Best and worst HA-friendly vehicles

I have a LOT of trouble, whatever the program setting, with understanding speech with my ReSound Quattros while I’m in the car. I likely will buy a new car in the spring. Would you care to nominate your best (or discuss your worst) vehicles in terms of acoustics that work with hearing aids? Winters are snowy and icy where I live, so I’d prefer all-wheel drive. I will “nominate” my 2015 Subaru Forester as…poor, (But then I don’t have anything to compare it with because our other car is a 2012 Forester).

If it’s within your finances, “luxury” vehicles tend to be quieter. Perhaps a Lexus? If too pricy. Maybe something like a Toyota Highlander?

Maybe you should seek to understand what your hearing aids are doing for you (or doing to you) while driving in a car. I posted this about Oticon Opn’s (in another thread that I don’t want to refer to at this time).

I hate the sensation when hearing aids go hunting for the right amount of noise reduction. For example, when you are driving a car (alone) and the hearing aids start hunting for just the right amount of road noise reduction for you. I prefer the steady cacophony of road noise (which my brain will tune out) over the artificial volume-down/volume-up from trying-to-be-helpful hearing aids.

1 Like

I have a very noisy 2004 Cadillac that I drive occasionally (its our third car backup). My Phonak Marvels seem to work pretty well if I put them into the “Speech With Loud Noise” program. That said, I believe the major contributor to road noise in a car is the tires. As already noted the luxury cars will tend to be quieter but they may be out of your price range. Also consider getting “noise reducing insulated glass” on your next car. The Tire Rack internet site rates just about any tire you can buy (including All Season and Winter tires) and one of their rating categories is road noise. Might be worth checking out if you need new tires on either of your vehicles.

2 Likes

Navigator.
Infinity QX80
Lexus LS

1 Like

Uggh; That’s no fun. You will be missing out on the Classic Subaru BRZ Rumble! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe it’s time for the “noise-cancelling car” to be invented!?? :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, guys. I may have to up my game some with my next car.

And tires are an issue. I put snow tires on a few weeks back…definitely worse noise now. I can adjust to the noise. I mean, I’ve been driving Foresters forever. But it’s the inability to hear the conversation that’s distressing.
I have been doing some research on moderately priced:

I wonder if the Buick Encore really does what Buick’s website says:

“QuietTuningTM technology with Active Noise Cancellation creates a hushed interior by utilizing its triple door seals, acoustic laminated windshield and front side window glass to reduce, block and absorb outside noises.”

autobytel.com says:

"QuietTuning Buick exclusive process that consists of acoustically enhanced windshield and side glass, along with numerous noise canceling acoustic treatments to reduce, block and absorb noise and vibration to create a quiet interior cabin

Active Noise Cancellation

This technology blocks and absorbs sound, as well as dampens and eliminates vibrations, helping to leave outside noise where it belongs."

Wards has a bit more, in the context of discussing the Enclave:

When spring comes, I want to have a short list of possible cars to test drive.

Sounds pretty sophisticated - if it would actively cancel-out my wife nagging me how I drive, I’ll buy one! :grin:

1 Like

As a former Subaru owner, Subaru is pretty reliable. You could remove the carpet in your Subaru and spray on noise reduction coating on the metal surfaces and put the carpet back on.

My Highlander works fine, pretty quiet. It only has 111,000 miles so no repairs yet. Not one part replaced. None. Not one.

The quietest vehicle I had was a Buick Ranier (many parts replaced).

I have no idea if this is accurate, but this is what Google spit back (must be from 2017) when I typed in the search parameters for a quiet SUV (considering you prefer AWD):

The 10 Quietest SUVs

• 2017 Buick Enclave. The Tri-shield brand has been building some of the quietest SUVs in the industry for a while now, leveraging its proprietary QuietTuning process. …
  • 2017 Cadillac Escalade. …
  • 2017 Lincoln MKX. …
  • 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. …
  • 2016 Land Rover Range Rover Sport. …
  • 2016 GMC Yukon. …
  • 2017 Honda Pilot. …
  • 2017 Ford Flex

I drive a Mazda CX-9 and can attest that it is not the most quiet ride, but given that I have a low frequency hearing loss, it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you. I just kind of stumbled on the Buick when I googled noise cancellation and cars. An Enclave is bigger than I want, but it looks like the acoustic technology has made its way into the lower priced Encore. Plus there’s more than hearing to think about. My Subarus have been completely reliable.

@Noreen1009 some hearing aids have a car program that your aud can install for you. I’m not sure if your brand does though. I had it in my first pair of Phonaks and it worked quiet well for me.

1 Like

+1 for a great pun, intended or not! :+1:

1 Like

Okay, I got it now. You need change the forum title to
Help with Best Excuse to Buy a New Car
:wink:

1 Like

We have a Subaru outback and a Jeep cherokee, the Jeep is a lot quieter than the Subaru.

Just test drive them all🙂

2 Likes

I’ve have Subaru’s starting in 1975. A 2013 Forester & an Impreza. Great cars but still not quiet enough. They still fall into the truck category. I love the Hyundai Tucson. Everyone’s hearing is different. IMHO, pick several vehicles you like and test drive them. Not the typical test drive which is less than 30 minutes, but for an hour or so on all types of roads & traffic. After zoning in on 1 or 2, tell the dealers you would like to use the car for a day or two. Most if not all have Courtesy Cars so it is doable.

It would actually be much cheaper to change hearing aids than change cars. Phonak has Car as one of the automatic environments it recognizes. It lowers road noise. It is adjustable so you can customize it.