Bleeding Ear?

Yesterday afternoon I did some work outside and felt that my ears were damp. I removed my HA’s, and cleaned/dried my (right) ear canal with a cotton bud. I have always done this (and possibly as a result both of my ear canals often itch).

After a short while it felt as if my ear was full of fluid. It was blood. Not a scratch worth, a flow as if I had a bloody nose. So I removed my HA’s and packed my right ear with cotton.

Over the course of the evening I would occasionally check and it seemed that whenever I removed the cotton it was bloody but not totally saturated and a cotton bud would show fresh blood.

I should say that I’m taking Plavix and losartan following having a heart stent and stroke. The Plavix is an anti-clotting agent and the losartan is for hypertension/high BP. I suspect they are contributing to the continual bleeding.

I don’t believe that my use of a cotton bud yesterday was any more aggressive than I’ve been in the past however I have been inserting/removing my HA’s with an 8mm dome for the past 2.5 weeks.

I’m wondering if any of you have had a bleeding ear? I have an appointment this afternoon with my audi but I’m wondering if I should see my GP or an ENT?

Thoughts?

Thanks! - Gary

Aside from the blood thinner Plavix, think about any other OTC/over-the-counter blood thinning NSAIDs that you may be using for pain and also alcohol because that too is a blood thinner.

Instead, use acetaminophen for pain and also reduce drinking alcohol if that applies.

You should go see a Dr. Why would you even ask this on a forum. You need the see a Dr especially since you mentioned a heart Stent and blood thinner

5 Likes

I simply wanted to know if anyone else had ever had a situation like I had. I just have a scratch. It was looked at this afternoon. No further comments req’d. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You specifically said, not a scratch, a flow. If it’s just a scratch because you’re ears itch than there is a product that I buy online called miracell. It normally gets put on the hearing aid. But it also helps repair the ear . So you can dab some on the ear prior to going to sleep . Be careful. Blood thinners can make mountains out of molehills

I believe that is what happened. I don’t know how long/deep the scratch is but the amount of blood flow seemed to fill up my ear very quickly and the blood flowed for quite a while. I suspect that each time I removed the cotton to see how things were going I broke whatever clotting had happened between my ear and the cotton and it just started all over again.

Today I got a half ounce of EARGENE that I suspect is similar to Miracell.

Apparently the alcohol that I’ve been using to dry my (usually) moist ear canal exacerbates the itch.

Well don’t be surprised when you start seeing bruises, mainly on your arms. Another wonderful side effect of blood thinners

When was the last time you had a blood test to see if your blood is too thin? (INR)
When you mentioned a “flow of blood” that’s concerning as you said you had no injury to your ear.
Have you been following the diet you are meant to be on? And not eating Vit K rich foods? These are some of the Vit K foods you are meant to eat in minimal amounts.

• Asparagus.
  • Broccoli.
  • Brussels sprouts.
  • Cauliflower.
  • Green onions.
  • Kale.
  • Parsley.
  • Spinach.
  • Lettuce
    You need to see your GP as your dosage of Plavix might need to be adjusted to a slightly lower dose.

I’ve been seeing bruising since the stent.

February with my GP and I’m seeing my cardiologist in a month (whom I’ve been seeing every 6 months).

I didn’t “injure” my ear - I either scratched the inside with a Q-tip or by inserting my HA incorrectly. I had been using alcohol to clean/dry my ears which in turn exacerbated the itching. I’m pretty sure everything is fine.

Remember, he had a stent put in and now he’s on blood thinner. I’ve been down this road. You’ll probably be on the thinner for about two years. Plus the alcohol to clean the ears. With time it will get better. He also should have blood work done now probably every 6 months to a year. All routine

For the itching I use a small amount of hydrocortisone 1% on the ear-molds before I insert them… other times I coat the ear-mold with Lansinon … HPA Lanolin (it is used by nursing mother), which eases the insertion and prevents dryness and or itching of the ear canal.

2 Likes