Buying Phonak in one country but lives in another?

My mum lives with me in UK for a few months every year, and spend the rest in China. She has hearing problems and we need to buy her hearing aids. We’ve spoken with audiologists both in UK and in China, and we think Phonak L series is a good option for her. Now the problem is, in China the best model available is L70 and in UK we can get L90. We are thinking about buying her L90 in UK but are concerned about the potential needs for readjustments. Would she need to readjust fitted hearing aids from time to time? If so, would she be able to do it herself? Would love to hear your experience and advice. Many thanks!

I bought mine (Oticon) from Holland online and stay in Malaysia. Service all done in Malaysia. USD10-11 per hour for servicing or adjustment.
Do not rush into buying Hearing aids. Take your time and learn for the experience people in this forum.
Maybe put up your mum audiogram in this forum and let the people (sifu) comments.

1 Like

For self programming, she’d need the Phonak Target software, and the Noahlink Wireless programming device.

Although L90s may not be available in China, I doubt the programming software will be restricted, so she ‘should’ be able to have hers worked on.

Peter

2 Likes

Thank you very much dankailo! Allow does guarantee work for you? Do you plan to mail it back to Holland if there’s an issue?

The best model in China is also L90, not L70.

1 Like

Oticon HA has 2 years international warranty. There is a local Oticon office in Malaysia. So far no no problem. HA depend very much on individual type of hearing loss. Buy from the major manufacturers…

Maybe in some cities but unfortunately not the one we live in

All authorized hearing centers can order different levels of phonak products from the phonak China branch,it’s odd that they say L70 is best.
Maybe you should consult a different hearing center, it’s always good to ask more questions before paying.
Generally speaking, after purchasing a hearing aid, you need to program and adjust the hearing aid several times. For new hearing aid users, and in the case of few REMs in China, you may need to adjust the hearing aid several times with patience in the first few months before you get a better result.

1 Like

Thanks a lot minglxs! I asked my mum to check again after reading your post. They confirmed that indeed she can get L90 but it’s a lot more expensive than L70. L90 is about RMB 45000 and L70 is about RMB 30000, where these two are both sold for about £3300 in UK. So in short, L90 is indeed available but somehow a lot more expensive in China.

1 Like