Best Hearing Aid Manufacturer?

I’m not sure if this has already been discussed or not?

I’m wondering about the best hearing aid manufacturer? I require a pair of Behind the Ear (BTE) hearing aids with optimal/ high power. Can you recommend which hearing aid manufacturer is better for this type of hearing aid. Also I’m looking for a manufacturer that will allow me to use my custom ear molds - that fit to my ears. I’m aware of the following manufacturers:

•Starkey
•Widex
•Oticon/Bernafon
•Phonak/Unitron
•Resound
•Siemens

I’m sure that there are many others. I’m in Canada. My hearing aids from Resound recently went dead after being 2.5 years old and they were turned up to the highest level of volume/ power without any feedback. I’m just wondering which hearing aid manufacturer makes the better product?

For example:
What’s the differences between StarKey’s BTE S Series IQ vs. Widex’s CLEAR440 C4-9?

I have a personal favorite, based on years of fitting experience. But equally I could find you ten hearing professionals with the same years in the profession who had different conclusions.

The Starkey S Series IQ is just about obsolete at this time. If you are considering a high power aid, look at the X Series Power Plus:

http://starkeypro.com/public/professionals/products/hearing-aids/x-series/power-plus-bte.jsp

It is class leading in the following areas:

• Feedback cancellation; reduced feedback, more added stable gain, less distortion, no entrainment. In other words, the considerable power it has, is more accessible.

• Water and oil resistant.

• The most advanced frequency transposition system in the world.

• Clinically proven to reduce listening effort (I’ve yet to see anyone else attempt to make that claim).

• The most amazing speech in noise background noise suppression system.

There are other options for power aids, but this really does combine a large chunk of Starkey know how into one specific power aid.

Of course all that only means anything on paper and in the lab. You’d have to test drive a few and see what you like.

This particular version of the power aid has only been around about nine weeks. But those patients who I have had listen to it, have done great. All except a really difficult otosclorosis case I was dealing with. But the issue there was that I was trying to test her with disposible test tips, not custom molds. Her otosclorosis was causing the ear drum to be too stiff and causing me feedback issues.

You can get the Resounds repaired for under $200 (probably). Those are all good brands.

Good points by Don. Your HAs are not that old in terms of technology and Resounds are very good HAs. So you can get them fixed for $2-300. That said, I had more repair problems with Resound than any other brand. The Starkeys I trialed broke down during the trial and I have heard that story a couple of other times here. They have some good products but maybe had some roll out QA problems.

I review 4 top end hearing aids in another thread.

BTW, ZCT is a Starkey distributor who, as opposed to wearers or most Audies, has a pecuniary interest in people buying Starkey HAs.

Ford vs chevy vs honda vs toyota vs nissan vs …

Ford mechanic won’t do a good job fixing a Nissan.

General mechanic won’t be as good as a factory trained mechanic working on the car they were trained on.

It is the people that matter. The more complex the software and technology, specializing in a brand or a few select brands will make for happier customers.

Going to someone that is very good with Phonaks with a Starkey can be a bit counter productive if one expects total satisfaction.

I would go to ZCT for starkeys in a heartbeat.

GREAT POINT!

dr.amy

It is the people that matter.

Exactly.

We seem to see a lot of posters here who think that they can bypass the (evil?) audis/dispensers and choose the ‘best’ aid by roaming the web.

I don’t know if this is a general ‘can do’ self-help American attitude or if it is mainly a ‘techie’ attitude, irrespective of nationality.

In reality there is NO ‘best’ aid and no ‘best’ way of fitting and no ‘best’ technology.

If there WERE a 110% optimum solution don’t you think that we would have noticed?

Well, we haven’t. We still have a wide range of brands and technologies because there is no one single perfect solution.

Fitting a hearing aid which works well, and which meets the client’s requirements is a ‘ballet’ between client & dispenser … not an instant purchase.

I believe you hit the nail on the head regarding cultural issues impinging on the different markets when comparing North America versus Europe.

North Americans typically develop self reliance in large part due to geographical distances between cities and resources. If one can’t fix it and nobody is around to repair it, you are screwed. Being independent and resourceful carries more weight than following rules and procedures.

