Bluetooth for hearing aids different?

And Apple will be quick at adapting BT5.2 but I do not see Apple dropping MFI any time soon. Apple may figure out how to adapt 5.2 in with MFI and can see that happening.

2 Likes

Here’s a very good explanation of what’s coming with BT5.2:

1 Like

You’d think so but I couldn’t find it confirmed anywhere. Made those other changes. Thanks

iPhone 11 is BT 5.0. I would surprised if iPhone 12 wasn’t BT 5.1. I’m guessing 1-2 years (September 2021, a year from the release of the iPhone 11) before there will be an iPhone with BT 5.2.

That would be MFI 2. I can’t think of any sane reason why they would do that.

@d_Wooluf Phonak bluetooth has binaural streaming, eg it has a separate stream to each aid. You can see this in the list of connected devices on your phone. Phonak has a paper that says:
"In order to overcome the Bluetooth limitation of being able to stream to one ear only, a dedicated algorithm was developed that extends the Bluetooth capabilities to allow streaming to both ears. "

I’m fairly certain that it’s full duplex - talking and listening, not turn-taking. I talk on the phone several times a day using my Marvels, and either I’m missing some social cues or its operating in duplex mode. The paper above says:
“Bluetooth Classic offers clients the advantage over Bluetooth LE of using the Advanced Audio distribution Profile (A2DP) standard for audio streaming from all Bluetooth devices and supports hands-free phone calls using the standard Hands Free Profile (HFP). In fact, Bluetooth Classic is so widespread that even popular Apple Bluetooth streaming devices like Apple AirPods® utilize it instead of their proprietary solution”

I’m pretty sure Airpods are full duplex for phone calls as well.

Larry

Hi @lylynn

I’m pretty confident on the first one (the stereo streaming), not so confident on the second.

I’m confident on the first because I don’t think there’s any other way it can happen. It’s inherent in the A2DP protocol. The source sends out both channels in the one stream which is decoded by the destination device. In headsets, this is seamless because both sides are connected by some kind of wire. It’s one of the reasons why headphones and physically connected buds have much better battery life. There’s no need for transmission to the other bud.

Btw, my Oticon aids show up in my Android phone. This has nothing to do with audio streaming. That’s a LE connection which is used by the Oticon app to control the aids.

The pdf you linked to includes the following:

Proprietary protocols for connecting to Roger
technology, streaming from the TV Connector and
binaural ear to ear data and audio exchange with
Binaural VoiceStream Technology.

So the facility for one aid to ‘exchange’ audio with the other is there.

As for the second, you may well be right. The Phonaks use the hfp (hands free profile) for calls, which from what I can tell uses a mono input and mono output. So you can’t use the microphone AND have high quality audio but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that they can’t be used at the same time…

I’ll do a bit more Googling and amend my post. If anyone wants to chime in, please do.

Edit: Edited the section on Classic Bluetooth.

Now reads: Phone calls use hfp (hands free profile). The microphone in one of the aids picks up the
user’s voice, enabling hands-free communication.

Perhaps off-topic: I fired-up my ChromeBook while wearing my Marvel. I looked in BlueTooth, nothing. I turned my Android cell-phone full off, now the CBook saw the Marvel but didn’t connect. Remembered that the Marvel is only pair-able right after boot, so rebooted the Marvel. Connected, and CBook popped-up the Volume slider for my possible need. I watched AND heard a pretty nasty YouTube about steel rolling. Beats heck out of the CBook’s tinny speakers. I turned on the cellphone and heard the notification ding. I let both toys rest and acoustic sounds faded back in.

All working well and with least-surprise.

One “surprise”: when the CBook connected it told me “Phonak is available to all users”. Huh?? Who else is using my hearing aid?? :laughing:

1 Like

That’s good to know. The keyboard on my Windows 10 laptop is messed up, so I’m currently using a mini Android tablet with a mini bluetooth keyboard. Except for the size, the overall experience is working well and I’m giving serious thought to switching over to chromebook.

Update–After nearly a month in the repair shop by laptop still isn’t fixed. They said the new keyboard was never delivered. I picked it up and put it away in the closet–maybe I’ll try it again later. For now, I’m using my new Chromebook that was delivered last Wednesday. It’s a bit different even from the Android tablet, but I think it’ll work for what I do these days. The Marvels connect to it quite nicely too–although I haven’t tried it outdoors yet. (While it is extremely lightweight, it’s still a bit too bulky to take on a 5 mile walk.)

