Best hearing aids for hands free phone calls with Androids?

Asus, and Xiaomi also support ASHA. I have an Asus ZenFone 9, which I picked specifically for my HAs, after some testing, and it’s working great.

I actually unlocked and flashed one of my older Motos to enable ASHA and it somewhat worked, streaming was fine, but volume was broken and it didn’t work during calls.
From what I seen, modders rarely will implement this properly, because it benefits very few. With the rare exception being when they need it too and make it for themselves.

I believe the reason I have been successful is not because of my brand of phone, it’s because my Phonak aids only rely on bluetooth, and will connect to just about any bluetooth device.

Hey, hanging out on XDA too? I’ve found app based tinnitus treating streaming the most versatile and effective, that’s my main need to solve BT with Android.

I’m on the fence if it’s worth going over to the Appleverse for, headset/handsfree just aren’t draws. I’d even switch providers for the Zenphone solution as Moto are being very inconsistent. Are the Zenphones as unbloatware as the Moto, just a slim custom launcher/UI ?

Oh yeah, for sure! The thread veered towards ASHA tribulations :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

All models with any BT could include headset/hands-free support, but manufacturers aren’t doing so for some reason. Being able to connect to anything with Phonak is so liberating, and a reasonable expectation in 2023.

1 Like

I was thinking about going the iPhone way and just couldn’t, I’m too used to Androverse and in my country that would be a hindrance.
Zenfones are bloatware free, with few tweaks, but there’s option to turn them off too, to have full stock experience.
Also ZPs are some of the last remaining small phones on the market.

One reason for going the Apple way is being able to connect to their newer laptops soon (with MFi). So if you have one of their lappies I wouldn’t think twice and buy an iPhone

1 Like

Phonak is using an old Bluetooth version to make it possible, which isn’t as energy efficient as the one ASHA or MFi uses.
Eventually they’ll all switch to newest one for LE Audio, but until then I’m not upgrading or changing my HAs

3 Likes

Yes, they being smallish is the reason why I just bought a Zenfone (8, refurbished, 265 gig). Works like a charm with my Phonaks Audéo P90Rs.

2 Likes

For me the Phonak/Android connection for phone calls is so great, I’m unwilling to give it up. If things are still the same when I need to replace my KS-9s (equivalent of Marvels), I’ll have to scrape up what Phonak aids cost as opposed to going with Costco again, although my hope is by the time I need new aids Costco will have choices for Android users. I’m not willing to hand myself over to the Apple world. My first aids required an intermediate device. I hated it and never wore it, so I’d get a phone call, could barely hear and would be saying, “I’ll call you right back,” and hurrying to get the damn device connected and working so I could call back. The effortless connection I have now is just plain wonderful. I’ve had people mention they can hear things around me in the background, but it’s never been a problem. Dogs fussing, separate them. Wind, go inside or put on headband. I don’t do phone calls in the car while driving. Road noise might be a problem if I did.

I almost wish I’d kept the KS-10s I trialed just because they were newer, but I turned them back in because they didn’t help me hear any better.

1 Like

You might have a look at the Google Pixel phones. Pure Android, monthly security and bug fixes, and new features drop every quarter.

I am using a Pixle 4a5g, and love it! Also it’s shirt pocket friendly.

2 Likes

When hearing-impaired, stay away from iPhones. They don’t even give you a customizable equalizer, there are only presets, and only for music. Androids offer far, far more sound flexibility including volume boosts, a trusted 3.5 headphone connection, and better pricing options.

Incoming :boom: you’ll be hard pressed to find agreement there!

Methinks that you are misinformed.

As an Android user, claiming iphone is worst because it does not have an equalizer is nonsense … You don’t want to control input volume of frequency bands, the hearing aid auto corrects and try to revert the change and end up messing it up . Use the built in equalizer in the hearing aid app.

3 Likes

While I just moved from the iPhone to the Samsung S23 and have found that the S23 is better for me because I find that calls are clearer and louder and I have found that connectivity to the phone is better but not so much so to the companion app. While I am very happy with the S23 there are features that I am still missing. But hands free isn’t one of them. I never found hands free to be that great because the person on the other end of the call was always complaining about not understanding me. Also I have found that when needed the connect clip is working great with my More1 aids and the S23. But it never did with iPhones.

Except if you also listen to your iPhone with headphones, ofc, to, say, podcasts, like when you engage in sweaty activities… If you look at Apple’s ‘supervised’ app store you will find a zillion ‘equalizer’ apps- and none of those work, as Apple does not allow developers to tweak this. Having both an iPad and an Android phone, I find the latter far more flexible (and louder!), audio-wise. But I understand people are happy in Apple’s walled garden…

1 Like

KS10 aids and inexpensive Samsung Galaxy J2 phone (Tracfone)…absolutely perfect hands free pair of devices.
It is the only way I can have a phone conversation.

:thinking:

(at least 20 characters)

Some like my wife and sister just want to power on the device and use it without having to think about all of the adjustments.
And to be honest after being an IT professional, now retired, I don’t want to deal with it anymore.

1 Like

I was looking at Zen and Pixel for their light install, leaving Motorola as it’s been over two years since my last update. Leaning towards the Pixel, for the flexibility of Verizon’s network.

I suggest buying it unlocked for all bands directly from Google, bestbuy or someone not directly connected to a carrier knowing you can change carriers anytime.

2 Likes