Bluetooth version in hearing aids

I’m looking for my first pair of hearing aids. If I’m going to spend $5k on something like this, I don’t want outdated technology. I’ve found that most HA manufacturers bury info like Bluetooth version very deep - and the only version I’ve seen mentioned so far is Bluetooth 4.2. If any of you have been following the Bluetooth versions, you’ll know what a huge difference BT 5 is. So far, the only brand I’ve found that actually states using BT 5 is an OTC Chinese brand that costs $150 a pair. Does anyone know of a presecription set of aids that uses Bluetooth 5?

1 Like

How well a hearing aid helps you meet your particular hearing goals is more important than its BT spec.

4 Likes

bluetooth version does not determine features such as bluetooth le audio of the hearing aid but it does determine transfer capability

4 Likes

@rjsmeyer Could you post your audiogram?
That will give people here some understanding of your hearing loss, and they will be able to advise you accordingly.

1 Like

You can find the Bluetooth specification with a search on the Bluetooth.com website

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/Listings/Search

e.g.
Search for Oticon ( or SBO Hearing A/S ) to find related hearing aids and accessories
Oticon More (generation 2020) is bluetooth 5.1
Oticon Real (generation 2022) is bluetooth 5.1 (like the More)

e.g
search for Resound (or GN Hearing A/S ) to look up ReSound hearing aids and related accessories
Resound Quattro (Q) (generation 2018) is bluetooth 5.0
Resound ONE (generation 2020) is bluetooth 5.2
Resound OMINA (generation 2022) is bluetooth 5.3

e.g.
Search for Starkey to look up Starkey and related hearing aids and accessories
Starkey Livio / Livio AI (generation 2018) is bluetooth 5.0
Starkey Evolve AI (generation 2021) is bluetooth 5.2
Starkey Genesis AI (generation 2023) is bluetooth 5.2

9 Likes

Granted, the aids are primarily for improving my hearing, but as a very frequent user of earbuds and headphones, their Bluetooth capability MUST be part of the equation. And for $5k, I don’t think I should expect anything less that the most current technology - in every aspect of the product.

Take a look at what Bluetooth 5 offers over 4 - far greater range, speed, and data transfer - capability for simultaneous connection of multiple devices - lower energy use (which would likely allow Phonak to have longer battery life without disconnecting from the phone app constantly). When I had a BT 4 phone streaming anything, the signal would disapper if I had it in the wrong pocket! And when I’ve trialed the newest Phonak and Signia over the past month, I had the same results.

Bluetooth 5 has been out since 2016. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to be able to buy the most current technology if I’m paying this kind of money.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ve been trying all sorts of searches, and didn’t know about this!

1 Like

Streaming is a hearing goal too.

3 Likes

On the Bluetooth.com website for all Phonak hearing aids (Marvel (2019), Paradise (2020) , Lumity (2022) the bluetooth specification 4.2 is listed.

But keep in mind that only the Phonak/Unitron brand hearing aids from Sonova are connecting to virtually every bluetooth device, without needing an intermediary device for streaming !
Because only the newer Phonak/Unitron hearing aids supporting classic bluetooth.

The hearing aids from other companies (Oticon, ReSound, Starkey, Signia, etc.) connecting not directly to every device, For connection to Windows PC / laptops you will need an intermediary device for Oticon, ReSound, Starkey HA.

4 Likes

Depending on your hearing loss, will determine how much you should depend on the Bluetooth. As for me I have severe hearing loss, I do depend on my Bluetooth connectivity to my phone to be able to hear phone calls. But seeing I am retired and no longer on business calls I am more concerned about my general hearing over my Bluetooth connectivity. If you have a mild to moderate hearing loss then you possibly could have good results with OTC aids, if you have a severe hearing loss like mine then you will need as good of hearing aids with the expert audiologist doing a much better than average fine tuning of your hearing aids.

2 Likes

There’s a bit more to the story than just Bluetooth version. Hearing aids are engineered with a unique “budget”. They must be small, so are limited in battery size, silicon size, and heat dissipation/power consumption. That puts unique strains on their engineering compared to mainstream cell phones and similar devices.