After easily pairing my new hearing aids with my iPhone I was hoping I could connect it to my PC laptop too. Unfortunately that will not work. So, on a whim I tried my wife’s Ipad. Voila ! The hearing aids paired with the Ipad flawlessly. I could stream everything, videos, clips, youtube, even TV on the Ipad straight to my hearing aids. I had been wanting a newer computer and wanted an Apple laptop. After pricing them I optioned to get an Ipad instead. So far I am quite happy with it.

What model iPad did you get?

I got the cheaper one, less than $300 online through Walmart, a 10.2", 32gb. It is much faster than my PC laptop. I found an app so I can d/l books for free from Amazon Prime and other sources. So far I am really enjoying the Ipad. I should have bought one earlier.

Sounds great! I’ve been strictly Microsoft until just recently. I wanted to have access to full size piano scores for sight reading on my piano, so I purchased Apple’s iPad Pro 12.9 with 1TB of storage. It’s the largest iPad and is the same size as a sheet of music. I use it with a Bluetooth foot pedal, PageFlip Firefly Bluetooth/USB Page Turner Pedal, to turn pages for me. All my music is now stored on my iPad using the Henle Library app and I can turn pages “hands free” as I play! You gotta love technology!

I can also now report that my Marvels are paired with both my Microsoft Windows 10 PC and my Apple iPad Pro 12.9!

4 Likes

You might want to explore the Libby app. It allows you to “check out” books from your local library, which you can then read on your iPad. I just set my technophobic spouse up with Libby on her iPhone and she’s become an ebook reading demon. Yeah, dead-tree books are fun, but when the library is closed, a good ebook beats all hell out of Tiger King any day. :wink:

2 Likes

If you are an Amazon Kindle app and device user as I am, you will also find hundreds of free books available on the Amazon site. All the classics and books out of copyright are readily available for free.

1 Like

I generally get my “out of copyright” books off one of the Gutenberg sites. I don’t trust the editions on Amazon. Amazon merely poaches something from the Gutenberg sites, but never bothers updating things as errors appear. I learned my lesson when my Amazon version of The Mayor of Casterbridge was missing some dozen or more pages about halfway through chapter 20. It was very disorienting.

But you’re right, the Kindle app is also another viable way to read ebooks on one’s phone or tablet (I’m primarily a Kindle reader, however.). The nice thing about Libby is that one can get recent things without having to “buy” them from Amazon.

As for free things, the Gutenberg sites have a much larger collection than does Amazon. For example, I have a complete collection of the Raymond Chandler books from a Gutenberg site. You have to pay for them all on Amazon, albeit not all that much.

The only problem with using library apps in the Atlanta area is the waiting list for popular books. Libraries are given a limited number of concurrent electronic “copies” by publishers. The wait can sometimes be many weeks long.

If I’m not mistaken, Kindle should still display one of the Gutenberg file formats. At least it used to. That way you can still keep and read all your books on your Kindle or with a Kindle app.

Kindle reader apps are available for free on both the Android and Apple app stores. No matter where I am, waiting in a line or in a doctor’s waiting room, all my books are immediately available to read on my phone, on my Android, Microsoft or Apple tablets, and of course on my Kindle Oasis.

I love my Kindle app on my iPhone. It’s my lifeline.

1 Like

Thank you all for the informative replies. I learn something new every day with this IPad. I will look into the library apps also. Something I just noticed. If I have my HA’s paired with my iPhone all is well. If I make a call or a call comes it the sound streams directly too my HA’s and the sound is remarkable. All is well, until I turn on my iPad, then my HA’s beep and the pairing switches to my iPad automatically. I am assuming it has a stronger BLE signal than the iPhone. I can manually change the settings in the iPad but so far it’s really not a bother.
Cheers, Walt

1 Like

Was thinking further about Bluetooth 5.2 and LC3 Codec. When hearing aids and smartphones that support both are finally out, we’ll still need a way to connect to whatever other devices we have, so until we get all new devices that support the new format, we’ll still need some sort of intermediary device. Phonak’s use of standard bluetooth will have the advantage of being backwards compatible. Will be interesting to see how it’s handled. Resound One appears to have potential to be compatible and is Made for iPhone. I wonder if other manufacturers will try to include two standards?

1 Like