BTE vs. ITE

This might help you with some details.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. Interesting finding. The Virto M has a directional microphone and binaural voice streaming. I thought the Titanium has it also.

1 Like

Personally I prefer BTE, simpler, stronger, more reliable to me I choose bright colors or finishes as they are easier to find. Prefer tulip ot bulbs over molds. I have made my living in design but hearing trumps aesthetics.

1 Like

No. Virto Titanium hasn’t bidireccionality. The titanium is a metal that doesn’t allow the communications between HAs…
Source: Phonak Virto B Titanium Invisible Hearing Aid | Dr Cliff AuD

1 Like

It’s not because it’s metal, it’s just because it’s small. You lose features with any IIC because of the size.

3 Likes

Here is more information: . Titanium is a dense metal that has a shielding effect, and wireless transmissions are not possible. This includes incompatibility with wireless accessories used for streaming and Binaural VoiceStream Technology. User control options include either a push button, or a MiniControl.

Source: Phonak Virto B Support FAQs | PhonakPro

Your attachment is for the Virto B. Not to confuse with Virto M.
If I am looking at the charts right, the the Virto M 312 has wireless and Bluetooth functions. This also includes binaural technology.
These are interesting aids, have just about everything the RIC and BTE aids have.

2 Likes

That’s right. The Virto M 312 is really interesting. I would give it a try. Let’s see what my audi says.

2 Likes

I answer you first in english language, thereby the other people understand. There is another reason to choose a BTE: a Hearing Aid cannot give you back the full Hearing. If your conversational partners see your BTE, in the most cases they feel sympathetic with you, when you something not understand and have to ask for repeating a sentence.
Es gibt einen weiteren guten Grund, BTE Geräte zu verwenden. Die Hörgeräte signalisieren dem Gesprächspartner, dass man schwerhörig ist und selbstbewusst dazu steht. Wenn man nachfragen muss, weil man etwas nicht verstanden hat, ist der Gesprächspartner sofort bereit zu wiederholen und findet es nicht komisch, auch wenn es vielleicht mehrmals in dem Gespräch vorkommen sollte. Die Gespräche laufen so viel entspannter ab. Das ist meine persönliche Erfahrung.

That is also true with the half shell and full shell ITE hearing aids, they are just as visible and now days even more visible than the smaller BTE hearing aids.

Thanks for your info. This is new to me. A little BTE, for example hidden under the hair is not visible, you are right.

If you do go for the BTE with custom mold, make sure there is absolutely no feedback, even at high volume. The difference in sound quality between an old leaky custom mold and one that is acoustically tight in the ear is huge. I had my new Phonak Naidas fitted to my old custom molds that were fitted to my old Ambras 7 years ago - while I waited for my new molds to be made and delivered, When I got to pull the old ones out and had the new ones fitted, the difference in sound quality was like a total sea change!

3 Likes

Thanks again for your opinions. Good point from Aby, but I admit that cvkemp has also right, the Virto M HA are big enough to be observed.
Thanks Gramps for your suggestion with the molds. In my trial period I have a “one size fits all” custom mold because I had several HA and was so easier to change the manufacturer. I’m still looking for a good source for custom molds, I thinks here is a little bit more to improve.

1 Like

I am long past hearing aids --bilateral CI–but stay informed most of you would not believe the improvement of hearing aids in my life time. Size of batteries and required power to run the aid and its features have been major controlers of size and location. --Bose in making a Over the counter aide hEARPONES=–increases sthe power to provide better func tionality but gives us an aid that is located in a collar worn around the neck. Streaming is the greatest improvement in my opinion -s- just wish tit was easier to switch between for conversation with partners.

1 Like

I started off with RIC because I didn’t want the HA’s to be as visible as BTE. Never considered ITE
Turns out my moist canals destroyed receivers and my small conical canals would not retain them either whether domes or moulds.
Ended up getting BTE with full silicone moulds and standard tubes. They are VERY comfortable and VERY secure. I had a lot of trouble with occlusion but eventually they managed to put in 4mm vents. I could not get used to occlusion.
Can’t hide them now and don’t care

2 Likes

Gramps,

What kind of earmold did you get for your Naida Marvel? I am about to get new earmolds. I have a bit more high frequency loss than you, but my lower frequencies are beter. I think most feedback issues are at the lower frequencies.

I have the Audeo Marvel. With custom molds and a vent of 3mm. Absolutely no feedback problem with the Marvels. And I reduce the feedback compensation programmed from my audi with 2-3 levels. Still no feedback. Phonak manages it very well. I can’t say the same about Oticon or Signia. There I had to reduce the vent because of the permanent whistle.

My Audéo Marvels using SR2 are always on the verge of feeding back in my right ear (HP cShells with 1mm ish vent); when adjusted up for my latest audiogram as close as possible with these molds the right just howls constantly (or so my audiologist said). I’m going in tomorrow for changes in support of my new audiogram; Target says the fitting should be UP receiver with occluded fit based on latest data. So we’ll see how that does for a couple of weeks while waiting for surgery…

As far a I know, the only way to get rid of feed back issues is to reduce the vent size. You should choose the completely closed ear molds/double domes. Occlusion will be a problem.

1 Like

Yep that’s the plan based on e-mailing with my audi over this past weekend :slight_smile: Also tuning up of SR2 to push stuff even lower I bet.