would be amazing! Can the software be sent via email, or a link?

All done check your PM, cheers

Thank you! I’ll play around with it later tonight!!

1 Like

I make that a surge protector with a cord built in.
I plug my hearing aid charger in, and my cpap machine. It has saved me during thunder storms in a hotel.

Hotels…plugs are always hidden and too far away. And there aren’t enough of them.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

@Bubbly
I feel your pain.
I need to figure out how to self program myself. Except I have an iMac and have little computer skill.

DaveL
Toronto

@Bubbly

I don’t have your brand of hearing aids.

I was able to program using the myPhonak app. It allows me to adjust using a setting they confusingly call “DYNAMIC” on the app. I found that if I changed it I could “increase soft sounds” and that helped a lot.
Do you have an APP with similar features?

I hope this helps. I"m sharing just in case it does.

Well if you buy from Costco, they change out your wax guards for free. This works out great for those who live close to a Costco and don’t generate a lot of wax.

I’ve used their service a half a dozen times when the wax guards gets clogged.

That is good to know! I do have a Costco near me, but have already bought my aids from an ENT clinic. My audi is a CHARM, but getting someone to pick up the phone at her clinic and set up an app’t is a HUGE HUGE boner! It’s always set to robo-attendant.

Signias and Rextons (they are the same HAs), have several places in fitting software, related to speech. Some are redundant somewhat after moving to AX platform.
I’ve been using Stylettos 7AX for almost a year while self programming and still they’re not where I’d like them to be.
Just remember that proper fitting sleeves/domes or molds are really important as the software will auto adjust to them and lower or raise its range of capabilities depending on the fit.

For the longest time I had the issue of loud sounds being too loud, while lowered and normal speech wasn’t being boosted enough.

1 Like

IS the software you’re sending the same for all hearing aids or is it specific to the brand???

I have a Desktop iMac that still has good capabilities I think; however, Apple, in its infinite largesse, has stopped providing updates and now its almost impossible to download any essential (if you want things up to speed) updates and/or new programs that sound great but I can’t download them.

So I’m wondering, in your opinion, would my desktop be able to use the software for DIY? My computer is 10 years old I think and hasn’t been privileged to get support / updates for at least a year. It has plenty of storage/memory. They say its a hardware issue but imo that doesn’t hold water in my non-techie opinion. Apple just wants to force me to send this desktop to the great electronic junk heap and buy a new one but that ain’t gonna happen as I have not been happy with Apple almost from the beginning and have had several bad experiences over the years.

My computer info - if you’re into that and care to give an opinion. Excuse if its off-topic on a hearing aid forum?

| Model Name:|iMac| with Mac OS High Sierra - 2010 purchase
|—|—|
| Model Identifier:|iMac11,2|
| Processor Name:|Intel Core i3|
| Processor Speed:|3.06 GHz|
| Number of Processors:|1|
| Total Number of Cores:|2|
| L2 Cache (per Core):|256 KB|
| L3 Cache:|4 MB|
| Memory:|4 GB|
| Boot ROM Version:|99.0.0.0.0|
| SMC Version (system):|1.64f5|

| Hardware UUID:|BF4A7739-B8D7-5723-8B07-BEC993BB709E|

Sure you’ll be fine, just have to work out how to install windows on your Mac, most use bootcamp but there’s lot of different ones available.

It’s pretty easy to get a cheap windows laptop nowadays so whatever is easiest for you

The software is specifically for each band in most cases, some rebranded models can use the same software like KS10 from Costco for instance uses Phonak target software.

Have to make sure the processor is x86 not ARM.

I have the same issue.
My iMac is mid 2010 I’m starting to have problems with Google reading emails, and had to use another app.
I wish I had more computer knowledge. I would have been (attempting) self programming for my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s.

Your post is very helpful for me. Thank you

DaveL
Toronto

I’m a technically inclined but not expert Windows user, and not a Mac user at all. That said, I don’t think you’ll get acceptable performance from a 10+ year-old Mac running Windows in a virtual machine. Performance aside, the last thing a technically-challenged user needs is the additional work of getting Windows working on a Mac.

So, IMHO, if you two guys want to do hearing aid DIY you should get a cheap laptop, maybe used from a reputable computer guy, running Windows 10 on an x86 processor.

@x475aws

Thanks good suggestion! I’m grateful. As I become older my money put seems so empty.

DaveL