Can anyone here read an audiogram?

I have been hard of hearing since having meningitis at age 3, but only recently have gotten serious about getting some hearing aids. I’m currently wearing a Lyric in my left ear only, my audiologist said it would do no good for my right ear. This helps some, but I can’t help but think there is a better - and cheaper - solution!

I’ve been told that I have unusual hearing loss, even profound loss in my right ear. Despite this, I usually do very well in one-on-one situations, and even with background noise. Many people don’t even know I have a problem until I tell them! But if someone is speaking from another room - or even from across the room - that is when my hearing loss is the most apparent. Meetings at work are difficult, and I usually find myself staying quiet.

I guess my question is, does anyone here have a similar type of hearing loss? And if so, what hearing aids have helped them the most? Any feedback sincerely appreciated! No pun intended :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wonder why you chose the Lyric? Is discretion very important to you? I would think that a Receiver In the Canal type hearing aid would probably serve you best.

1 Like

Lyric would have to be the most expensive option. Ask your audiologist if they can recommend a RIC model for you to try. They are rarely noticed by others and you might then be able to get a pair.

I saw an ad for the Lyric one day and went in to get a trial that week. Until then, I didn’t even realize that hearing aids could be so discreet! (I’d always avoided them out of vanity, ridiculous, I know!) Not only that, but the convenience of the Lyric appealed to me as well… never having to take out to change a battery, could shower/swim in them, etc. It’s like i don’t even know it’s there at all!

Unfortunately the Lyric is not strong enough for my right ear, so I’m trying to do some research on what my options are :blush: I’d love to be able to wear similarly discreet aids, but realize that may not be an option as it seems like the smaller aids are geared towards mild-ish hearing loss.

1 Like

You’re right that you have a very unusual loss. I have a less common loss as well,but different than yours. Your loss is severe so I am surprised you’re able to hide it. You should find a good audiologist and try some different aids. I use the Oticon Opn and am satisfied with them. I also wonder what your word recognition/speech discrimination scores are.

I will look into the Oticon Opn, thanks for the suggestion! Are they RIC’s? I also wonder how I’ve managed to get through life without any type of aids, I guess mainly because I didn’t realize how much I was missing until I got my Lyric! I did do a word/speech recognition segment when I got my hearing test, but don’t remember my scores. I need to call and ask!

The person who programs the aids is probably more important than the aid brand/model. This is especially true when your hearing loss is not typical. Could you go back to your audiologist and ask about your other options? Lots of different brand hearing aids would probably work ok for you. You could also get a second opinion. Some audiologists only sell certain brands. That is not always bad. Have a read about what features are offered by the major manufacturers and think about whether you want direct connection to your phone or devices to stream from tv etc. Read lots and you will be an informed consumer.

Oh - and don’t worry about the visibility thing. People are generally very poor observers. You will probably have to tell them if you want them to notice a RIC.