Purchasing an item and making it “better” by customizing it is more desirable even while recognizing those modifications are detrimental to the inherent value for resale. American television is rife with home improvement shows on one hand and another show is focused on exposing incompetent repairs made by unqualified people destroying what little value added the modification made to the property.

A well traveled friend once made this comment about the difference he noticed between Europeans and Americans. A European has no problem mentioning how much they earn, yet they are reticient about their techniques and how they do stuff. The American will not admit what they earn, yet have no issues in showing others how they do or make something.

The internet is changing the way all cultures react to information. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad or incomplete information out there. There is also a lot of people that don’t understand the information and make decisions based on that limited understanding.

Hi browne2012

Bottom line… Forget the hype! Far too many people out there seem to imagine that hearing aids can somehow magic back their hearing, tis all BS! “All Hearing Aids” do exactly what it says on the tin, they aid you to better hearing and they will never restore your hearing!

All/most of these manufacturers make excellent aids;
•Starkey
•Widex
•Oticon/Bernafon
•Phonak/Unitron
•Resound
•Siemens

The question is or should be, which manufacturers aids suit you or sound best to your individual hearing loss, because you are totally unique and no two people will have the same loss, they can be very similar, but never the exact same, your audiogram is a bit like a fingerprint…

If you are looking for a power aid, then Phonak or Starkey are most probs your best bet, but then again Oticon are also excellent in that department! As for Resound, I don’t rate their HA’s at all and over the years I have had a few, trialled some as well and they were nearly always a big disappointment! But, that is only my opinion and some people love them! You will honestly not know until you try another manufacturer out?

Finding a good audiologist or dispenser is a whole different ball game, the good ones are kinda thin on the ground, especially if you live out in the sticks like me… I like Phonak, but that is my choice and I could not find a local audi/dispenser that could fit the Ambra’s properly, so I ended up buying a set and fitting them myself:D

Good Luck, cheers Kev

No Lucy!

Phonak along with many of the other manufacturers try to place as many obstacles in your way to prevent you from programming your own hearing aids, these are high end aids, in fact you could buy a half decent second hand car with their retail price… That being said, there are ways and means to circumvent their embargo:D

You need some computer savvy, a HI-Pro USB (around $700 2nd hand) plus programming cables for your particular hearing aid brand (around $150) or an iCube (around $600) this will only work with Phonak aids, it works via wireless or USB. You cannot just buy a HI-Pro or iCube, they are only supposed to be sold to audiologists or dispensers, but they do come up for sale now and then on eBay with no questions asked or you buy from the Chinese eBay sellers? Lastly you would need the software, in Phonak’s case, this would be Target 2.0, this can be acquired if you know whom to ask as it can be difficult to come by;)

There are hearing aid company’s who do sell programmable HA’s in the states and I’m sure almost sure elsewhere, but they are not premium high end aids and these would most likely be fine for you, if you have a mild/moderate hearing loss? But, if you are in the severe/profound threshold, then you may require a premium aid?

I hope this helps:D

Cheers Kev.

Phonak along with many of the other manufacturers try to place as many obstacles in your way to prevent you from programming your own hearing aids,

A bit of an exaggeration methinks.

The manufacturers have insurance / legal liability / support issues with regard to end-users programming hearing aids.

Active support of self-programming would incur major costs for the manufacturers … in return for a tiny number of additional sales.

It’s not a plot or embargo or conspiracy - simply a mundane, boring business decision.

Cant see the exaggeration ED? I never mentioned any conspiracy… Well not this time lol:D And you would be surprised how many people whom want to be in control of their own bought and paid for aids… according to the enquirers I get; where to source Target?:wink:

Furthermore, any of these manufacturers could quite easily state prior to any download or installation of any said software, you have to tick a waver to validate the install, maybe something along the lines of; Any non-professional using this software, do so at their own risk! No support whatsoever will be given! And that should about cover it… Simples:D

Lastly, Target is the most easy to work with software I have ever used! There are some rules and you must stick to a certain sequence, but apart from that, all you need to get you going is an iCube and your audiogram, any mistakes can be undone with a fresh reprogram… How some of the trained pro’s cant get to grips with it is beyond me!

