Black Ear Drums

Does this image show.
Almost 2 years ago shooting range injury caused severe hearing loss both ears. Have ReSound aids.
Recent went to Audi and he said too much wax to do test. I’ve been using drops to get rid of wax.
Have home viewer and ear canals seem very clean but ear drums 75% black.
Is this built up wax or something else.
Thanks
David
Second ear image attempt to upload below…….

That could be impacted wax or signs of trauma to the ear canal but not one hundred percent sure you should probably get it checked out

2 Likes

That looks like bleeding behind the eardrum. You definitely have to see a good ENT doctor immediately

4 Likes

Looks bruised to me .
Need to see an ENT.

2 Likes

I’m surprised your Audi didn’t clean them himself. At the same time you go to a range and don’t properly protect your ears and then you try to clean your ears yourself possibly causing more damage. Go to an ENT and get everything done professionally. You almost sound like you’re your own worse enemy. PS. Don’t use q tips to clean your ears

I’d go back to your audi and see what they say. I don’t think anybody commenting really has much experience looking at eardrums (apologies if I’m mistaken) If you’re not having new symptoms, I don’t think there’s any urgency.

2 Likes

For heaven’s sake go to an ENT. an audi isn’t a doctor.

4 Likes

I am not an ENT and I have no experience except with my own ears.
I would say yours are extremely clean compared to mine.The eardrums look normal. The fact that they look so black could also be due to the lighting. I’m sure it’s not earwax. Anyway, mine look about the same, also dark. In the second picture, the ear canal seems slightly reddish, possibly inflamed?
Anyway, if you are unsure you should better go to an ENT.
By the way: Very nice pictures. Better quality than I can do with my otoscope.

2 Likes

MDB and sterei could be right. A shadow combined with the fact that the eardrum is partially transparent can mean it’s a bit alarming to see at first. Take your tool to an ENT for an exam.

3 Likes

Taking internet medical advice is not a good idea. Go to an ENT now.

2 Likes

FFS.

Both normal, ignore everyone else.

Possibly slightly retracted, but you can usually equalise/clear that yourself.

Also note slight Exostoses on both, near the drum.

7 Likes

As has been said. Don’t take medical advice on line. Go see someone

3 Likes

talerco.
Could you post the make and model of the scope you’re using?
I have been thinking about buying one.
Thank

@Flatfish
I found it in bottom left corner of the picture: Bebird R1

Thanks, Found it not even expensive .

1 Like

Yes - It was about $16 on Amazon. I’m pretty impressed. Works great.

2 Likes

All I can say Thank you talerco for your post. Got and used the bebird and immediately made a appointment for this coming Monday with a new to me ENT, hope I picked a competent one. No wonder my hearing turned bad.
If you google images of Eardrums it’s educational
By the way you did an excellent job getting rid of wax.

2 Likes