Brain stimulation & Cochlear Implants

I found this to be so true, along with being a very interesting article to read.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04553-z?error=cookies_not_supported&code=486726b3-3631-4dfd-9f67-01cc4f6aa520

3 Likes

That’s an interesting article.

I suspect this information directly relates to anyone with hearing loss that puts on a hearing device to improve hearing.

A new drug in the making?

1 Like

Its all about brain plasticity. Maybe steroids for the brain, that target that region?

1 Like

@Raudrive I’m not sure I’d want a drug affecting the LC in the brain. It controls so many areas in the body that are very finely balanced.

But I do think where Graeme Clark mentioned neurotransmitters and technology could be the way to go.

I know many factors come into play with how quickly after activation some people can understand speech… And others take some time to understand speech. Those that have good lows, understand speech quicker than those who have reasonable high frequencies and poor lows. This was something that was pointed out to me from my CI AuD whose heavily involved in the research side of things with Graeme Clark.

1 Like

Hi Sheryl,

I have been on the website the last week and enjoyed reading about your cochlear journey. . We are somewhat similar. I got excited with your results at first as I thought you were implanted in your 70 plus ear, I have just been implanted in my 53yr pre lingual deaf ( Im 53 yrs old) left ear in early December at Melb E & E…and now I’m really concerned…its too late anyway and I will take what comes , I was advised to do it…no guarantees but they believe I could get up to 70% or more with that ear, currently 34% aided and 12% unaided…but basically that ear had never been stimulated with a hearing aid as I found it useless. They will use the hybrid and if I don’t like it can opt out. Right ear is ok, 55% unaided and 85% aided, prelingual also…they said they wont touch that ear. Want to say I appreciate your very informative posts…

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying that you were implanted a few weeks ago in an ear that has had profound hearing loss for your entire life?

Has that implant been activated yet?

You might want to start a new thread for your CI journey.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and being a CI recipient @Adelbelle.

You have just been activated, with N8? You are so lucky having N7 as the N7 clarity was hard work. Congratulations. @Raudrive the E&E activate 2 weeks post surgery.

For having just been activated you are doing very well with 34% to date.

It’s very early days to be disillusioned yet. Do lots of rehab, streaming anything you can get your hands on. Audiobooks, Podcasts-ABC Listen, Ted Talks (if you like the American accent). Then you have iAngelSound, Hearoes and Bring Back the Beat. (I did eventually work my way though this, just recently though) When your streaming block off your good ear, this forces your CI ear to do the work. Go to all your mappings as they help bring things clearer for you as well.

Getting a great result depends on you, and how much effort you put into it. So lots of rehab!

Prof Briggs wouldn’t do my congenital ear first. He did my other ear instead, when I had my CI surgery it was only 3 years since I had the SSHL. I’m still debating if I get my congenital ear done and going bilateral.

It’s great to have another CI user and Melbournian on the forum.

Can you post your audiogram in your profile please.

2 Likes

Join your local library, they have library apps that you can borrow audiobooks through free.

@Adelbelle from what I can understand if you have good low frequencies you should do fairly well with a CI. But still no guarantees.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
Have some patient, it took me about a year to get used to the implant. Everybody’s brain wires at different rate. I was disappointed at first, (hearing nothing at activation except for low frequency at first), and i had the will power to keep wearing it, I kept listening to ted talks, many different videos, and so much more. Now i am a classic high performer, scoring 70%-80%, Looking back it is well worth the effort i put into it and It has been almost 5 years since i was implanted!

3 Likes

Hi, Yes implanted on Dec 6th. Profound in left ear since birth most prob, never found out really. Right since birth also, but much better. Will be activated on Jan 3rd.

3 Likes

Yes, I was thrilled when I saw you were from Melb! Professor O’Leary was my consulting surgeon. So not activated yet, all those numbers are pre implant, from aided/non hearing aided scores. I just found it interesting that your surgeon said no and mine said yes…I know Im younger…anyways, thanks so much for the heads up with rehab options. Im looking forward next wee to activation, just keeping my expectations in check. Wondering how my poor left side brain will cope lol, but always hoping for a miracle of sorts, wrapped in hard rehab work that this implant works!

1 Like

Yes, I think thats what got me over the line possibly, will have to ask them. I will post my audiogram tonight.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back with us.

Most of us with CI were very nervous and scared to get the implants. We read everything we could get our hands on about the surgery and the equipment that would be used.

It’s a huge amount of information to take in!

I would bet on your 53 year deaf ear being successful. I have read too many examples of it’s working out great but there is always a chance of failure. If your surgeon is optimistic that’s a huge plus.

Rehab might be frustrating at first. It was for me. Figure out what works for you. Everyone is different.

Please keep us updated and good luck.

4 Likes

@Adelbelle How is activation going? Hope you are on your way to better hearing.

1 Like

Joan how are you going since activation?

@Deaf_piper Sheryl, I feel like I am doing really well based on what I’ve read of other experiences. I’m in week 3 since activation and voices are much less Darth Vader sounding already, I can understand speech pretty well, for instance I can listen to my audiobook with just my CI, streaming or just my phone mic. Scoring in the 90s for the with CI rehab apps like Word Success, Angel Sounds and Hearoes. I am on the highest of five volume programs my AuD set up already at 2 weeks, and she expected I might not get there in 6 weeks. I didn’t retain much natural hearing, but not concerned. Music sounds not bad and I am starting to decipher some instruments. Mind you it’s not easy in noise, and I am still sensing the HA and CI voices as very separate. I sense less delay between them already.
Thanks for asking. I’m pretty excited with the early understanding.

4 Likes

Hi Joan,

Well almost 48hrs have past and its all very low drama. I have none of the annoyances that I have read about, that is robotic voices and beeps etc. I have this almost consistent static…almost a tinnitus sound in my implant ear. Oh, there was drama post the activation appt, walked out back to my car and took my hearing out to go it alone with the implant on the ride home, broke my wire on my aid putting it into a container! Have only done that twice in 6 years!. So was implant only for 24hrs till I got the aid repaired next day…and I coped really well. I did turn the volume/program up to the highest straight away. My partner said appear to be doing well with that alone. Funny thing is, when I put my aid in the next day, I was expecting more volume but it was understated again, didnt feel like it added much but it must be. So nothing earth shattering atm, but its giving me something and very comfortable…looking forward to my first mapping on Monday. Oh, finding putting it on and everything verrrry awkard!!. And all the electrical equipment by bed side is hilarious. Phone, laptop chargers, implant charger, dryer box…doubt I will ever have a cup of tea again on my side table in fear of fire or economic ruin from a spill.

So that’s me, how are you faring on this brave new journey!?

1 Like

That’s a great start. I’m not using my dryer unless something happens - AuD didn’t emphasize a need to use it all the time. I have a trickling water sound in my CI that has gotten much quieter since day 1, and now I have blips where it disappears. I notice some reverb with consonants which I hope can be managed by mapping on Jan 30. So glad you are doing well.

I think my constant sound could be described as trickling water also…so similar. It disappears sometimes…So your results with rehab apps…Do you stream to the implant ear? I have to set all this up today. I have just been reading to myself, without my hearing aid.

I’ve been doing most of my rehab with my CI ear using my phone mic, not streaming, but I will go through and do streaming later. I put an ear plug in my “good” ear. I have Advanced Bionics with the matching Phonak Link HA, so the streaming works really well and uses a single app to control both. I can answer my phone by tapping my HA and be hands free.

1 Like