Cheers Kev:D

Degree of loss does not determine the level of technology you need.

dr.amy

Hi Dr. Amy

I am well aware of the above statement and I was speaking in general terms:D

Generally as a rule of thumb, if your hearing loss is not too complicated, then your lifestyle and the level of loss determines the technology required! Although this is ultimately governed buy the depth of your pockets as premium aids command premier prices! I think most audiologists would tend to agree that the severe/profound threshold is likely to be the most difficult to fit… There will be however exceptions to that rule.

Cheers Kev.

No.

Not even slightly. People who have the worst losses get the most from hearing aids and are most likely to use them. It’s the marginal losses that cause the biggest issues, the cost/benefit analysis becomes very skewed.

I am one of those who supports using and paying the audiologist. That said, my personal experience is that the audiologists actually do less these days. I have a severe/profound loss. I also have wax and small canals - the wrong kind of ears for a hearing loss. :frowning: In years past, the audies had to spend a lot of time with me adjusting the aids to get rid of feedback and occlusion.

Today, the manufacturers seem to be able set them almost 100%. I just trialed 4 HAs with 2 good audiologists. They each did one tweak. That was it. When spice + came out, the audie tweaked it again. Thus, while audies are still important and needed, the need may just be slightly less these days. Just my opinion…

My sentiments exactly…

dr.amy

Lalo, no offense, but I’d rather you didn’t post defamatory comments about me on this forum.

I am a trainer and consultant for a large national company. I don’t get a dime if someone buys Starkey aids. Further, there is nothing in it for me to recommend them on this forum. In fact there is nothing in it for me to even be on this forum.

So I kind of find it offensive that when I share my lengthy professional experience on this board, there are some people who are so jaded and cynical that they assume that Starkey pays me to swing by and talk up their products in exchange for some kind of kick back.

I have fitted just about every major brand of hearing aid there is. I have found Starkey to be innovative, impressive, and have great service if one runs into problems. I have found that by specializing in their products, I can be more effective at helping my patients.

As to your other point, a hearing aid wearer can merely tell you how they did with a specific brand and model of aid. Almost useless information by itself, since no two hearing losses or patients are the same. Hearing aid use is so subjective and involves so many variables you’d need to collect data from thousands of patients to get any kind of statistically meaningful pattern. And even then, no guarantee that YOU will be helped by the same kind of device.

And finally, I’d like to see some evidence of your point that MOST audiologists are completely independent. Because I’d say you just made that up. Many audiologists are exclusive to one product, either by employment, or by choice. There simply isn’t any rule that says that audiologists stock five or ten brands of hearing aid or even two. And the more they do stock, the less likely they are to understand the nuance of how to program each one.

I myself attend numerous training courses so I can be up to speed on Starkey products. If I were to also do this for three other manufacturers, I’d only work about six months out of the year! I’d be in class the whole time.

Keep in mind too that your friendly independent audiologist that you seem so enamored with, is not only less of an expert at each of the brands, but he is also paying a higher wholesale price for them, which he or she is likely to be passing on to the consumer.

Thanks, I appreciate that :slight_smile:

A sales pitch perhaps Um bongo, tis not like you Audi’s to preach to the majority:rolleyes:

So what are you saying then Steve? That someone the likes of me should be buying an entry level set of HA’s… Whilst others whom have a more moderate loss should buy premium? From personal experience via 20 years plus of actually using hearing aids as opposed to theory, fitting and the ubiquitous sales pitch:( entry level sucks for anyone whom has a severe/profound loss and believe me I have had plenty of these over the years via the NHS…

I agree, that those within the marginal thresholds perhaps have a choice between cost and benefit? But IMHO, any improvement they get will be to say the very least marginal and I reiterate, entry level may suffice as any gains incurred will be vastly overwhelmed by the sheer costs involved! Others like myself do not have this luxury of choice and the only way for us (Severe/Profound) to function in a hearing world is to bite the bullet and pay the “Pied Pipers Price”!!! And Yes, we are the most likely to use HA’s, but there could be some severe or even profound reasoning behind that…:rolleyes:

Cheers Kev;)