Best phonak self fitting for severe to profound loss

Hi everyone,

I recently switched from Oticon Xceed UP to Phonak Naida Lumity UP 90 due to severe to profound hearing loss. It’s been a week since I started using Phonak, and I’m facing some challenges with the sound, particularly the speech, which seems soft, lacking a powerful boost.

In my initial experience, I struggle to hear someone speaking even within 3 feet of me. To address this, I purchased a Noahlink programming tool to adjust and address the issue. I configured it for the first time using a fitting formula ADP 2.0, as indicated in the attached pictures showcasing my audiogram and fine-tuning for gain/MPO.

However, even after these adjustments, I find that the clarity of speech during calls is not satisfactory. I’m reaching out for assistance and have a couple of specific questions:

1. What fitting formula would be best suited for my case, considering the severe-to-profound hearing loss?
  2. How can I enhance speech clarity and overall speech sound in the Phonak Naida Lumity using Target?

It’s important to note that I’m not a candidate for cochlear implants (cochlear hypoplasia). Your insights and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 Like

Really you need to find this out yourself, I’d try both NAL (1 or 2) and DSL adult to begin with, could be just a matter of more or less compression.

What acoustics did you fit and also what experience level did you enter?

1 Like

I look at it as you have no response above 2000k so I would lower that area some…you are beating a dead horse trying to amplify those frequencies so you can hear it…NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I believe it only adds to the problem you are facing.
But I am only a fellow DIY’r as you. Take it with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed this part you mentioned, so that’s in the Bluetooth or the phone speaker? you can adjust for Bluetooth calls in fine-tuning.
As your audiogram shows you do still have some hearing at those higher frequencies, I’ve seen worse with very satisfying results, so don’t let others say otherwise, I’ll tag a couple of severe profound users who have had success who may help you along.
Also the SoundRecover could be reset to try and help as well, I believe you get a choice of SR 1 or 2?

@kevels55
@Zebras

1 Like

As the case as I am still learning ,please enlighten me as how you feel the OP still has usable hearing in the higher frequencies. I was led to believe that no response as his hearing test pointed out meant that those are dead areas can’t be addressed with aids. Obviously I am wrong then?

There is a lot of trial & error when getting used to Target software @mehdisouid94… As @tenkan suggested, try the various fitting formulas, personally I didn’t like NAL NL2, at first, but I persisted with it, and after a month or so, I acclimated, subsequently it is now the only one I will use… Lots of things, have to be factored into Target, the type of moulds you use, the size of vents in these moulds, if any? I have absolutely no vents whatsoever… Some folks can’t suffer the occlusion, without vents, I just learned to live without them… I see you are using AudiogramDirect, feedback management, must be run last, compression/sound recover should be switched on…Nowadays, I rarely if ever touch Target, simply because my Audiologist plays Target software like some grand piano, and she is lightning quick at making adjustments on the fly, her first fit was my last fit, no further adjustments where required, it is approximately 2 years, since I last used Target, and apart from periodically updating Target, and saving my Audiologists settings, that’s it… My advice would be, play around with Target until you get a reasonable fitting, run feedback management, then save that fitting, open up a new session, tweak a little more, if its an improvement, run feedback management, and save again, close and open a new session, each time you open up, take the fitting from your aids, as the new starting point, at any point if you go drastically wrong, you can revert back to the previous saved settings on the computer, and start again, save each session as you go along, that’s how I did it… BTW, your tubing matters, I use twin walled or extra thick tubing, it probably gives me around another 5db of gain… Good Luck, cheers Kev :smile:

2 Likes

Just looking at the AD, I went by that, so I always like to keep some hope for people.

@kevels55 good points all round, especially the twin wall tube, anything that can give some extra boost is going to help.

1 Like

I’m extremely happy with NAL 1 compared to all other fitting formulas. Other seem to like NAL 2.

I find NAL 1 gives me the best Bluetooth sound as well compared to other fitting formulas.

2 Likes

I believe I need to switch to the NAL 1 or NAL2 fitting formula… the sound is completely different.

I will try it and see.

I have custom closed domes with a thick tube (no vent). I’m using a Bluetooth call streaming connection.

I’m testing ADP2 with the maximum gain possible

If anyone has a similar hearing loss and is using same hearing aids level( UP), please provide assistance with this.

1 Like