BlueTooth capable hearing aids - a question and request for advice

Just looked it up and Phonak also uses 2.4 GHz wireless
technology for their TV Streamer, not bt

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a type of bluetooth with their own respective frequency they call airstream says the FCC

Right now I’m using (and paired + connected to) a Samsung Flip-4 cell phone. Works like a D R E A M!

1 Like

It isn’t bt. You don’t pair. It isn’t point to point. A single source can provide audio to an unlimited number of HAs. Any HAs within range of the streamer when the button is pushed get looped in, and there is no action taken on the HA wearer’s part necessary. To pair in BT, the aids need to be reset, either by turning off & on or taking battery out and putting it back in. (Rechargeable vs disposable.)

WH

3 Likes

Yeah that’s right, no point to point but a handshake of sorts but all I’m saying is its a bluetooth “frequency” somewhere between 2.402 GHz to 2.48 GHz going by what the FCC is saying.
In the HAs they have a separate radio chip or module specifically for the TV connector? I was thinking they possibly just piggyback off the bluetooth chip?

I agree. WiFi also runs at 2.4Ghz and we know its not BT, same with 2.4Ghz wireless protocol…

1 Like

It probably does piggyback off the sword ship.

There are MANY devices which use the unlicensed 2.4 GHz ISM band. (ISM stands for Industrial, Scientific, and medical) Examples are Wifi, BT, Zigbee, Microwave ovens, many cordless phones, and the list goes on. I think the phonak hearing aids also talk to each other across this frequency. HA fitting is also conducted at this frequency range, and but I think that is Bluetooth LE. It would be nice if it were much easier to get involved than having to buy a Noahlink wireless.

There are a great many proprietary uses of this band. It is fairly convenient and there is a lot of support for doing design work there where the basics have already been laid out for the designer.

Wiki page on ISM bands

WIki page on 2.4 GHz band

I guess I’m a bit more precise in my language as an electrical engineer. Saying something uses bluetooth to me raises expectations of what it can or can’t perform.

I saw a spec for airstream recently that went into the transmitted audio frequency ranges & etc, but can’t find it now. Maybe someone else has one handy.

WH

4 Likes

Got it, I think I understand what you’re saying.

Cheers

2 Likes

Starkey says the same thing. Seems like they like to imply some proprietary 2.4ghz network, but it looks like bluetooth. I suppose the HA could do both.

Another reference, besides the FCC, is Launch Studio - Listing Search

WOW, I got so many useful replies. NOW the conversation has gotten very technical.

For the record, when I first got these Phonak Brio 3 HAs and TRIED and FAILED to pair them with a standard Bluetooth transmitter that I use with my SONY BT headphones, I called Phonak. The parent company does NOT like to provide SUPPORT to users. They only want to deal with Audiologists and licensed HA providers. Reluctantly, they explained that the HAs use something other than Bluetooth. Whatever technical explanation was given went way over MY head. I am a Pharmacist, by training, and at home with chemistry. I do NOT do well with electronics.

2 Likes

Looks like the Brio 4 have BT 4.2, couldn’t find a listing for the Brio 3. Could be Industrial, Scientific, Medical band (ISM) as @WhiteHat suggested above.

1 Like

Besides latency, the other main issue with BT streaming is power consumption. I can use my TV streamer all day with almost no more battery dainage than normal. If I BT stream from my phone, my aid’s battery usage increases greatly

2 Likes

I have Resound One aids and have called support numerous times. They are always very willing to help users overnthe phone during business hours. I usually get through pretty quick too. Just FYI…

1 Like

Brio 3 product info

Probably the same as the other phonak devices discussed. They use the same type of chip. (sword.)

WH

I think the purpose of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is to solve the power problem. BLE has been around for a while, but I think the BT 5.3 and higher made the difference for HA manufacturers and how they could implement BT.

At some point BLE did not have enough bandwidth for audio. BLE 5.3 has 2 mbps, enough for audio.

1 Like

My take is that Bluetooth is inherently glitchy. Even though Phonaks use Classic BT 4.2, they often work rather randomly: working fine with some computer’s Bluetooth and not with others. Sometimes a cheap BT dongle will work–sometimes not. I’m guessing it’s driver (software) related but have no idea. I do think if one is buying a hearing aid or device that one wants to connect to a hearing aid that is “mission critical,” that it’s wise to make sure it works before fully committing.

2 Likes

In version 2, but not in version 1. Sorry for the late reply. I’ve used a smart plug to solve the issue.

Better late than never. The new Phonaks with Bluetooth Classic connect direct to LG TV and there’s no lag enough to notice lip sync issues. I have done this, it works fine.

THANKS for the info. Since writing the question, my right Phonak died (it was 6+ years old). Costco is no longer selling Phonak and I am reluctant to buy directly from them although they ARE, now, selling directly to the public. because of my previous poor experience with their support AND the knowledge that their app sucks.

As I write this, I am awaiting Fedex delivery of Lexie B2, Bose, OTC HAs. I am HOPING that I like them. I am fairly certain I have the knowledge to configure them IF the app works well. My AUDIOLOGIST, at Kaiser-Permanente, told me that GOOD OTC HAs should be suitable for my hearing loss.

IF they are not suitable, I will buy whatever Jabra by Resound is now sold by Costco.

1 Like

My Phonaks Audeo work great with an oldish TV whose headphone out is linked with a dual antenna BT receiver/transmitter device- these cost about 20 USD in China. I have a second BT device in parallel that connects to speakers (for my wife). Sadly, there is a horrible echo between these, so the sound of the latter is delayed 100 ms with a 70 USD Lindy lipsync device. I considered a TV-streamer, but these are quite expensive and I may then still need to manage delays.