My aids are Oticon. As previously mentioned, they support BT 5.1, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. They are able to connect to my cell phone and are able to connect to Oticon interface devices (Oticon ConnectClip, etc.) but can’t connect directly to a computer or TV without the help of the interface devices. That’s a bit of a hassle, but with the ConnectClip, I’m pretty much open to all Bluetooth uses. I’ve heard that Phonak is the only brand that has more capability without an external interface device.

But as x475aws said, there are huge differences between different brands and models in their core function of helping you hear better. Most of us concentrate our research on that and deal with the Bluetooth issues later.

That said, if your hearing loss is not bad, you may be fine with lower-cost over-the-counter ear buds that meet the latest Bluetooth standards.

Unfortunately, many of us have been frustrated by vendors who only recommend the products that they sell, even if a less-expensive product would meet our needs. If you can find an audiologist affiliated with an ENT or hospital rather than one affiliated with a hearing-aid selling company, they may be able to give you less-biased advice.

5 Likes

Sorry, minor correction: I meant to say: “…you may be fine with lower-cost over-the-counter hearing-assisting ear buds…”

1 Like

Bluetooth capabilities were a major factor in choosing new HAs earlier this year. I am totally satisfied with how my Phonaks handle BT connections- mostly switching between my (Android) phone and a BT emitter linked to my TV. Their ranges are OK. Before walking into another room I mute the TV or pause the connection (tapping) and when back I pick up where I was. I don’t need the app much.

1 Like

Costco, less than $2K

1 Like

Not a techie, but I think BT 5 only impacts high compression audio (as in CD quality vs lower quality). So I’m not sure one NEEDS to have BT 5 for hearing aids to be THE BEST.

I’m super happy with the speech comprehension boost I get with my Phonak Lumity Life aids (on BT 4.2). I hate to sound overly JADED, but if aids are going for $150 I wouldn’t buy them if they had BT 1000 (which I just made up this very second).

Unless you know what you’re getting for that little money and how so-called BT 5 helps you hear better, I’d take a pass on this one FOR SURE.

2 Likes

You’re best approach is knowing what you want to connect to and how you’ll be using Bluetooth. Then go to the HA brands’ websites and check their compatibility.

3 Likes

Agree. Also, only Phonak can pair with multiple devices and connect with 2 at a time. Phonak uses Classic Bluetooth, and the rest of the industry uses either MFI (an Apple low energy proprietary Bluetooth that is low energy) or ASHA (for Android devices). Here is more info: Hearing Aids & Bluetooth (Classic and Low Energy)

1 Like

Here are some thoughts since you’re new to this:

Digital connectivity is important to you. But keep in mind that you’ll be experiencing your physical environment through your aids also. The wrong aids or the right aids set up wrong can make your waking hours miserable.

When it comes to BT, there’s Phonak (classic BT) and everyone else (low-energy BT MFi, where MFI stands for “Made for iPhone”). Phonak gives maximum connectivity without any intermediate device, at the cost of more battery drain. MFi aids work very smoothly with iPhone. The various MFi hearing aid manufacturers sell proprietary accessories that bridge the aids to classic BT sources, and may also provide other functions. Personally, I switched from Android to iPhone when I got my first MFi aids, and I haven’t needed any accessories yet.

Phonak’s current flagship aids are available only with rechargeable batteries. Some of us prefer to stick with the time-proven zinc-air replaceable batteries, which have among the lowest weight-to-capacity and volume-to-capacity ratios of any battery technology, and can last for several days. Others here prefer rechargeables.

Everyone’s hearing is different. The fact that someone here loves their hearing aids is no indication that the same aids would be right for you.

5 Likes

Well, I have the Oticon More1 aids paired to my Samsung S23 and my iPad at the same time, I can stream from either one without even thinking about. I have finally got my aids the way it should be.

1 Like

that’s great. With hearing aids changing so much, I should not opine on what any given brand does! Does Oticon still use MFI Bluetooth?